Wow classic cost?

The city usually taxes you for trash collection too so its not a similar comparison.

1 Like

Diablo is not a persistent world MMO… also, none of us own any of our Blizzard games.

Well here’s your problem. You didn’t read the EULA/TOS.
You did not buy a game when you paid for wow. You paid for access to a game service and access to that content.
You own nothing. Services cost what service providers charge and customers are willing to pay.
Read the EULA if you don’t believe me. It’s right there in black and white. Has been for 14 years. LOL

5 Likes

I think honestly, there is a strong reason why they want to tie the subs together thats not just purely financial.

But lets deal with the financial issue first: At 40 bucks and b2p, they make a decent chunk initially. Players who want to play it are going to pay for the box. Players on the fence and curious MAY pay for it, but will likely be turned off completely. And players who arent particularly interested but just want to see definitely wont bother. It’s not the same calculus. You’ll see more potential sales initially. But you’ll also see far less interest (and possibly declining interest as people drop out once theyve had their fill - it wont just be tourists dropping out after all; plenty of people on these forums are going to drift off after theyve got a couple of characters to the mid 30s wall).

Hooray! stable servers on launch (i hear you all cry). But for every month beyond month 3 the player is playing that game, blizzard are losing money. They have to host the game, manage it and maintain it indefinitely. That requires money. This would work if word of mouth spread and the game saw the kind of hype that original vanilla had. But reallllllistically… 14 year old game. 14 year old mechanics. 14 year old grinding. Its pretty niche.
Then to entice people theyre going to drop a trial function. But that may do more harm than good. Again, compared to modern wow its time consuming, frustrating, slow, and a little grindy. its a slow burn. You kinda need to experience that gradual build in power and community ties to properly get your head into it.
So truth be told, the only people realistically picking it up after the first big wave will be the occasional convert and multiboxers. (or maybe when it goes on sale they might score a few more pickups).

And thats not really paying for the wages and hosting fees for this project (not to mention any potential ongoing development).

Yes, sure, rationally we’ll (on these forums 9 months before release) all be delighted: 40<(15 x however many months of sub). At the least this is a 3-6 month grind. And if you put in the effort to hit 60, chances are youre pretty invested to continue even longer. So 40 bucks is a bargain! But blizzard know this. And so its in their interest to make it part of your wow sub. the core of this game are going to pay their sub anyway. They also treat you to a bonus game you can dip in and out of (depending on your interest) when the other one lags a bit.

Which brings me to the main reason:

By separating the subs or payment model, you can completely ignore whats going on in the main game (or classic), and when you lose interest in it, you are free to wander off to the next single player game or even another mmo. And chances are they might actually lose you. But if they can encourage you instead to stay in house, then your typical cyclical sub might find that the change of pace in classic keeps them under that warcraft umbrella (or vice versa when classic starts feeling a bit of a chore), making them an important target for information pertaining to updates or changes in the games.

Youre still subbed, youre still playing the game. When a new patch for the main game starts hitting the ptr, you might be a little more engaged than were you exclusively tied to classic (and had to pay 15 bucks to reactivate your sub just to ‘check it out’). With the subs tied, its literally no thing for you to keep up to date with the goings on in the main game, and if it interests you, maybe returning to that shaman you dropped in cataclysm (i mean, lets not forget, we spent YEARS developing those characters, they still have some value to us). And in the other direction, when the content drought begins, or you hit that ilvl wall, with a tied in sub, you can easily bounce across to classic and check it out for a few months. Maybe even give it another go after the opening week chaos. If you had to drop 40 bucks though, youd just drop your sub, go play something else and maybe not even tune in the next time a patch is dropping. (honestly, i could accurately define my interest in wow by my interest in drama time. When im engaged, im loving it. When im playing something else, im completely ignoring it - sorry preach and ghosty and emma).

Without it, theres a decent chance you’ll simply move from cycling sub between patches to cycling between expansions. The next natural step is to completely ignore what’s happening in wow and look at Anthem or RDR2 or whatever else is grabbing the column inches and no longer bother to even tune in to the latest news and updates. Theyve lost you completely.

So that’s the big reason why theyre tied together. Financials play a part, but the real driving force is keeping those cyclical subs under the wow umbrella long term and invested in not only classic but the main game itself (or, as i keep saying, vice versa). They work symbiotically to keep you within the wow universe.

7 Likes

You’re asking Blizzard to make WoW classic a free to play game (without a subscription) but have a one time cost. Lol. I’m sure you would that. I mean, why pay a subscription when you can pay 60 bucks once and play the game for years on end without ever paying for anything ever again?

Not going to happen. Blizzard wants to make money

3 Likes

you can buy a wow token from the retail auction house for the cost of in-game gold. it covers a single sub. repeat this as many times you want a sub. so no sub fee in that event.

The simple fact is as much as I love Blizzard and all their games on some level, they are not re-creating Classic just for fun. Most likely we’ll see a $30-40 box fee and will need to be subbed to play. Which, to be honest, I’m cool with. Not because I love to pay money for other stuff I won’t use but just to enjoy the experience again.

I don’t think they will do a box cost, they may do some CE type with take home goodies etc but it will probably be like it is now just buy a sub and you get access to the all the xpacs up to legion they will just slap classic on it now.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t give those who are subbed to the modern wow the ability to also play classic for free with their sub. I’m saying they should give those of us who don’t want anything to do with modern wow and modern wow’s subscription model a way to play the game, over watch is just as big if not bigger than wow and they have no sub fee’s and they are making plenty of money from that.

1 Like

Overwatch gets its money from in game transactions. Are you wanting that in classic?

It had a sub fee when it was current, should have a sub fee now.

4 Likes

I would happily buy a collectors edition(provided its not to expensive) if it means not having to deal with a subscription model.

And dasilas modern wow makes most of its money from that anyways so sure I wouldn’t mind having that if it meant no sub fees and the only things it would provide were cosmetic only in nature.

People like you are why this company has turned to garbage. Rush to buy every collector’s edition and fluff they put out. Whales propping up the sinking ship.

1 Like

If someone wants to purchase a CE of something that is there choice, some of us like to collect things they are passionate about and support the company that creates this passion. It is no less than ignorant of you to ridicule people for this. Not to mention the term “Whale” apllies mainly to somebody who buys micro transactions to gain an edge within the game. Blizzard clearly does not produce p2w games.

1 Like

Really? I haven’t given blizzard money in years because I disagree with the subscription model. I also have never purchased a single collectors edition for anything in my entire life but I would do so if it meant not having to pay a subscription fee.

Bad news is: You won’t be playing Classic with us.

Good news is: You won’t be playing Classic with us.

9 Likes

You do know that Vanilla had a subscription right?

As for the notion that you don’t want to support modern WoW… then don’t. You do realize we’ll be able to see which one you log into and actually play right? Meaning internally when we look at metrics we can easily determine that you only support Classic.

80 Likes

every MMO in existence would die to have WoWs success, pretty good for ‘garbage’,lol.

7 Likes

Has nothing to do with not wanting to support modern wow, has everything to do with monthly extortion payments needed to play the game I already purchased. Subscriptions are a load of garbage you pay 45-50$ for 86400 minute of game play(60 days) but you don’t actually get that as the game time expires 60 calendar days later not after 86400 minute of actual game time, we have also already payed 50-60$ for the base game and then 60-80$ for each expansion pack there after.

You have a valid point for sure, but unless something like that happens you are either going to sub, or you will not be playing. The sub is more than fair for me, and like the Blue said, they can tell who is playing Classic and who is not.

9 Likes