⭐ Classic is Definitely not Vanilla

Muds are at the top of the mmo tree.

1 Like

Yes but even if we are talking just MMO’s aside from MUD’s. EQ still isn’t the granddaddy.

1 Like

This could be interesting for a Classic+ option perhaps.

My purpose with the thread though is to create an understanding to why it is important for the Classic experience to create the game according to the guidelines in my initial post. Which again do not go against the #nochanges statement.

3 Likes

Oh, I wasn’t suggesting adding those changes… I was just ‘thinking aloud’.

I too would prefer earlier versions than 1.12, but ultimately its not the challenge that was great, but the totality of the experience. And the challenge aspect of that totality would be short lived, brief enough that - and it honestly pains me to say it, I hate this conclusion - it makes little difference which version you use for dungeons. Unless its simply that you find the mechanics more fun. Then its a fun issue, not a nerf issue.

AV, though, is another animal entirely. They’ve given us the disney version of what once was the best pvp war game ever made. Da hell.

1 Like

Repeat the mistakes of the past.
A Blizzard MOTO

2 Likes

Blizzard has already stated their definitive stance on Classic.

Your “#nochanges” statement is not the basis of development for Blizzard’s Classic project. You make it sound like your balancing suggestions are inline with what Blizzard has recently stated about their goals for the project.

You have to hope for Classic+ if you want balancing that existed prior to 1.12. There’s a month and a half to release; Classic is what it is.

Exactly. People didn’t like it. The forums were packed with people whining about changes they’d like to see. Horde paladins. Flying. Class balance. New gear. More to do each day (daily quests).

Request granted.

I think that when people want “classic,” what they want is a re-creation of the feeling they had when they first played WoW. That’s where the fallacy lies, however. That’s called nostalgia.

When a lot of people start grinding classic WoW, they’re going to realize that the modern game is much better, and that:

“I thought I did, but I didn’t…”

2 Likes

Read the initial thread man - it’s all answered there.

But I guess I can repeat my self; I can take one (1) example.

Reinstate the “Zul’Farrak Dead Heroes” in Zul’farak as elites (they are non elites in 1.12).

What are the downsides to this? I dont see any.

• It’s easily done
  • It’s not in conflict with #nochanges (not even close to the controversy with layering, thats a change if anything)
  • It adds somewhat to the challenge (the dungeon demands more respect of it’s adventurers)

etc…

2 Likes

Well, for one, everyone has a pet change that they think is more important than making ZF mobs elite again. So of course they need to have their change too. And then the next guy, and the next guy and the next guy.

Blizzard has removed the decision making out of the process, by making a single decision, to use 1.12. There may be occasional deviations, but that’s Blizzard’s choice on a case by case basis, and with the knowledge that there should be as few changes as possible.

Because what you’re suggesting requires class rebalancing. And at that point we’re seeing a whole different game.

2 Likes

I dont agree.

As again stated in the initial post, the suggestion is for Blizzard to implement the changes that they se fit in terms of patch 1.12.

I also dont agree that reverting nerfs that fit, as my above exampe, will demand a class-rebalane. Not even you actually believes that.

Reverting the nerfs while remaining consistent requires changing the classes back too. Otherwise you’re just another frankenpatch lover.

I dont se the conflict that you are trying to present.

And still, this is not about the “how” but the “what”.

I dont get all the “how” people, stop answering questions on Blizzards behalf, its not your place :slight_smile:

Blizzard already answered for themselves, you’re the one refusing to accept it.

Blizzard said we’re getting 1.12. If you don’t want contrasting opinions, post on your MySpace Blog.

1 Like

I appreciate the input - well most of it.

But speaking on behalf of Blizzard, of what they are capable of and not, is still not your place :slight_smile:

There is no self serving purpose of re-creating patch 1.12 in all it’s “glory” down to the exact number.

This uprise with Nostalrius and the Private server scene who actually made all of this possible, did not ask for en exact replica of 1.12.

Hence the discussion :slight_smile:

Are you their spokesperson? Did the Private server scene ask for what you’re suggesting? Telling us not to speak for Blizzard and then passing yourself off as the official spokesperson for the Nostalrius players is quite pompous.

2 Likes

Part of the problem is that reverting the nerfs wont actually have a significant impact on how hard the dungeons are. If you consider them faceroll in 1.12, they’ll be faceroll with the nerfs reverted.

The reality is that Vanilla WoW, even at 1.1, was never a difficult game. It was specifically designed that way to appeal to a more casual crowd.

The thing is that back then we didn’t have 15 years worth of perfecting the game, YouTube video guides, and dozens of Google results for how to spec/build your character for the average player who doesn’t know the first thing about theorycrafting.

3 Likes

Every little bit that aids to the challenge is still better then nothing. Perhaps many small reverts will, all in all, have an impact towards the wish of my initial post!

I did so many evil things in UO before it was ruined forever.

That game had the second best depth of game creativity that I have seen.

No other MMORPG has ever come close to the awesome level of cruel cunning and trickery that was possible in UO.

Only one game bests it, and its not an MMORPG.

1 Like

We didn’t have 15 years of those things, but we had plenty of those things. Newbs didn’t bother with them, but on the second or third alt they did.

I don’t have a huge problem with it being the nerfed version (1.12). The only thing I just don’t agree with at all is the idea that people are just so much better now. That just does not fit with what I actually see. There were fanatical obsessives back then just like there are now. Pushing buttons is not a skill that takes a lifetime to master.

At the top end there are gonna be guilds that have spent 15 years killing Golemagg on private servers, and for them yeah, it does matter. But for me, sorta been drifting in and out of retail for 15 years and haven’t touched a private server, I doubt it’s going to be much different than creating a new alt on version 1.12 would have been. Since I never actually did that, I don’t know what it would have been like. If I find out that tanks can hold aggro on infinite mobs forever in normal gear, I’ll be pretty disappointed. That to me is when dungeons became boring jokes.