Wot in an Oppressed Nation

Haha! Yeah, that’s pretty awesome.

…I don’t know if anyone from Capcom is even going to read this thread ever but if you do happen upon this, please. Guys. Give us a Dino Crisis remake after RE3 D:

Yeah looked it up “Ultra raptors” require a 20 raptor kill no damage streak and then you need to leave and re-enter the area they’re immune to the stun effects of the Stun sword and Machete and pretty much require heavy fire to down without being torn to shreds.

A normal raptor kill is worth 100 EP an Ultra raptor is worth 7000.

Whistles …damn. Yeah I never managed to get a score like that. I remember the first time I found the Raptor file and saw mentions of the Ultra raptors… they sounded awesome and I really wanted to find one. And at the same time, hoped I never would.

I guess I was lucky. xD

I very rarely went for them mostly because raptors are sneaky buggers and i almost always end up eating a hit because one leaps out at my side while two more flank from behind.

I always got ambushed by raptors. One time I played on normal difficulty or …was it hard that made you need hemostats? I had a scary moment where I almost bleed to death after being mauled by a raptor. I was very lucky… the next room happened to have just what I needed, enough to get back to yellow caution HP at least.

…wait, did they still use the Resident Evil style HP meter in Dino Crisis? I can’t even remember now…

I never played the original two games, but I did get Dino Crisis III and I loved it. It was this weird, stupid game that had mutant dinosaurs in space and android waifus.

It was a dark and troubling period of my life.

If we’re talking games that stayed with me, it would be the Legacy of Kain series.

To see Kain, and then Raziel, plunging into the timeways and clashing and allying with each other, the Old One, the ancient vampires and the enemies of the ancient vampires, to see their relationship as master and servant, father and son, brothers in arm evolve, decay, mutate and be reborn with each new game.

And then to see Raziel’s final sacrifice, to save the world, to save his master, his creator, his enemy, his friend, and Kain’s utter horror that after all the adventures, the conflicts, the time spent jumping backwards and forwards through time, risking being destroyed by an Old God, the demonic enemy-race of the ancient Vampires, the machinations of Mobius the Time Guardian and each other, that there was no way to save both Nozgoth and his ‘son’, and to see Kain stalking out of the ruins as the Old One screamed defiantly it could not die, it could only be buried, and it would rise again to consume their Undying Souls, only for Kain to snarl back that it had ‘best burrow deep then’ and that haunting line that he’d been given the perfect, bitter gift of hope, to have all the corruption and manipulations, the deeply-engraved and immutable alterations to Kain’s very soul healed by the souls of every wielder of the Soul Reaver and the souls of the previous Balance Guardians.

Kain is whole, purified and ready to lead a new generation of Balance Guardians, as was always his destiny, to raise them as Vampires, immune to the corruption of the Old One thanks to his new status and the effects of the Soul Reaver, which will in turn make the Pillars of Balance immortal and incorruptible once again, and Nosgoth will once again thrive … and he’s only had to murder, betray and destroy everything to see it done, including everyone he’s ever loved.

And he knows, better than anyone, that Raziel’s soul, trapped now and twinned due to everybody’s meddling with the Time Stream and the ‘blessed’ Soul Reaver, will inevitably go mad and become a insane beast chained to the blade and ever thirsting for souls. The very event he willingly risked complete obliteration from existence to avert time and time again, and changing the very history of the world for no less than three times happened anyways, despite all his raging against fate and destiny, all of his manipulations, his deceits, his many, many sins and bargains, and nothing he could do could spare Raziel that loathsome destiny.

It was a tale of betrayal and forgiveness, brotherhood and spite, heroes failing and villains dreaming of something purer and the malicious, manipulative evil of things far beyond the ken of mortals with all the world and all the souls therein as the pawns on their chessboard.

Those games played heavily into my favourite choices for my D&D campaigns and the stories I write. That even the most loathsome of beings with the most horrendous of fates might very well be the hero we need in the end. That the most virtuous and noble of beings could be the true villain despite all the good they do. That when one gambles with destiny to defy their own fate, one had best remember that destiny plays for keeps, and the deck is always stacked against you. Always.

1 Like

I have never played a legacy of kain game and after reading that feel like i missed out something awful.

I wish I managed to beat Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen. I got soooo close. I never got to play Soul Reaver. I did get into Blood Omen …2? I think it was Blood Omen 2. I remember there was a Sarafan Lord who turned out to be from another freaking dimension.

I really hated the Hemostats in Dino crisis 2 because it always felt like such a tacked on thing.

“Oops forgot to buy hemostats from the vendor and now i’m limping and bleeding to death and using all my healing items.”

I remember the bleeding really eating away at your health super fast

Fair enough. I came to appreciate moments of bad luck like that; either Dino Crisis’ Bleed effect, or getting poisoned in Resident Evil. Especially Resident Evil though, since you had to be very careful about certain enemies exactly because of poison. If you didn’t have a blue herb or just got unlucky…

Oh that reminds me. Resident Evil 2…they actually wince and gasp in pain when hurt; and if you get poisoned, your character actually coughs and gets woozy.

They really went all out in making that game as immersive as possible. And I’ve seen a mod now that lets you play it in First person on the PC.

I’ll never forget that moment when the person trying out the mod on their Youtube vid was running from Mr X, got lost, turned around and then got socked right in the face by Mr X.

I scrolled down the comments and like …3 comments down I see "Welcome to the precint, son!’

There was a lot of things wrong with the series, but …

… it was never afraid to embrace a lot of dramatic stuff and unironically run with it. I need to find a way to get it all running on a modern PC again, bleh.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying a something despite all of the flaws it has. My favorite series of rpgs is a series called Shadow hearts and the first game is gloriously janky

On the Subject of X though if this happened to me i’d just quit the game.

and poison ugh i have been working on no time to mourn and i hate the new poison zombies

HA! That’s never happened to me, fortunately.

Also @Gentarn man that game looks awesome. I wish I could’ve played it. I saw my uncle start playing it but never got to play it myself…

I have two resident evil runs recorded on my PC right now because my cousin was too scared to play the game himself and wanted to watch a run of it.

One is a normal standard run and the other is a Assisted mode no item box no healing run and screw doing that specific achievement duo on anything other then assisted

As to the poison zombies …yeah those things are annoying. I almost beat No Time to Mourn but unfortunately I didn’t have a flash grenade to get through the final helicopter I needed to escape.

Still so annoyed by that D:

I don’t even want to play Hardcore. I gave it one attempt, got bit by a zombie and hit danger and I was like ‘…no.’

I can’t do hardcore in under 2 hours 30 minutes so now S+ rank but i did manage to do it in 2 hours 51 minutes which got my the infinite light machine gun.

Game stops being scary when you have an infinite light machine gun.

And don’t feel bad i did not even attempt hardcore until i unlocked the unbreakable knife and handgun

I thought you needed to hit 2 hours and 30 minutes on Hardcore for an infinite smg and to not save or something? I need to look up the requirements… but then, I feel content enough with an infinite Samurai Edge handgun.

Doing Leon hardcore in 2 hours 30 gets you a rocket launcher
Claire gets you an infinite version of her end game Minigun

You only get 3 saves for S+

But doing hardcore with just a simple S ranking gets you the light machine gun.

You try logging off and back in again?