[WOTLK] Shadow Word: Pain and Haste

Nochanges, specially balance changes.

2 Likes

Especially the PTR part of it. There are plenty of players of all classes that are very much willing to test the changes and theorycraft.

This is one thing that is missing from original Vanilla/TBC/WotLK, the theorycrafting is already solved in Classic. Back then every patch brought some changes to balance.

It is a tough sell however because it’s supposed to be WotLK as it was so any changes is a major risk, even if the change is small.

3 Likes

It would be nice that’s for sure. It never made a ton of sense that it didn’t work the same on all dots personally.

3 Likes

Unless I’m wrong you’re talking about the seal of blood changes right? Making SWP scale with haste in order to bring their damage up to par with other classes is different imo. Why not change sub numbers to make it viable, or buff arms to be more on par, etc?

Also worth mentioning is if they introduce these changes, why didn’t they in TBC? TBC is way less balanced in pve and pvp than wrath is. Why not make dots scale now, or increase damage or reduce mana costs for classes that struggle to compete with the top classes? This is a balance change, I don’t think it should be explored. (And I’m not part of the nochanges crowd, either. I just think this takes it somewhere they shouldn’t go.)

No offense but that kind of got tossed out the window when they started making changes to major systems. It’s definitely not going to be WotLK as it was because of that anyways.

1 Like

Because they have their place already.

1 Like

They are already implementing changes like allowing Death Knights playtime in pre-patch & letting people boost to level 70, I feel like a change that will improve the QoL of a fair amount of SPriest players wouldn’t be extreme.

What possible place does subtlety rogue have in the game? It is horrible in pve, which is what the thread is about. If you say pvp, shadow is also really good in pvp so that doesn’t fly either.

1 Like

It is a pvp spec, like frost.

1 Like

You can apply the same logic to shadow is what I’m saying. If the idea of the “hybrid tax” is outdated, and thus shadow should be changed to be more viable, then so should the idea that subtlety and frost being pvp specs and not useful in pve. It isn’t any different than changing their functionality to be on par with others.

1 Like

Indeed, but where I think given the facts that this change was on the 3.3.0 PTR, removed because of “Hybrid Tax” by the devs, among the other things the OP listed.

I think any changes that would affect PvP would be a grave sin and a death sentence for Classic WotLK.

Thats why my solution of taking it onto ISH:P and only affecting NPC’s wouldn’t be met with alot, if any, pushback by the majority of the playerbase. Much as the Seal of Marty/Seal of Corruption addition to Paladins in TBC.

The thing with this change in particular was it was almost in WotLK 3.3.0 but got taken out because of the hybrid tax as the OP has documented citations.

I’m not advocating for SW:P to scale with haste in PvP but rather only in PvE on NPC’s.

I would like to know your thoughts on the addition of Seal of the Martyr and Seal of Corruption in TBC.

1 Like

Wasn’t needed, shouldn’t have happened.

It’s less about altering an entire spec. Haste was introduced, then taken away because of balancing issues. They resolved those issues and implemented the haste buff to corruption. It’s very reasonable to think SW:P would behave similarly.

2 Likes

I don’t support ANY changes.

1 Like

I don’t either, not class balance changes anyway.

1 Like

Oh, i will fight against any change, even if it’s a losing war. I came into classic wanting Wrath, not nu-Wrath.

I agree with the changes in theory, I just disagree on actually implementing them.

I mean if they can do it by just adding haste to a dot or something. It’s not like people are asking them to completely rebuild and rebalance the class. It’s literally applying haste to one single dot which will bump things up a bit but shouldn’t suddenly take them to top DPS.

In my mind they opened that can of worms when they started handing out entirely new spells to factions that didn’t have them in TBC.

2 Likes

Shadow is hybrid. Frost and sub arent.

And this is coming from a horde paladin who if this change wasn’t put in Horde would be the go to faction for raiding, ret would be essentially dead on Alliance.

Even private servers would add the seals to each faction because of imbalance.

I honestly think you are a troll.

I think there is a massive difference between Hybrid Tax and X spec being best for PvP over Y.

Also there is theory crafting to be done in WotLK, we might see Spell Power Enhancement shaman be viable.

The devs, paraphrasing here, said Corruption scaling with haste is OK because Warlock isn’t a hybrid, SW:P scaling with haste is not OK because Priest is a hybrid.

Blizzard would be capable of adding to ISW:P talent scaling with haste on NPC’s and would make S Priests wanted for raiding instead of just having your token 1 of. It wouldn’t affect PvP (which no change should affect PvP imo) and it’s not like its an entire rework/rebalance of a class.

I beg to disagree. Most private servers had both seals for both factions because of Balance. If both seals weren’t in TBCC we would likely have 80%+ Horde and 20%- Alliance for balance.

1 Like