[WotLK] Shaman Tanking

I’ve thoroughly enjoyed having my shaman tank be my little meme pet project throughout both vanilla and tbc classic. It’s just a stupid, yet fun, goal to shoot for when you’re otherwise all caught up with the current content.

The issue is that Blizzard seems to always be attempting to actively discourage it from happening, which I never understand. In TBC, they decided to make it so that Shaman can’t parry unless they take a 30% melee threat reduction. They could have EASILY tied that threat modifier in with the dual wield talent rather than the Spirit Weapons talent, but it seems they did it to specifically make shaman tanking more difficult. I have no idea why they would just randomly hate on it. It’s not like the existence of a meme shaman tank was impacting the game in any negative way. Now that we’re moving into WotLK, they’re giving absolutely massive threat buffs to all tank classes, so that they can compete with the insane amounts of threat that dps will be throwing out, but there is no way for Shamans to also achieve this threat boost.

It seems kinda hypocritical for Blizzard to be making changes to WotLK Classic, in an attempt to make the game retain some of its vanilla/tbc feel, and then at the same time remove a long standing meme spec from the game for no apparent reason at all.

4 Likes

Shaman tanking was only ever intended to fill in for regular dungeon groups in classic. With crusade, paladins can now do a much better job (actually best tank), so shaman was bounced out. It would have been nice to have another tank though because classic/crusade are seriously short on them. I can’t wait for wrath where there will be far more tanks thanks to the flood of DKs, which I’ll be playing as well.

“he tank shortage has nothing to do with the amount of classes that can tank”
-That’s as far as I read because it was too ignorant to justify reading any further. The amount of classes/builds that tank is a huge factor.

“Now look you can have a million dks but that doesn’t mean they’ll tank.”
-This is true but we’ll still have a ton more tanks in wrath than we ever had in classic or crusade. This is the reality I don’t think you guys realize.

You lose everything that even allowed you to tank at all in wrath.

Just the way it is.

2 Likes

not really. Threat seems to be the only road block. The gear and defensive stats look to be fine in wotlk.

1 Like

Shamans aren’t tanks so it’s all good

5 Likes

The tank shortage has nothing to do with the amount of classes that can tank, just look at retail. Also, the flood of dk tanks are going to be absolute garbage and honestly I wouldn’t invite a dk tank for the first few months unless you know them.

1 Like

People will have to work harder to carry you is all.

1 Like

No, they wont be. Again the other people will just have to carry harder

1 Like

We get DK and bears get better at aoe threat so they are funner to play. I’m sure warrior got some QoL improvements. We don’t need shaman tanks

1 Like

Adding a Wotlk glyph to remove the threat reduction of Spirit Weapons would be massively helpful.

Starting a petition might be useful, need I remind people they added Seal of Blood to Alliance because they were doing less DPS…

Adding a Wotlk glyph would also go in line with the fact that Blizz will allow Shamans to sign up as Tank in the Dungeon Finder.

2 Likes

If a group runs with a shaman tank it won’t be optimal! That is a cardinal sin in today’s wow. RP, experimentation or just plain fun must not threaten the optimization gods.

2 Likes

If a group runs with a shaman tank it wont just be sub optimal, it will struggle to succeed at all.

And we all know that failing a dungeon run in a decade old video game is unacceptable!

1 Like

If you wanna waste your time be my guest, I would prefer not to.

This entire game is a waste of time, why not have some fun?

3 Likes

Wiping in dungeons over and over because someone is trying to do a job they aren’t equipped for is fun?

This information has been available to you since original burning crusade.

Also, why do you think blizz would redesign an ability like that lol… do you not understand the can of worms you are opening up?

It’s more fun than speed running a dungeon you’ve done a million times just for some trivial reward.

2 Likes

Delusional sadge

That’s gonna be a no for me. Wouldn’t even entertain the idea of inviting a shaman tank for anything.