Wow freezing/crashing computer

Starting on Nov 27 after the server maintenance, certain areas (Oribos and the new Bastion arena) cause my computer to freeze completely and ultimately either crash or require a restart. I’m using the 16" MacBook Pro with a AMD 5300M and have not experienced any issues prior to this…

The same is happening to me. I have the 15 in 2017 MBP with the Radeon Pro 560. It passes the SysReqs, but I’ve had several kernel panics caused by WoW since SL released.

I’m getting hard freezes, and so far I’ve only been able to verify they occur in Oribos. First I get the spinning beach ball, mouse continues moving, music plays, touch bar works, then after 10+ seconds cursor totally freezes and eventually it automatically resets.

MBP 16,1; i9 and 5500M gpu, running Catalina 10.15.7.

My crashing stopped after first maintenance

I don’t crash, just freezes for long periods a minute or so, then resumes. It also affect the whole computer although discord doesn’t seem to notice.

Likewise. It’ll either freeze for a bit then pick back up (my character always disappears from the interface during that time, then is the last thing to be drawn in), or it’ll freeze, requiring a complete restart. Areas it happens to me the most: flying into Oribos, getting close to the entrance to the Covenant hall in Maldraxxus. It’s really frustrating.

I’m on a mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro running Big Sur, with a AMD Radeon R9 M370X: 2GB video card (which I had to specifically tell the game client to use, as it wouldn’t switch on its own).

I’ve been getting this too, sometimes using transportation in Oribos (flight master or teleporter) will freeze my game for a few seconds, other times it will freeze my entire computer and I’ll need to do a full reboot. (This happened a few minutes ago and has been happening since Shadowlands launch.) I’ve never had any issues with WoW freezing or crashing before.

I’m running on a 2019 16" MBP, 32GB RAM and an AMD Radeon 5700 XT eGPU, currently on Catalina 10.15.7.

Been getting this as well, and I had no issues last week. Right now it is only occurring when I fly into Oribos the first time during a session. The machine freezes, complete with beach ball, for about a minute and then I get a loading screen, after which everything is fine. As i mentioned, this only happens the first time in a session when I fly there, I have no issues with it at all after, and flew back and forth all over tonight with no issues after the first freeze.

This is on a 2020 iMac that is still running Catalina. It has to be a recent thing that happened, as when the game launched it had no issues here, and other then one patch that had lighting problems in Oribos, there were no issues at here during the Beta.

I myself having been having the same issues with the freezing- beachball- and then it’s a toss up either everything in wow freezes or after a few moments it catches itself and it continues. never had an issue before, running a new MacBook Pro that can easily handle the game. The biggest difference for me is it’s not bastion but it’s Ardenweald that’s I experience this in.

this happens to me 30% of the time upon entering Oribos. either my screen locks up for 10-15s and then returns to normal play, or my iMac is frozen prompting a hard reset.

Catalina 10.15.6
iMac 27" 2020 - 3.6 GHz 10-Core Intel Core i9 - AMD Radeon Pro 5700 XT 16 GB

Changing antialiasing off of MSAA to CMAA fixed all of the Oribis / beach ball crashes for me. Worth a shot!

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/mbp-freezing-in-oribos-figured-it-out-bug/760779

OK…out of the blue I thought about some tinkering I did. I have a Hackintosh (8700K/AMD 5700XT). I recently finally decided to enable my CPU’s GPU (used mostly for video encoding). My crashing in Shadowlands had become unbearable…so I was desperate. I decided to disable the integrated video card…and VOILA! Shadowlands does not crash! I have no idea what a REAL Mac will do with this info…but those with Hackintoshes…give it a try.

My Computer specs…
5700XT
Asus Maximus X Code
32 GB RAM
Samsung 970 1 TB + Samsung 860 1TB (one is Big Sur the other is Catalina).

Hope it helps someone. Maybe the same thing is happening to real Macs. Good Luck!

This worked for me yesterday. Went to CMMA yesterday and had no issues at all. Game isn’t as pretty looking now, but at least it is working until this issue gets fixed.

Hadn’t been to Bastion since launch due to freezing. Been trying to finish off the zone today and my PC will completely freeze every ~45 minutes or so. Was hoping newest Nvidia drivers plus patches would have fixed this issue almost three weeks into the expansion…

Same thing happening to me on an 8 core Mac Pro with W5700X GPU. Entire system freezes, except the music/sound still plays, then eventually the system shuts down. I’m using MSAA so I’ll try switching to CMAA.

I’ve been crashing maybe once per day at various spots on my new 16" mac since SL launched. Today after reset I’ve crashed 15-20 times and I’ve now been playing with the anti-aliasing on CMAA for an hour and havent seen a crash yet in my common places (oribos, maw, kyrian cov). So glad this forum post was here, because I’ve been trying to troubleshoot this thinking it was a software conflict or mac OS issue.

it did something like this on my new m1

im having this EXACT prob and I can’t fix it… literally unplayable on Mac dude

I played all day using CMAA (switching from MSAA), with multiple trips in and out of Oribos, and no freeze so far. This seems to be a workaround for now, though not ideal.