WoW causing Blue Screens

I’m not sure how it got above base clock in the first place. I certainly didn’t do it! I don’t even know how!

Motherboards come with turbo mode enabled… usually just a check box in the bios to turn it off. You know the model number of the motherboard?

Yeah i still have the box :slight_smile: it’s a B550 Aorus Elite Gaming motherboard

Under advanced cpu settings should be a setting core performance boost. If you disable that it should lock the CPU at stock speeds. Then test wow

most CPUs has a max 105c … Once most CPUs hit 90 to 100°C, they will begin throttling (lowering their clock speeds) to avoid overheating. If temperatures rise further, the CPU will shut itself down to avoid permanent damage. A CPU can run 8 to 10°C cooler in a spacious computer case with excellent ventilation vs a small, cramped case filled with dust bunnies. Here’s how to check if your computer case is doing a proper job of keeping the CPU cool:
Measure the temperature of your CPU with its side panels removed
Close the computer case (put back the side panels) and check its temperature again. If the average CPU temperatures rises more than 5°C when the case is closed, then your computer case lacks adequate cooling. You’ll need to organize your computer cables, get more (or better) case fans and consider using a modular power supply to minimize clutter. The average Intel & AMD desktop processors should not exceed the safe/normal CPU temperature range of 45-50°C when idle, or 80°C while gaming under max load (laptops temps are a little higher). you can get a program that lets you adjust the cpu fan to run faster (i forgot the name) but the noise of the whine of the fan maybe unbearable.
Change Power Plan Settings

1. Open Control Panel
  2. Select Hardware and Sound.
  3. Select Power Options
  4. Select Power Options from the list.
  5. Find Related settings area in the right pane and click Additional power settings under it.
  6. Click Change plan settings under the plan selected.
  7. Click Change advanced power settings.
  8. Find Processor power management and expand it.
  9. Expand Minimum processor state and change the value to 100%.
  10. Do the same for Maximum processor state.
  11. Click Apply and then click OK.

or you can make another power plan and put the value to 95% and it will downclock the CPU a bit

The CPU has a max temp of 95c. The 5xxxx series run hot. Have one it idles at 45c . Normal operational temp is 60 to 75 c. As long as the case has good air flow removing the side can actually make it run hotter. Normal fan curve for that CPU does not even spin the fan up until it hits about 42 C. At about 82 C the CPU throttles.

The stock coolers on those are not good enough for any overclock or even turbo mode.

You would have to drop it a lot more then 5 percent to drop the temps to the normal range. If turning off the turbo feature fixes the issue. Then the permanent solution is to replace the stock cooler.

I use my stock cooler as a cool AMD paper weight.

I dont have a program/app that looks like that. I installed the one from the DVD that came with the motherboard, but I can’t find any app within it that looks like that.

It’s at 5% minimum rt now on the “balanced” plan, before changes, if that means anything

the “High Performance” plan is already at 100% / 100%

When the computer is booting hold down delete key it will take you into the bios. There also should have been tuning software that came with the motherboard that should also be able to turn off turbo mode.

Do you have a computer savy freind that might be able to help?

Replying to let you know that this ended up being the problem. The motherboard came boosted by default, which i had no idea was happening at all, and was never a problem until i installed a better video card that made the CPU work.

I disabled the auto-boost two weeks ago, and have not had one problem since. No crashes, no blue screens, and not a single temperature above 70C.

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP
Mods can close this thread now. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would replace the stock heatsink in the future. With a nice one or a water cooler.

You are welcome