[WOTLK CLASSIC] do legacy addons work?

I understand wrath classic starts with the 3.3 client. is that correct?

as such, do addons from 3.3 work in classic wotlk?

can someone paraphrase for me? perhaps point me to any resources that might be available?

I’m looking at my 3.XX ui backups from like 10 years ago.

thanks

Sad to day that the best answer is going to be “some will and some won’t” - WotLK Classic is not precisely what was advertised. It’s more of a weird hybrid of Classic and Retail and that hybridization is going to break some (or all) of the original addons that worked back then.

If you have addons from that era, I’d recommend simply trying them and seeing.

1 Like

and how did they manage to screw this one up?

I mean… is it fixable? is it a matter of updating addon headers, or something more?

sorry im just really out of the loop.

“Gimme the old XPACs” combined with “But I want <insert long list of modern features here>” demands from the user community is not a recipe for a simple re-release of what was.

It’d be a case-by-case, code-line-by-code-line fix.

I mean, just about anything is fixable.

Addon headers won’t stop load and expired ones don’t make something broken.

It’ll be more a question of where valid assumptions about how things work made when the originals were written are no longer valid.

so they’re retired some legacy wotlk calls, but not all?

or rewritten some of the calls?

or both?

Probably the biggest change would be that the secure environment is in play in more areas than during the original WotLK. Some systems have changed which are being used in todays WotLK UI code etc.

It would depend on the addon as to how much work would be invloved in “bringing it up to spec.”.

The addon API being used for Classic is the modern API (with a few tweaks for classic.) You probably have a better chance of a retail addon running in classic than one from original Wrath.