Would anyone be interested in helping me write up a character-creation guide?

Lmao alright friend, glad to know that the conspiracy-minded are still out there.

I’m waiting for the next big “Moon Goons”.

Moon Goons is so 2014.

The average poster here doesn’t know who made a report or how many reports were received or if the moderator simply observed a violation. My opinion is that there has been a challenge of the idea not an attack of the player.

The same cannot be said for others.

Several years ago, I came across a pretty neat little system for creating characters with depth. it comes from script and screenwriting, and is called a “Character Diamond.”

Four traits that define the character. These are usually ONE WORD traits and can also be called values. A great way to remember the diamond is by using the wedding jingle:

“Something Old, something new, something borrowed, something blue”

OLD: a trait common to the race of the character.
example: Greed. Eddy P covets wealth and is driven to accumulate it. Nothing needs said about this typical Goblin trait.

NEW: Something different from the racial norm.
example: Clean. Eddy P is meticulous in keeping himself clean, pressed and in good order. Goblins aren’t known for cleanliness. So a new trait to the race.

BORROWED: A trait taken from another race/class/part of society.
example: Eddy P is generous. Now, this might appear to be in conflict with greed, but in fact acts as a foil. He covets the accumulation of wealth, and will willingly share with his cohorts. It can also create internal conflict, which makes for an even deeper character. Does he sell the bars of gold, or give them to his best friend to make a mechanical gadget? Yikes!

BLUE: This is the complete unique trait that makes your character stand out, makes them memorable.
example: Eddy P is stylish. While others may disagree on the definition of style, in HIS mind, he’s all that and a bag a chips.

So, the diamond reads: Greedy, Clean, Generous, Stylish.

There is no order to them, with one being more important than the other. Also, I didn’t put a ton of thought into the ones I chose. They are close for my character, but could be adjusted with a bit of deeper consideration.

Four traits are all you need to build a fabulous character. Also, once chosen, these traits are iron-clad. Everything the character does, how they act, is driven by one or more of these traits.

I’m not sure if this is where the OP was going with the thread, but if you’re considering ways of making characters, this is a fun way to go about it.

7 Likes

Bookmarking this method. This is absolutely fantastic, and I’ll be sure to try it out when making new characters!

2 Likes

Cheers! Glad you like it. Wish I could lay claim to it’s creation, but using it is good enough for me! I don’t remember the full name of the screenwriter, David something, but he actually taught a class on it, from my understanding.

An RP friend of mine shared it on a website devoted to immersive RP (now defunct) and I’ve never forgotten it. She actually had a thread going called Character Diamonds and we had a blast creating new and interesting characters.

2 Likes

This is amazing. I have been considering making a Horde character for a while now and will certainly reference back to this when I work on fleshing out things. Thank you so much for sharing!

1 Like

imagine being this fragile

1 Like

I mean you’re clearly the more fragile one here. Dragging up by now what is a days old section of the conversation that the topic has moved past just to belittle someone certainly seems as such.

4 Likes

No, CLEARLY you are. Not even a single Indestructible bonus on your gear… tsk tsk.

3 Likes

Weak b8 m8.