Worth rolling mage or warlock?

I’m going to reroll from rogue but stuck deciding whether to roll mage or warlock for PvE mostly.

Doesn’t look like rogues are going to get any attention and stay at the bottom of the pack this xpac for PvE end game. So rather than just unsub I’d like to try at least another class.

I’d like to bring some raid utility and damage. Seems like both classes have specs that players deem trash but at the same time both classes have at least 1 spec that is at a really good spot right now.

Opinions?

I’d say mage. Especially fire mage

Little too early to tell for that but ok.

Mage will always be a safer bet as warlock already has one spec blizzard ignores- demonology. Same boat with hunter and survival, its only good on accident. Mage will always be viable, warlock also to a lesser extent I imagine. So just pick whichever one you like more. Just know as a warlock you will likely only play affliction and destro.

Thanks for the insight. That’s the impression I get, mages will always be viable in every xpac in every season.

Even when I played rogue in older xpacs I always felt like I was at the bottom of the pack and whole xpac no attention came from the devs. Ultimately I quit not wanting to reroll… 2 xpacs later I’m back! making the same mistake lol

Same for me, I rolled a mage this expac after playing dk/shaman mainly and its nice to have everything be easy for me.

What about arcane? I’d argue it gets about as much “love” as demo does and it’s a lot more boring of a spec to play imo.

1 Like

**Wipes away Arcane tears…

To be fair, that is typically 1 more viable spec than Mage. Going from the past few expansions, Mages will have 1 high dps spec, one mid-pack and one bottom. If you want to top those meters, you’d best be prepared to play Fire and get used to a mashy 10s dps window.

Does mage not do damage outside of combustion?

Also, rogues also have a 7 second burst windows but our damage is complete trash

It does relatively little outside of combust. But big damage in it. And your outside of combust rotation is still pretty important for good damage.

I disagree, arcane has gotten significantly more love so far this expac than demo. Their leveling perks were better with the mana return on arcane barrage making them stronger and the venthyr change looks to be quite strong for them single target.

This is true, although demo is getting the base damage of one of their spells buffed alongside multiple legendary powers. But yeah, arcane is usually in a better spot than demo.

I think big green chaos bolts are sexy and it gets me excited when I see a warlock drop someone with them. But yea I went mage well before I knew how they would be this season.

One thing with Fire Mage, they are not really desired in RBGs where as I know many groups that specifically seek out a warlock for whatever reason.

TBH Boomkins seem to be the preferred caster this season. Groups will take multiple Boomkins, they will not take multiple mages.

If you go mage you have to deal with alot of hate from plebs who still think we kill everyone in one second, which is false.

If you care about solo content, roll a warlock. They have so many QOL that i’m Jealous myself.

If you care about self preservation then roll mage and never look back