Wow 2: If not now, when?

The repetitive 2 year cycle of expansions must end.

Every time an expansion comes out:

1. Promises are made and broken,
  2. Talent trees/powers are torn down, rebuilt and reintroduced,
  3. Claims of “listening to the player base” are made,
  4. Paid subscribers come back and leave disappointed,
  5. Lore goes off the rails and dungeons/encounters are recycled with the same “you’ll never beat me” boss dialogue,
  6. After a year a new expansion is promised! (rinse, repeat, recycle - enjoy that 14 month content drought paying $ each month)

—> I mean enough is enough, its time for WoW 2 and a new re-imagining of what a World of Warcraft would be like (designed using a modern graphical engine). Updated graphics, VR Support, new systems and experiences that go beyond ilvl item chases. Completely redesigned zones that support world exploration and discovery. I mean, if not now, when?

4 Likes

That wouldn’t be WoW though now would it?

The game doesn’t need to be turned entirely upside down on its head and redesigned from the ground up.

Just fix what’s broken, take out what nobody likes (systems like borrowed power such as conduits etc and endless grinds like boreghast that are absolutely necessary so that you don’t fall behind), and stop leaving the consumer base hanging for 8 months at a time with no content or updates.

1 Like

This is somewhat changed with Shadowlands, esp. with the changes to the old raids coming up next season!

eh im fine with the 2 year cicle.
I dont see the point of having another mmo of the same franchise, most the time companies which did that had the same issue: all they got was a old dead game or a new dead game lol.
Not really interested in playing a non kb+mouse game either, VR is pretty overrated.

It’s unlikely that they will actually make WoW 2 until WoW either declines enough on it’s own with the passage of time/continuing to screw the game up further OR an actual “WoW killer” comes out that just steals what would be considered an “unacceptable amount” of the player base.

Then again who knows what Microsoft has planned. Maybe they think that they can just design something so amazing that they want to go ahead with it.

But I think that’s just wishful thinking on my part, as I think that WoW 2 would be a great thing, as we could get an updated engine and hopefully they could do things from the start like SWTOR with regard to the story. Imagine a fully fleshed out story with fully voiced cutscenes for all the main story quests, etc.

Would be pretty cool.

People keep buying xpacs and staying subbed, why would they change it?

This is not old school blizzard, this is activision. They are here to make money only. I still can’t believe people haven’t accepted this

Explain how creating WoW 2 and screwing people out of hundreds of extremely difficult or impossible-to-obtain mounts, achievements, etc would be a good business decision for Blizzard.

People don’t enjoy having 15+ year investments become obsolete, it makes far more sense to continue to release new expansions and build on the original game.

Yeah that’s how literally every sequel has worked since the beginning of time.
lmao

Yeah makes sense since their subscriber count is drastically bombing! Just ride out the remaining player base and add zero new people. Genius!

The game is tanking, it only adds back old players when expansions drop and when they realize it’s the same thing they quit. They need to do something fresh and new. And the 12 retail players with their 15 years of mounts will just have to get up, shower, and move on.

3 Likes

“WoW 2” is already here. It’s called retail.

“Sometimes you have interesting things to say. Sometimes not so much so.”
-I say it how it is. You however shoot the messenger simply because you don’t like the news.

“I’m shooting the messenger?”
-Yes, and me telling you the reality is not a “bad take.” Retail stopped being “WoW 1 with more expansions” a LONG time ago. It is already a totally new/different game at this point. The best we could hope for is something totally different, like a starcraft MMO. But even that is a stretch because they’d still be competing with themselves.

I’m sorry Drain.

Sometimes you have interesting things to say. Sometimes not so much so.

This is one of those times where it’s just ridiculous.

I’d call what you said just now something much more… deliberate, if you will, as that is what it deserves. But then my post would just get deleted and I’d get a vacation.

WoW 2 would be a brand new game in a brand new setting, maybe even a new planet, who knows. But most importantly, it would have a brand new engine.

Like just…man I just want to call your post what it is right now but aren’t allowed to directly say something is well, you know, not so smart, or asinine, or ya know, much worse.

I’m shooting the messenger?

No, I’m shooting the person with a bad take.

WoW 2 would be a brand new game with a brand new engine.

Retail is WoW 1 with more expansions.

Good lord what a terrible take.

Not really, many cases sequels just fails.
In both scenarios the risk is just major, thats why most avoid doing mmo sequels unless they are 100% sure the older version is going maintence mode,.

When?

That’s easy: never.

2 Likes

Retail is so full of achievements and mounts and cash shop items, it’s almost impossible for Blizzard to “retire” the game. Payers have invested so much into it.
Let them have their How-to-train-your-dragon expansion and endless avatar customization.

The WoW Classic project on the other hand.
Now is the time for Blizzard to plan ahead what they want to do.
If Blizzard alienate the Classic crowd too much they will lose subs and people will go back to playing on private servers.
Going to Cataclysm is very controversial and personally I think it’s a bad idea primarily because the old world is gone.
WotLK Classic will have to be left behind at some stage.

What we need is a Classic+ project.
This would involve starting WoW Classic fresh again, but add in the good elements, and remove bad elements. So it’s not so much a recreation, but a redesign of the Classic game.
Moving forward they would need to add new content to the game as well, but in a classic style, not with expansions.

Gonna laugh when M$ dumps/phones in recycled content for this game and focuses on consoles because Sony must be driven from the field of battle.

You look silly.

WoW 2 will only ever happen when Blizzard thinks it’s financially viable to do so. That most certainly isn’t now and frankly, it might not ever be. Especially since MS seems more interested in keeping WoW going than making a sequel. Understandably, since they want to recoup the cost of buying Activision-Blizzard after all. Not spend hundreds of millions and close to a decade making a sequel that may or may not bomb.

Besides, who would ever want to play a MMO made by the same people responsible for Diablo: Immoral?
If you had asked me a couple of years ago i would have been all over a potential WoW 2. But these days i don’t even want to touch anything coming out of Blizzard with a 30 foot stick.

1 Like

Retail is so insanely different from vanilla/tbc/wotlk that it already IS “wow 2”.