Wot in an Oppressed Nation

Yeah, they’re kinda one of the few animations studios over there left who don’t burn through their staff like an arsonist in the middle of a pine forest, so his claim … sounds off. Like, really, really off. We’re saving face kinds of off.

And yeah, agreed Zunde, but I’m hoping they’ll dig through his story and either exonerate the company and this monster’s victims of his slander, or if there is substance to his story, use it make sure other folks are driven to similar levels of desperation. I’ve lost two friends over there to the overwhelming pressure to succeed at any cost while simultaneously having to deal with an inflexible and backwards attitude to people who don’t come from the ‘right’ families or backgrounds, and while it does not in the slightest make what he’s done right, it just rings waaaay too many alarm bells for me not to wonder what the hell triggered this and how the hell one nutter with accelerant and a lighter could cause this kind of damage.

Japan’s criminal justice system is basically the harshest in the developed world. This is one case where I can’t find it in me to be bothered by that. This guy is going to get his, as hard as it can be given to him. A better person than I would argue for compassion, but… Nope.

This is now the worst domestic terrorist attack to occur on Japanese soil, exceeding the death toll of the subway gas bombing.

3 Likes

I won’t even humor the idea that somebody is a better person then me.

This person perpertrated an atrocity and should have his rights as a human stripped and be put down like a mad beast.

Save bleeding heart and rehabilitation for criminals who don’t commit what amounts to mass murder.

1 Like

Good god.

And if they do find this bozo sent death threats beforehand, will the people who simper that “you should just ignore them, it’s the internet” kindly shut their mouths for all eternity?

6 Likes

Not on their lives. In two weeks, they’ll forget this ever happened.

3 Likes

What’s worse?

That they’ll forget it happened in two weeks because they’re honestly that shallow and simple-minded, or they’ll forget because there’s a steady stream of these kinds of horrors being perpetrated continuously?

And yeah, more reports are coming in, turns out the guy not only snuck in during what appears to have been a meeting between the studio and another animation studio by pretending to be part of the other group, but may have used home-made petrol bombs, as multiple witnesses reported multiple loud ‘bang’ noises, which would also explain how a single person created a fire of such magnitude that it could close off multiple exits so quickly that so many people couldn’t escape.

I’ve seen this message making the rounds so I’ll repeat it here: Do not donate to any gofundmes you see, none of them are official, some may be scams, and it’s not clear how or even if they can get funds to Japan effectively.

To support Kyoto Animation, go to their website (it’s in Japanese, you may need to run it through a translator) and buy their digital art. It’s about $2 per print, it’s all automated so you’re not putting any effort on any of the remaining employees, and that money goes right to them. It will ask you for a Japanese address, but there’s no verification process so that won’t stop you. This way you can get them funds in the most direct way possible and also get cool art.

This studio is famous for having its people’s backs, so funding them is a safe way to get it to the people who are going to need it.

8 Likes

I’ll second this.

While i’ll humor the idea that some people set them up with the best of intentions the reality is that they’re probably scams set up by worthless pieces of trash trying to profit off this.

3 Likes

If the company’s already got their own thing set up, all the better.

Just … damn, you know? The one I had linked was put up by an affiliated american company of KyoAni, but that’s also a valid point. We had the same thing with the Christchurch incident.

2 Likes

Just came here to post this

1 Like

https://comicbook.com/marvel/2019/07/21/watch-natalie-portman-receives-mjolnir-thor-love-and-thunder/

Who here is ready for Jane Foster as Thor?

2 Likes

I’d accept a female version of any current superhero, if only for the extreme nerd-rage that would follow.

It’d also be an interesting change of pace. There’s also a Batgirl series coming to CW, probably a result of Supergirl doing well.

1 Like

The Jane Foster as Thor arc in the comics is really well done.

2 Likes

They are RUINING COMICS WHAARGARGLGLARGLBARGLE

srs mode, I don’t hugely care. Portman’s a fine actress but her character in those films was always something of a snooze. Then again, so was Thor. It’ll probably work out.

I’ve never read comics very much, but I’m sure you’re right.

1 Like

I won’t spoil it for you in case the movie decides to go the same route. But it was pretty neat. Maybe it’s because I have a badass mom and sisters but whenever I hear guys complain about gender stuff it just makes me think they’re pussies. I don’t get how it matters.

3 Likes

It mostly matters to the kind of guys who have nothing going for them but the presumed sense of superiority that comes with being part of a dominant group. Like, for example, being male. Pointing out to them that it doesn’t actually make them superior is very much an attack on their very identity.

Oh, I just wanted to recommend Supergirl again. If you enjoy superhero content, there’s no real reason to not give it a go since it’s incredibly easy to access on Netflix. She’s getting a new costume in the upcoming season and it looks neat.

https://tinyurl.com/y2acj3rg

For those who don’t want to follow the link, essentially she’s wearing pants now as opposed to a skirt and I think her top is redesigned?

The fragile manbabies have already started complaining.

Meanwhile apparently Marvel’s What If… is going to introduce “A Certain Watcher” and the first thing that popped into ny head was “Original Sin”?