WoW Classic Era - Unable to complete 45 minute baron runs

in game link didn’t take me to this classic only forum, so making a copy here -

was advised through in game ticket to submit a bug report -

• what char were you logged into when this happened? - Belanna 60 Warrior
  • what kind of run were you doing and what is its name? - Timed 45 minute Stratholme UD Baron run
  • what were you trying to achieve here? To obtain a quest? If yes, what is the expected quest name? If not, then what? This is for the quest “Dead Man’s Plea”
  • were you supposed to get a quest after killing a boss? what is that boss’s name? After reaching the Baron within 45 minutes and then killing him, NPC “Ysida” is released from her cage. You are then supposed to be able to turn in the quest “Dead Man’s Plea” to her, and recieve “Ysida’s Satchel”. Then she is supposed to give you the quest “Proof of Life”. None of this happened.

-What happened to our group? We reached the Baron with 10 minutes left on the timer, rested up for a while, then killed him. When he was killed there was still 5+ minutes on the timer. Upon death the cage opened as expected, and Ysida came out. Instead of being able to turn in our quest, we got a gray “?” above her head. She would then give us the in progress text that should have come from NPC “Anthion Harmon”, “Tell me, is Ysida alive?”. This same thing happened for everyone in the group on the quest. Others have turned in their own tickets.

-What did we try after that? We tried zoning out and zoning back in, same results as above. Next we dropped the quest, and regained it from NPC “Anthion Harmon”. We noted when we visited NPC “Anthion Harmon” that you could not click on him to get the in progress quest text. No matter how many times we dropped and regained the quest. Going back to her at this point still did not resolve the issue.

I also found this link - https://github.com/elysium-project/classic-bug-tracker/issues/920. Shows this was a known bug on private servers they had to fix. My question is this a private server only bug, or something wrong in the base game that Blizzard has not patched? Please advise what can be done here.

for any dev reading this, apparently this is a bug that was found in 2006 and never fixed. Archived blue post tracker found this for your reference -

Poster: Batta at 8/2/2006 5:04:46 PM PDT
Subject: Re: 45 Min Baron Run & Terrible Customer Supp
Our development staff are currently investigating issues which may prevent players from being able to properly complete Dead Man’s Plea after slaying the Baron within forty-five minutes of the quest timer initiation. Please accept my apologies for the fact that you ran into an issue when attempting this quest. Unfortunately, due to the circumstances surrounding the issues that may arise when attempting this quest, we are unable to verify that the quest was properly completed in the given time frame. It is for this reason that we will be unable to compensate your group with quest completion. Again, I am very sorry that we are unable to assist with this matter.

The way in which your petition was handled, Linneaus, was admittedly not acceptable. Rest assured that I have forwarded all of the necessary information onto the appropriate people to ensure that this situation is internally addressed.

They wanted me for their army or whatever
http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.aspx?fn=wow-customer-service&t=98000&p=#post98040
Poster: Batta at 8/3/2006 12:28:24 PM PDT
Subject: Re: 45 Min Baron Run & Terrible Customer Supp
As an update, it does seem to be true that using the “Medallion of Faith” while attemping Dead Man’s Plea will interrupt the quest from being successfully completed, even if done within the alotted time frame. There is also an issue where, if a pet or totem happens to get the killing blow (final damaging shot) on Baron Rivendare, the quest cannot be completed. Unfortunately under either circumstance, we will be unable to verify that the quest was otherwise rightfully completed within forty-five minutes in order to award quest credit. I am very sorry to those who have been affected by these issues and wish you luck attempting Dead Man’s Plea in the future. In the mean time, our development staff are working to resolve the pending issues preventing proper completion of this quest.

We’ve got heads on sticks; you’ve got ventriloquists

1 Like

Was in same 5 man group. Can confirm all of the above. Have screenshots as evidence quest was completed within time limit. NPC bugged out and would not allow competion. Very frustrated at what happened.

1 Like

Thank you for the detailed report. Please keep the evidence and hopefully this issue will be resolved & documented in a future patch.