WoW is dead, but it's a GOOD thing

Now instead of having 1000000 crappy WoW clones, either the MMORPG market is going to stagnate and fail, or we will actually have some true innovation resulting in the next “WoW” MMORPG.

I for one, am excited to see what happens. WoW has held down the MMO market for far too long, and now that it’s dead, there will be great change.

96 Likes

Dead again?

That spirit healer works overtime, doesn’t she?

Seriously, what would you expect if the game suddenly shut down? That there’d be a dozen new entries to the market in a matter of weeks? Development time on a game the size and scope of WoW is well over 5 years.

What would you do for the next 5 years?

54 Likes

It’s a sad thing if you loved the game, but yes, some company will innovate at some point now, which is good.

13 Likes

WoW is dead?

:roll_eyes:

24 Likes

but “wowclone” is a complete lie of a word.

even ff14, the one everyone claims is just like wow but with a final fantasy coat of paint on it (another lie on top of the original), is absolutely nothing like wow.

13 Likes

i love you so much right now. Never preordering a blizz game again, or buying one until a few months have passed since they are clearly running a business model around such thngs.

22 Likes

Dead again? Probably just playing possum.
It is cheeky like that.

7 Likes

I’d be doing the same thing I’m doing now. Not playing WoW and waiting for a game that actually aspires to be an MMORPG to come along.

18 Likes

This is kind of a silly argument. The reason WoW has maintained its status and playerbase is simply because it has been, with notable peaks and valleys, the best in the market for a long time. You think that better MMOs haven’t been developed because of WoW’s stranglehold on the available playerbase? This is an oversimplification.

MMOs take lots of time and resources. If a better one had been made it could have dethroned WoW; it just hasn’t happened yet, and WoW “dying” isn’t a precursor to a superior game being developed, as this in no way affects the amount of time and resources to create another MMO, nor does it reduce the substantial risk involved. That’s not how development/inventing works. We didn’t have to wait for all the horses in the world to die before someone developed the car, nor would that kind of equine apocalypse make the invention of the automobile any less risky.

10 Likes

WoW is the Grigori Rasputin of video games, you can’t kill it easily. It will sustain through circumstances that would otherwise kill a similar game. And even when it finally happens and the game actually appears to be dead (which isn’t right now, btw), nobody will actually know for sure.

WoW will likely outlive half of us on these forums. Even if it goes into Everquest mode one day.

3 Likes

People who make posts like this only want attention but they end up looking like idiots in the process. Not you, the OP.

13 Likes

At this point, I don’t care anymore. Tapping out with only 2 months left. I just honestly don’t feel the motivation to log in anymore.

I’m the last of all of my rl friends left to play this game. And now, just done.
And you won’t be seeing me at the next patch or at the end of the expansion.
Been burned way too much by just the purchase just so I can play the expansion in Beta. GG.

And no, you can’t have my stuff.
Edit: Black Desert just finished downloading.

8 Likes

…Then what in the world are you doing on WoW forums…?

You people baffle me.

16 Likes

To go from 10 million subscribers in Wrath to roughly 2 million in BFA… yeah that’s a dying game. It’s a shame because BFA has incredible potential. It’s a bummer for me because I’ve been playing this game since 2006.

I agree, the state of WOW is terrible and there’s a benefit to that; the game either completely dies or the game developers make change for the better. Either outcome is great in my opinion. If WOW dies then people can move on to other things in life, perhaps other games. If the game developers wake up then WOW improves and we all will have a good MMORPG again.

5 Likes

Source please.
I’m really not into hypotheticals being presented as fact.

7 Likes

Even if it were true, no other MMO comes close to 2 million subscribers (not registered users, not accounts made, actual subscribers), so if anything it’s more a sign the genre is dying than anything specific about World of Warcraft.

4 Likes

There are a couple YouTube videos that explain that BFA has about 1-2 million subscribers. The content creators do the counting via statistics that are actually available. No one has the exact numbers except for Blizzard who shamefully hide their number count.

3 Likes

:roll_eyes:

Ah youtube…

The venue where individuals utilize bombastic statements like “WOW IS DOWN TO ONLY TWO MILLION SUBSCRIBERS” in order to generate views that in turn generate ad revenue.

Do you remember at the beginning of BFA when some addon tried to make this claim (likely what you are referring to as it was picked up by several youtube personalities) and were forced to take back that claim as it was false?

Pepperidge farm remembers…

16 Likes

A) It was 12 million subs during Wrath.
B) WoW is still the top grossing MMO by a long shot. So they probably don’t have just 2 million subs.

7 Likes