WoW Classic Character Clone Pricing Update

Salutations, WoW Classic players! We’d like to inform you about a course correction we’re making.

When you log in to WoW Classic after the patch next week, each of your Classic characters will choose between staying in Classic Era (version 1.13) and progressing to Burning Crusade Classic (version 2.5). For those who want to play a character in both versions, we’re offering a service to purchase a character clone in the other version of the game.

This service – providing a player with a second copy of a character in a different game – is new for us. Our original concept of the value of this service was largely based on how we price other optional items and services. We want players who choose Classic Era realms to feel as though their choice comes with the possibility that they’ll be able to build relationships and guilds with other players they can count on.

However, over the last week or so, we’ve gotten a very large amount of feedback from the community, and we’ve decided to lower the price. A lower price will likely still accomplish our goals with the new service, while allowing many more players to explore the option of playing characters on both Classic Era and Burning Crusade Classic realms.

After careful consideration, we’ve decided to lower the price of a cloned character in WoW Classic to $15.00 USD ($20.00 CAD, $20.00 AUD, $24.00 NZD). You’ll see the lower price in-game when the service becomes available next week.

As always, we deeply appreciate the passion and thoughtfulness of the WoW community. We play WoW alongside you, and we can’t wait to join you next week on Classic Era realms, in the Burning Crusade Classic pre-patch, and as we step through the Dark Portal with you in June.

Thank you very much,

– The World of Warcraft Development Team

47 Likes

Hahahahahahaha! Sigh…

21 Likes

I wonder how many people are going to complain about this price?

10 Likes

Ah yes, the old fake high price to make the lower price look more enticing. My muscles are unfazed. :muscle:

98 Likes

Thank goodness…

2 Likes

I appreciate the change honestly, I thought the original cost was way too high for what it was giving and this price is much more reasonable.

11 Likes

Great! Now, let’s talk about Season 1 Arena rewards…

8 Likes

*looks at the price of a server transfer

Guys, this is a tactic they’ve taken for one of two reasons:

1. They did some math and realized they would make more money by having more people paying a lower amount than less people paying higher.

or

1. They were never going to keep it at the absolutely ridiculous price of $35, and they’re now trying to make you feel good about purchasing this lower price because it’s “such a bargain” compared to what it was originally.

Not that I really think we should be paying for this at all, but this service should never be per character. Try fixing that point next Blizzard.

Edit: I feel the need to add this to my post:

This is completely irrelevant when discussing the price of this service. A price tag on the character copy does not create a possibility of building relationships, if anything it removes those possibilities.

47 Likes

Man, didn’t take long for the bargaining to start - don’t be thankful they lowered the price - go for more cause Classic folks are some greedy peeps for sure.

14 Likes

it’s ridiculous that this costs money at all

59 Likes

Thank God. Maybe now all these streamers and youtubers (that plan to copy and never play the character ever again anyways) will finally shut up about this stupid topic.

8 Likes

It feels wrong to dignify this with a response lol. By all rights, that should be right up there with EA’s infamous pride and accomplishment reddit post.

19 Likes

I can clone my character to the ptr for free. Not sure why this isnt free as well.

24 Likes

Still not buying it.

30 Likes

This is awesome!! Thank you for listening to everyone!

I am sure the people who plan on playing both characters will be very happy with this decision!

5 Likes

Thank you for lowering the cost. Now I can clone the 4 characters I wanted to and have it be within my budget. This is a great change and is appreciated.

9 Likes

Im glad to see the price drop! I still haven’t decided what I will do with which toons but I’m glad to know the price has lowered on this. It gives me more choices.

4 Likes

Thank you for lowering the price, but you guys can do away with the boilerplate response. You knew that was too high when you did it.

26 Likes

Overshot the original price by $20, totally normal mistake to make

/s

11 Likes

Yeah no.

You give us the big ask @ $35 and then lower it when people inevitably complain.

I see the Blizzard tricks.

23 Likes