Wow classic druid question

Are druids good in classic?

Only if you want to be tree

or a corpse

1 Like

I remember bear was surprisingly usable but it took some hella wonky gearing. Like, AH greens and level 47 quest rewards wonky. Feral was “crappy rogue” and Balance was rightfully a meme.

IIRC they were the second best healer and second best tank but for MC at least it didn’t matter because you were mostly there to innervate priests and decurse.

1 Like

2 resto druids usually get brought to raid. 1 bear off tank/main tank depending on the encounter. (Bear druids could out threat warriors on most encounters and this was very important if you wanted to let your dps go ham."

Feral cat required a lot of work and some wonky level 30 dungeon farming for a 3 charge on use weapon. You had to farm dozens of these a week to really min max. If you did this you’d still be below the pure dps specs and our fury warrior overlords… but the difference would be small enough no one will honestly care. Enrage timers were not a meaningful thing in vanilla.

Moonkin was pretty bad in PVE. No real way around it. But once again… there were no dps races.

Druids were fantastic in PVP. Every spec was unique in what it could do and what role it could fill.

News to me… I thought Druid’s were only wanted for healing endgame in vanilla…Now I kinda want to play one.

Thanks for all the info!

This is what made me want to start playing a druid.

1 Like

People’s view of Vanilla classes are skewed by the tint of what was “true” back then. We didn’t have real theorycrafters or people who’d go out and try stuff just to see. Everyone pretty much stayed in their lane and followed the approved and agreed upon strats, tactics and comps. It took people playing for years on private servers to really do all the legwork for finding all the interesting gear combos that could make a “non-viable” spec actually work pretty well.

The one thing that might keep me from being Feral in Vanilla for at least a bit of fun is the CPs not carrying over to your new target. I remembered that the other day and just lost all the wind in my sails. Sadness.

1 Like

My wife just got a classic beta invite. I think I will shelve this druid and go all in for classic when it launches. Maybe go bear…it can’t be much worse than current guardian.

1 Like

Omggg totes forgot about that. That is feelsbadman.

I played druid in vanilla from the start.

I was pigeon holed into healing for dungeons and raids and mostly in pvp.

You could do bear/cat but like others have said it took a LOT of work getting the right gear (mostly stealing pcs from rogues and off set pcs from warriors) and it wasnt until aq/naxx did i start seeing much better options that made these specs more viable at least in pvp, not so much endgame raids.

Balance = Oomkin NOT Boomkin, they were useless.

1 Like

As others have said, Resto is the safe choice for dungeons/raids/pvp. It was also useful in all three without a lot of work.

As for feral, with some random dungeon/quest items and the BIS items from AQ40 it did very solid damage. The PvP set was also incredibly good for feral.

Oh man druids in pvp is fun. In any spec you choose since you have nearly all of your spells except for your talent spells from the other two specs that were not chosen. So say in feral you can tank or dps in that spec. see everyone’s health going down and pop a tranquility to help out the healers. br a dead healer and or innervate some one. so much in the tool kit

Basically, the only viable pve spec was restoration. Feral-resto hybrids mostly focusing on bear form and outlasting enemies did really well in pvp, but balance was useless and cat wasn’t good for much more than stealth and stuns.

If you want to play a boomkin… just make a shaman and go elemental for some crazy burst.

If you want to play a feral… just make a shaman and go enhance.

If you want to play resto… shamans also have a resto tree, and raids typically bring more shamans than druids to raid thanks to totems.

Also, shamans make good use of Hand of Ragnaros, whereas druids do not.

You seem to be pushing me towards Shamans for some reason? From what I’ve heard Feral is better than enhancement.

I have no idea of the significance of Hand of Ragnaros.

RISE UP MOONKINS LET US NOT FALL UNDER THE WEIGHT OF THE NON VIABLE MEMES! :partying_face:

1 Like

remember in classic moonkins do their best dps when you /dance and moonfire every other cast!

1 Like