WoW Classic?

All I play is retail, was wondering if classic is worth playing. Is it still played or is it dead and how are people liking it so far

It’s not dead! I’ve been enjoying the game and I’m not even 60 yet.

3 Likes

It’s… different. When did you start WoW? That might indicate if you should play it or not but I suggest trying it out anyways since you get it with your sub. If you like it, keep playing. If not, then despite how vehement some people are that classic is “perfect” (it’s far from it), it’s not for everyone as there’s a much more primitive and badly done class philosophy in it from the era it came out.

2 Likes

I played when I was younger from BC to Cata but I really didn’t know what I was doing lol, took a long break until legion

It’s been fun going back again. Is it true vanilla? Nah but close enough. If you’ve never played pre-cata you are in for a big surprise on difference between the two. I’ve played on PvP and PvE and by far the more active in lower regions was PvE so far. Also a lot of alt guilds and slower players are forming up new guilds etc so wouldn’t be hard to catch up.

You are already paying the sub fee so give it a shot.

2 Likes

There’s plenty of people playing still. Just do some research to make sure you choose a decent server for the faction you want. Some factions on some servers are very low pop.

A ton of people who have hit 60 and basically are done with everything, except raiding twice a week, are now leveling alts. So you’d have company if you started now.

1 Like

it’s been nice to be able to play at my own pace and enjoy myself, when i started in 06 i had to rush rush rush to get set up to A:run my guild and B:Tank for my guild, now it’s just so chill i enjoy it a lot more than retail right now, retail i just fly around and farm mounts in classic i have like 8 things i’m working on it’s a nice change of pace.

1 Like

I love it. Its a chance to play the game I fell in love with so long ago.

But I am on a PVE server and that got me out of a lot of PVP drama. I also like the tediousness of the game, it makes you appreciate the QoL improvements of Retail. I will go back when Shadowlands drops, Classic just kept me subbed until then. I was about to unsub for the first time since I started in Wrath, BfA is just a dumpster fire. (Don’t want to debate that, its just my opinion)

If you love PVP, and I mean would rather be killing, or killed by, other players than the PVE aspects of the game, then roll a PVP server. But if getting ganked endlessly in the open world gets under your skin, roll PVE. But yea, its worth playing, my server and many others are still very busy.

1 Like

Several servers are still busy. Your best bet is to check out here and the Classic Realm forums.

As others have said, if you didn’t play pre-Cata it’s a very different game. If you’re pressed for time to play at all, that’s something you’ll want to consider: leveling, traveling, take longer in Classic.

classic > retail

If you’ve played retail since legion or any expansion since then - nothing in retail changes. They rebadge the same systems and continue the treadmill.

classic has charm that cannot be captured - and you can essentially finish the game, which is much different than retail.

enjoy the leveling process - don’t rush to 60 thinking endgame is the only thing the game has to offer.

1 Like

It’s the best MMO ever made, and after all these years, it is still far better than anything else out there. Modern MMO’s have gotten worse, not better, over time, as they have introduced pay to win microtransactions and quality of life features that cater to the weak, lazy, and entitled. But Classic remains pure. The rewards you get correspond to the effort you put in, as it should be, and the result is that the rewards actually feel rewarding.

4 Likes

It’s fun to level your first character in classic, the quest are nice and have a lot of nostalgia. End game is more grindy than retail and less rewarding (kinda), but at least level one or two chars.

Also if you like pvp it’s a good(?) change from retail, you can end a fight in 10 seconds or less.

I definitely recommend it. But don’t try to compare it to modern wow… look at it like its own game. And be prepared for a slower pace at high levels. Remember the classic wow saying… it’s a marathon, not a race… or something like that… i forget :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would say if you are enjoying retail then stay in retail. Classic is where wow players go that hate the current state of retail.

1 Like

If you ever were to play classic you’d quickly realize how much retail hand holds you and allows you to PAY to win which devalues your game play as well as those around you.

3 Likes

one night a week raid logins,1hr+ horde av queue times and premade wsg meta.the alliance also lose every av just about.

if that sounds fun to you then play it.

It’s free with a sub!

Why wouldn’t you try it?

I love it. I play it everyday. When im at work (like now) I’m on Reddit, forums, and YouTube watching classic vids. Try it out and decide for yourself!

2 Likes

I quit retail years ago, and didn’t resubscribe until Classic was announced. At that point, I did level through Legion and BFA.

Classic is far superior, in my opinion. I haven’t touched my retail toon since launch.

1 Like

If you like instant rewards and epics thrown at you…stick to retail.

If you like a slower paced, harder but more rewarding game…Classic is here, don’t think your going to rush to 60 though…take your time.

Classic really is a masterful game, but it’s not for everyone.

Enjoy, whatever you play OP!.

1 Like