World PVP = No Flying?

Its pretty obvious that the only crowd that is yelling for us to stay as slugs for a year are the world pvp crowd. Which makes me think about the bigger meaning here. If most Alliance players will not play world pvp unless there are massive incentives that cuts off about half the games population. Then there are many horde who will find ways to world pvp in flying that would just rather have flying off the bat. So thats about another at least quarter of the wow population. I am Being very generous in assuming about a quarter of the games players like world pvp and play world pvp as their form of enjoyment. It is still 3/4ths of the wow population that would prefer to fly.

This is the inherent problem with warmode and removals of pvp servers. Now we have to balance the game around a warmode feature that only a quarter of gamers actually use.

Blizzard should just make The Maw a no flying zone while making the other areas flight accessible from day 1 and/or account bound flying once pathfinder 1 is finished.

7 Likes

#doubt

I actually haven’t seen or heard that argument anywhere. The people who don’t want flying are all about immersion and what not.

1 Like

Seriously, why do people assume the reason we have pathfinder is the PvP crowd? Last time I checked, they are not the game developers. If Blizzard actually listened to them, they would have had PvP merchants in BFA.

So stop acting like pathfinder is a player based design and understand it is the developers who are saying “no”.

15 Likes

Quoted for truth.

2 Likes

Weren’t they originally scrapping flying altogether in WoD, but the outcry made them compromise with pathfinder? How anyone thinks thats the PvP crowd’s fault is beyond me.

5 Likes

WPvP crowd here and I fully support flying. Due to the time it takes to get to WPvP without flying kills it for me, especially because I like to play the WPvP responder type.

The flying debate wasn’t a thing til pathfinder came out. Before then everybody was fine with it. Pathfinder is boring, time gated, and lazy design with no intention other than to keep players busy through repetitive tasks.

7 Likes

Exactly, they wanted to remove flight in WoD but player outrage was such that they brought it back but added Pathfinder. No clue why anyone would think that player opinion on this actually matters. The anti pathfinder crowd has been crying about this for about 5 years and Blizzard has stood firm on it.

4 Likes

World PVP went down on PVP servers ever since flying became sequestered and gated badly.

And this has led to world PVP servers being deleted and warmode put in its place.

Sad.

Most of my world PVP memories come from the BC, WotLK, Cata and MoP expansions when flying was available. A good example of flying being a great tool is to counter an alliance raid on Serpent Spine Horde PVP vendors (PS Blizz bring back PVP vendors). The flight masters was being camped so a counter raid had to utilize flight and land on the other side of the serpent spine to come at the alliance raid.

Now current world PVP in BFA with warmode is just a bunch of people riding around looking to gank.

Even classic PVP has better world PVP now because the maps are better designed for ground travel. BFA maps are poorly designed for ground mount usage.

5 Likes

And hopefully will continue to stand firm.

1 Like

Hmm Hmmm, this is new. :thinking:

If players stood their ground and kept canceling accounts over no flight/Bliz pathfinder comprise in favor of designing the game around flight we wouldn’t be in this situation we are now.

But being the wow addicts we are this is where we are at and Bliz is ok with it so nothing will get changed for the better.

3 Likes

You haven’t been on the Classic forums, then. There are at least 2-3 threads a week about how flying killed world PvP, ignoring that it was mostly ganking and counter-ganking and revenge ganking outside of ‘events’ like someone getting the idea to raid Stormwind or Southshore. Once BGs were in place for a (mostly) fair PvP experience, world PvP was just ganking and the odd event.

3 Likes

I am standing my ground. No reason for me to cancel I like Pathfinder.

1 Like

Simple solution to the flying/non flying. If you have warmode on, you can’t fly. Seems like a simple solution, not sure why it has not been implemented yet.

6 Likes

I don’t pvp, but there is that net thing right? it pulls peeps down?

Flying doesn’t hurt WPvP, so that’s not a good compromise. It should just be unlocked by completing the zone quest lines and exploring.

WPvP suffers much more from random unbalanced items and gear, like glidering away at the first sign of trouble, Legion where people could just straight up delete geared players with the right Legiondaries, or BfA where everyone and their uncle is hopping around like a rabbit on crack with their Nazjatar seed pods.

Let me start by correcting you.

I don’t engage in World PvP and I appreciate that there is no flying for the first year or so.

When I’m leveling or exploring it’s far more satisfying to encounter other people with whom I can work together and travel, even if it’s in mostly silent cooperation and the occasional thanks.

Once flying rolls in it becomes a world of disjointed players popping and in and out of the space like popcorn.

3 Likes

I agree with you. I know you guys exist also. Thats why I said

I just wish the devs would come up with a better solution already.

Mainly based on my prior forum topics on flying and the crowd that responded. Blizzard does not give me any metrics so I have to base it off the info I have. Most of the people in Classic are arguing that Retail WoW should be flightless. Most people that wanted to be flightless on other forum posts by others and me came from a world pvp perspective. I know my metrics are wrong as its impossible to be 100% correct with the info given but its a discussion I want to have. I agree with PVP merchants also but Blizzard is weird as to what they consider feedback vs just noise.

MoP had it all man. The last time I subbed just for PVP. It had vendors that we would world pvp near. It had flying off the bat so doing dailies did not feel like a major chore. It had a PVP progression path that was great. It also had the no flight zone of the Timeless Isles where alot of pvp happened. Idk why they changed it on us.

1 Like

PvPers just don’t care anymore.

You PvE babies already ruined our servers so this doesn’t matter anymore.

At least we have some small comfort knowing your going to suffer for a while.

Thats fine. You can appreciate that. No issues here. However in no way does my ability to fly stop you from not flying and enjoying the world how you like it. In that same way I would like you to understand that I also get my fantasy part of this game, and truly enjoy everything the art team created, once I have unlocked flying. Until I have unlocked flying it all feels like an endless time gated grind of just going from point a to b. Because everything takes longer I do not stop to smell the flowers. I run as fast as I can to avoid all mobs and issues to get to my objective.