WoW Classic closes/reopens itself after about a minute when opened through Battle.net app

I’ve been having an issue in WoW Classic for a couple of months now where it closes/reopens itself about a minute after I open it. Doesn’t matter what I do in-game, I can sit at the character select screen and not touch anything or I can load into a character, it happens every time.

After the game reopens itself, I get the login screen with the error “Unable to reconnect. Please log in again. (WOW51900308)”. If I manually type in my password here it works just fine, or if I manually open WowClassic.exe and log in it works just fine.

I’ve tried reinstalling WoW Classic, I’ve cleared my WTF/Interface folders, I’ve tried all of the basics but nothing seems to work. It seems to be tied to something with Battle.net since it only happens if I open the game through that, but I don’t know what else to try at this point.

Any ideas?

Hey there, Vaindil!

Thank you for reaching out with these details. It sounds like there could be damage to local Battle.net files on your computer, so let’s have you clear out existing files and reinstall a fresh set using these steps:

1. Uninstall the Blizzard Battle.net App (skip Step 6 for now, we will re-install later).

2. Next (before re-installing) let’s delete any Battle.net, Blizzard, and/or Blizzard Entertainment folders in the Windows temporary file locations below. If you don’t see all 3 folders in each location, that is okay—just delete the folders you have):

• Press Windows Key + R and type: %LOCALAPPDATA%. Delete any Battle.net, Blizzard, and/or Blizzard Entertainment folders.
    • Repeat the process for %APPDATA%, %TEMP%, and %PROGRAMDATA%. Delete any Battle.net, Blizzard, and/or Blizzard Entertainment folders.
  3. Finally, re-install the App.

Hello! I tried that today, wiped all Battle.net stuff related from my PC, but it unfortunately didn’t fix the problem after reinstalling.

Try the following steps to clean up the network and potential software conflicts:

Try doing an extended power cycle on your system. Turn off all devices including the modem. Wait 30 minutes, turn on the modem, wait 5 minutes, turn on any network devices, wait 2 minutes, turn on your computer and try the game.

You can try switching your DNS settings to use a free public DNS servers instead of your ISPs Servers:

We do not have individual steps for specific modems or routers so if you need assistance accessing or updating the devices, contact the device maker/provider.

Sometimes firewall or routing software/hardware will have some advanced settings to prioritize and manage types of network traffic. Normally that is not an issue but we have seen situations where it can interfere with the delivery of the data for our games/voice chat.

Let’s try turning off these features:

QoS
SIP ALG
RoG (ASUS Routers Only)
Security firewalls (Some ISP provided modems)

Not all devices will have these options and the steps for turning these functions off will be different depending on the make/model/software version of the devices and programs involved. If necessary look at the documentation for your security and routing products to find out how to turn these options off.

In some cases there is a corrupt or misconfigured setting within the router or modem. We cannot say what that might be offhand but the easiest way to resolve these conflicts would be to factory reset the router and/or modem.

You may need to look up your specific model for the steps on how to do this and in some rare cases you may need to have this done by the ISP. Feel free to reach out to them for assistance if necessary.

Try running your system in selective startup mode: https://battle.net/support/article/200483

Create a new administrator account: https://battle.net/support/article/34550

Once the account is created, shut down the computer, wait 60 seconds, restart, log into the new profile and try the app/client.

If that doesn’t help, use the support button at the top of this page, then the contact support button to create a ticket. Make sure to include the requested system files to aid the technical agents in their investigation of this issue with you.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.