Would you recommend this game to a friend?

a friend recently recommended it to me and i have a single character at 120 and it is very convoluted. the “systems” everyone calls them in shadow lands seem even more so and even less casual friendly

i’m struggling to get the right essences right now and in shadowlands im supposed to know which covenant conduit chocolate bar w/e the heck they’re called i’m supposed to want and if i get it wrong or want to play a different spec they make it hard for me to switch?

In all honesty I keep playing thanks to the guild I play with right now.

It is a guild that is not casual but it is not hardcore either.
Just last week we were able to kill Hivemind in Mythic and now we’re halfway there with Ra-den.

It is a guild where I can say “they are friends” for sure.
If it wasn’t for the guild then I would have quit the game many years ago.

My friends are different.
It is not for the dramas or the like.

They don’t have much free time so they want to progress without the pressure of being tied to a schedule.

But progressing in a raid without a schedule is not very healthy.

You are tied to pugs and after the first wipe you ALWAYS have the one who says anything, insults your whole family, your dog, your cat and your friends and then leaves the group.
Forcing you to waste even more time.

1 Like

Yeah, I’d recommend that people try WoW. Maybe they’ll enjoy it and maybe they won’t.

Personally I would not, I’m not happy with where the game is or where it’s going systems wise. I’m not going to inflict that on someone new that has never played WoW before… or even returning players.

2 Likes

Yes, there are aspects that are still fun. But I would not recommend for anyone with an addictive personality.

sounds like you need better friends!

Most definitely!

No, I don’t want my friends to know I’m this much of a nerd. :nerd_face:

At the beginning of an expansion, yes. Middle to end, no… The catch up involved is enough to make alot of new folks quit.

How is someone who doesn’t like a game that is mostly grindy systems on top of systems a bad friend? Should people really give up their real life friends and limit their interaction to people who are so addicted to the game that they can’t admit it’s a different game than it used to be?

2 Likes

I would have recommended 8.1. Shadowlands, with the antiroleplaying Covenants system, not so much.

I wouldn’t. I think a game like this is severely outdated and I am only still here from sheer addiction.

Translation: It’s fun.

Yep, we know.

Nope, 14 year time investment is why I’m still here. New players would probably think the game is awful

2 Likes

Anybody who is a gamer probably already knows what WOW is, odds are they grew up hearing about it from pop culture so they don’t need to have it recommended to them.

If they like this type of game everyone I know is already familiar with it.

Yes, I would recommend WoW.*

*Only if you play Horde.
1 Like

I wouldn’t have recommended that 1-120 climb to anyone new.

First, let me get some friends, Then we’ll talk.
But let’s say I do have friends, at its current state I would not recommend.
the reason I keep playing is because I was playing when BFA came out, I got my flying, I did the story, I am invested, I got almost all essences (the ones I needed and wanted to try). anyone joining now will be so far behind they will feel extremely underpowered compared to the people you find in +15 pogs and even they are usually pretty damn bad.

BFA is not new player friendly, at all.

Hopes up for shadowlands but will probably still be bad for new players in the mid of an expansion

Nope… I like and enjoy my RL friends. I’d like to keep them.

I have asked my friends to join me in playing wow. they just don’t want to pay the sub fee. would they like it? probably not to the extent i like it. a couple friends would only play once a week. a few others would rather play dota 2 (they’re kinda addicted to it, lol)

to start, my friends would play it very casually. we’d all level up our characters from scratch. since the story is a complete mess in this game, i don’t see them getting to max level. they’ll want to play the rpg aspect, and not just dungeon or pvp grind to end game. IF we got to end game, they’ll probably get quite annoyed with the time gating. They’ll probably get annoyed with pathfinder for flying. We’d probably spend a month at end game, and then they would fizzle out.

I think they would enjoy the pvp and mythic plus aspect of the game since its kinda like other games as far as competitiveness and a couple kinda like diablo. I just think the timegating, and multiple system grinds would turn them off.

so, would i suggest the game? yes. would they like it? probably not. theres enough nonsense to deal with at end game that doesn’t make it worth their time. plus, they don’t want to pay the sub fee. they wouldn’t play enough to justify the monthly fee like one does with netflix.