WoW Classic - Unable to start 3d acceleration

Does it work to run the game in Windowed Mode? Have we already reset driver settings to default?

If neither of the above two things work, please also try creating a power profile for the game in the GPU settings.

Running the game in windowed mode after resting driver settings with the individual profile as suggested presents the same issue. If I try to adjust the resolution to my monitor’s native or enable reduced input lag in the advanced settings it crashes and gives the same ‘Unable to start 3D accelerator’ error alert.

Hey, thanks. I just bought a new monitor in prep for classic and was having the same issue.

Disabling the overay seems to have fixed it

I’m having the same problem as others – I disabled the Discord overlay and it still is kicking me out with the error message.

I too am experiencing this issue. Ive tried without discord overlay, in windowed mode, and with several dofferent driver versions installed and am still getting the same unable to do 3d accelerator error. Sometimes the error even crashes my video card to black screen and i have to hard restart my pc just to be able to see the screen again. Quite frustrating none of the solutions ive seen so far seem to work.

Same issue but

• Discord closed, no effect
  • nVidia Overlay disabled + Tray closed, no effect… plus I heart shadowplay :cry:
  • Switching primary monitor, no effect

This did it for me:

• Right click desktop :arrow_forward: nVidia Control Panel
  • Manage 3D Settings :arrow_forward: Restore button (tho I then turned Power Management back to Adaptive)
  • Program Settings tab :arrow_forward: Make sure there are no WoW executable overrides
  • Save all
  • Back to ‘Adjust Image Settings with Preview’ :arrow_forward: Let the 3D Application Decide

This whole thing just reeked of something fighting WoW for low level access. Hope this helps someone else.

6 Likes

This is interesting Orxon. What do you think was the fix. Can you experiment there - try turning power setting back - try the adjust image setting. We are struggling to find solutions for some of these 3D acceleration errors.

I believe it to be a combination of Discord’s overlay and whatever tweaks I may have done in the past to force a better Anti-aliasing setting in Rocket League.

If the Discord overlay doesn’t fix it, I’d have them try the “Adjust Image Settings with Preview” to “Let the 3D Application Decide”.

Ahh - good. Thanks for reporting that.

I logged in to literally say: THANK YOU.

This fixed my exact same issue.

Cheers mate!

2 Likes

Not sure if everyone was able to fix this issue, or only a select few. But I’ve tried Orxon’s steps but the issue continues. I saw a blue post that dates back last year about a workaround. I am running the wow.exe in Windows 7 compatibility mode. This was the only solution that worked for me, which I’m not much of a fan of.

3 Likes

Disabling Discords ingame overlay fixed this issue for me. That’s the ONLY thing I did. I did not do any of the other steps. Mostly cause I’m lazy and didn’t want to do anything overly involved. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Running the program in Windows 7 compatibility mode has “fixed” the same issue for me.

To do this:
Go to your Wow Classic folder > Find the “Wow.exe” > Properties > Run in compatibility mode for Win 7.

1 Like

Same issue, disabling discord overlay fixed it! Thanks!

1 Like

In this video I fix the 3-D acceleration bug to do with windowed mode
Here:

6 Likes

I had this issue, and my DXDiag was perfectly fine, everything was running fine except WoW woudnt launch, i was up to date on my nvidia driver and Direct X. So i dug deeper.

It ended up being that Win 10 Microsoft updates installed a Microsoft driver onto my Intel HD integrated Graphics card. So even tho it will be the NVIDIA card running the game, it wouldnt allow it to boot due to a faulty driver that wouldnt show up as a faulty driver.

the solution was to:

1. Windows + R and Devmgmt.msc
    uninstall the device

2. restart computer

3. install intel driver and support assistant
    and let the intel driver install. what ended up happening now was the device was now named the proper name and running the correct driver and it booted up fine.

Fixed it for me as well. None of the other ideas worked or were not applicable.

Edited by Blizzard - this topic is being locked as this is an old post which was bumped. Please create your own thread or contact support.

1 Like