šŸ„“ Worgen Lore - Ask me questions!

Life got me busy for the last month and a half, and I didnā€™t have the time to respond in as much detail as I wouldā€™ve liked. But I have just recently been informed that Blizzard has deleted all their old forum postsā€¦ meaning all other answers to such questions I have posted in the past are wiped off the map.

Which kinda sucks.

So, Iā€™ll be getting back to this thread, and my other worgen lore projects I had previously set aside. This may be a blessing in disguise in one way, since people wonā€™t be seeing the ancient posts still claiming worgen are shadow-creatures and other misconceptions, but also means I have to be quick about it and answer what I can.

Worgen Digestion and Bakerā€™s Chocolate

I had a whole post typed up on this one, preparing to respond back in December when you posted. I ended up doing math, comparing charts, researching enzymes, and came to the sophisticated conclusion that I have no idea. Curse of the Worgen paints worgen as the ā€œbalancedā€ form between man and wolf, and Wolfheart supports this calling even Greymane and his pack ā€œcarnivoresā€. There are several NPCs ingame that thirst for meat, and Anduin in Before the Storm appreciates that a worgen army can feed themselves just by hunting. The sources definitely support that worgen can live and thrive on meat, but it is unclear if a high dose of theobromine would be harmful or not.

The general consensus regarding chocolate and werewolves in other literature is that it takes a large amount of chocolate to event effect a large dog, and werewolves are far larger and often far heartier, thus it would take an absurd amount to effect a werewolf. And while Worgen do not have the classic healing factor, they are resistant to undeath thanks to their ties to not one but two benevolent deities. So when it comes to lore, I have no definite answer there, at this time. But when it comes to roleplayā€¦ we know when it comes to people, everyoneā€™s metabolism is a bit different, and some people are able to digest certain foods better than others. Your characterā€™s ability or inability to easily digest a food such as chocolate could be an interesting character trait to explore, similar to Raedolfā€™s allergy to cats. Every meal has to be cat-free now.

2 Likes

The Worgen ā€œCurseā€

This one had me thinking all month. Most of my time is spent studying the worgen and the curse as it is, not in how it could have been, so I had to consider other material. Both in World of Warcraft and from Hollywood. Lycanthropy has always been somewhat different in every rendition, from Teen Wolf where it makes Micheal J Fox a highschool rockstar, to American Werewolf in London where it completely ruins his lifeā€¦ in the last five minutes of the film. And then of course harking back to the folklore, in which it was depicted as more of an ability used by witches or serial killers.

As for World of Warcraftā€™s worgen curse, and how it could be more ā€œcurseā€ like if done differently, these come to mind.

The Curse in Lore

In World of Warcraft, Blizzard has chosen somewhat of a mix, and it has been a curse upon some and a blessing upon others, often depending on how the character got it, if they wanted it, and how well they manage it or accept it. Characters like Sven Yorgen, Tobias Mistmantle, Alpha Prime, Genn Greymane, Ivar, Gervase, Anatoly, Eadrik, and more all have taken the curse differently, and I love the adaptability Blizzard has shown.

Nowā€¦ if I were to look for ways to make the curse more of a ā€œcurseā€, a few ideas come to mind. Worgen are already beset by predatory urges, thatā€™s canon, so thatā€™s not an answer. There is no cure, and worgen are driven to their true forms when they are driven to anger or concentrate with a force of will (see above^), so thatā€™s already canon as well.

Concept: Shorter Lifespan

A couple easy answers would be Lifespan and the Mindless State. We still do not know what worgen lifespan is, whether they age as humans or as elves, or are immortal or not. Some theorize they may be immortal, since Wolfheart shows Genn does not feel the aches of age at all in his true form, and leaps across the battlefield with as much youth and strength as the youngest of his men. After all, the trolls (the shortest lifespan) evolved to Kaldorei (one of the longest) thanks to Elune, and it is Eluneā€™s power at the source of the worgen curse. However, there are others that theorize the opposite, that to become a worgen is to be doomed to the relative lifespan of a wolf, which lives up to eight years in the wild. If this were true, it would certainly be enough to be considered a curse, if not even a death sentence to races like Humans and Kaldorei that would have lived much longer.

Concept: Inevitable Mindlessness

Again with the ā€œless time to liveā€ concept, there is the Mindless State. As it stands with worgen, the mindless state is a panicked bestial state of fight-or-flight similar to a rabid animal, that some may lose themselves to if they are not careful. With worgen, it is more or less treatable and does not effect everyone. With forsakenā€¦ howeverā€¦ the mindless state is inevitable. With the undead, the mindless state refers to the brain rot that eventually occurs, growing worse over time until the forsaken is either put down or is left to shamble aimlessly. Applying such a ā€œtime is limitedā€ concept to worgen, much like the forsaken or Meridaā€™s mom-turned-bear in Brave, the worgen curse would definitely be considered a curse.

Roleplay, Curse Management, and Racism

Now as for roleplay, the worgen curse can still be a curse and a point of inner turmoil if you wish. There is the regret of what you may have done while going through the initial shock and panic of your first change, as well as the perpetual call of the wild that may be a curse to an aristocrat or vegetarian. It is also shown to be more difficult to manage by those with great inner turmoil, like Sven Yorgen or Halford Ramsey, so a character fighting with PTSD on top of the curse would have quite a time. Not to mentionā€¦ there is also the great racism towards worgen, all throughout lore and even today. In Wrath of the Lich King, a whole village of people were killed by the Alliance once they were revealed to be worgen, Lord Godfrey decided to commit suicide rather than follow a worgen as his king, Revil Kost the priest loves rats more than people and considers worgen the vilest of creatures, and the Carevin family in Darkshire spews suspiciously Scarlet Crusader sounding propaganda while paying adventurers to hunt worgen. Playing a worgen for several years, I have had the opportunity to experience how these little tidbits of human racism on worgen have effected the playerbase, and it is fascinating to witness the change in behavior one a character - or a player for that matter - realizes you are a worgen in human form. For a Gilnean noble type character who cares about his image, this strike against them may be all they need to consider it a curse.

In conclusionā€¦ I would say the worgen curse is great how it is, and I would not personally change it. The way it is set up, the curse is what you make it. To quote one of my favorite family filmsā€¦ it is not the power of the curse, it is the power you give the curse. It appears to be different for every character, a curse to some and an answered prayer to others.

1 Like

So, in regards to the whole reproduction situation, where we know they are born without the curseā€¦ Is there cultural ritual for children of worgen/Gilneas who wish to join the pack?

Pack culture seems extremely high, so it almost feels like it could be a coming of age rite despite not all Gilneans taking on the curse, like our lovely princess.

Thoughts?

First thought, I do not believe worgen bear human children. Sadly all my detailed posts explaining why are lost from the old forumsā€¦ but long story short, ā€œcursesā€ are heritable. See Curse of Flesh, Sethe, Horns of Echoā€™ro, etc. Regardless, children worgen can happen one way or another (see Lilā€™ Bad Wolf). So letā€™s talk about how.

Nowā€¦ going under the idea that worgen do bear human children, there are still those who would want their children to have what they have. There is no lore of rites of passage, besides perhaps the Bloodfang and Nightbane and their Righteous Kill. This rite (shown in Curse of the Worgen) requires you to kill a human enemy of the pack, after which you earn the bite, and become a worgen. That could easily apply as a rite of passage to such a youth aspiring to become a worgen.

However I do know that people such as the Bloodfang Pack live in a hostile territory populated by Forsaken, and would want to bite their child as ees early as possible. Every year their child is a human, is a year at risk of being captured and turned into a Forsaken, whereas the worgen curse would grant them immunity from undeath (Silverpine questline). Nightbane similarly have populated Duskwood for thirteen years, and I have no doubt that couples would have formed in that time. Like the Bloodfang, the Nightbane are part of the Wolf Cult (shown in Dark Riders) and consider the worgen curse to be a blessing. Likewise in a territory populated by undead, and seeing the curse as a blessing, would likely give the infant the curse as early as possible. Which, considering how small the Lilā€™ Bad Wolf is, is rather early on.

1 Like

To be fair, thereā€™s been exactly one blue post on this issue, and it suggested they do, in fact, have human children. While a curse might be heritable, that does not automatically imply they all are. We currently know of two ways to be afflicted by the curse: being bitten by one, or willingly drinking the blood of one.

A lot of people are quick to look at fluid exchange as the transmission vector, but I disagree. While true of some depictions of Werewolves, these are not Werewolves. They are Worgen, and they have their own way of doing things. In this case, it is act, not substance that transmits the curse. The act of the Worgen biting the individual is what passes the curse, not infected saliva getting into the wound. It is the act of knowingly drinking a Worgenā€™s blood that passes the curse to the drinker, not the blood itself.

The baby is involved in neither of these acts while in the womb, and thus is not born cursed.

However, I understand that this is an unpopular take on how the Worgen work, despite coming from a Blue Post. And while he admitted to not being one of the big lore-team members in the post, itā€™s worth noting that heā€™s never been contradicted in any official material that Iā€™m aware of. Regardless, I will not belabor this point any further, and will leave the topic open for people to continue posing their questions about various points of Worgen Lore for the sake of their RP.

And as an aside, I really hesitate to use battlepets as a factor in meaningful lore discussions, lest we be expected to find a serious lore-based explanation for Baby Winston, or the Zergling from the classic collectorā€™s edition.

On worgen tails :dog2:

Pasted from General Discussion

I acknowledge that [some players] want tailed worgen, and [some] are willing to break lore to justify it. I am not. Worgen are worgen, and worgen do not and never have had tails, nor do they need tails to be worgen. However, if tails must be added to satisfy the vocal minority, then there is a tasteful and appropriate way to do so, as long as it meets certain criteria.

1. Lore :scroll:

Lore should matter. And it does matter. For one, Blizzard Entertainment has ā€œLore Historiansā€ employed as a full time position to keep track of it all, they have paid several professional authors to write novels to better depict events and scenarios that cannot be done justice with a questline.

Money spent on lore

DC comics and Dark Horse comics, and more were hired to write books on past events in the timeline. Not simply for entertainment, but to explain lore. It is through Curse of the Worgen that we discover what really happened in Gilneas, in Dark Riders that we learn what feral worgen are truly like, and in Wolfheart that we are shown how Gilnean worgen have adapted to the worgen lifestyle. All this was founded in these works, and used as the foundation for even more, such as the Legion Scythe of Elune questline. In fact, World of Warcraft cares about lore so much, that they spent two years working with Dark Horse comics to create the three part Chronicle series as lore bibles and official timeline of events.

Between employees, companies, and time, Blizzard has devoted quite a lot of money into lore, and therefore considers it greatly important. The few things that they may do against it are few and far between, and are done for different reasons.

2. Standards :memo:

Lore should be followed, and can be used to support creative ideas. It is true, Moonguard has quite a lot of creative and lorebreaking ideas, and when I had to choose between the lorebending moonguard and the loreabiding wyrmrest accord, I chose the latter. Worgen do not have tails, that is lore, and therefore on the rare occasion that someone walks up with a tail, or wings, or another mutation, they are expected to have a good reason. Some can call it elitism, I call it standards. Even so, when someone attempts to join the guild with a crazy idea, I do not shut them down. Rather, lore itself can be used to offer explanation, if you know where to look.

Canonicity and creativity

Instead of rejecting a crazy idea, I delve into the appropriate lore, and find something to explain how the idea could be supported in a canon way, so they do not have to make vast changes to their backstory. And if not, then something to the same goal. No, Steve, worgen arenā€™t allergic to silver, but you could have been cursed by a mage with a sense of humor. No, Bob, humans arenā€™t immune to the worgen curse, but those memories of having been bitten with no effect could have been implanted. No Jefferey, worgen donā€™t have super healing, but perhaps you could have been blessed by a loa.

In the case of tails

In the case of tails, this ā€œuse lore to explain itā€ stance still stands, and there are some good possibilities. There is absolutely no need to disregard the game, disrespect its creators, and discredit lore, and an explanation can be found. But it does have to meet certain criteria.

1. :wolf: Unnatural
    • There is no lore saying worgen cannot have tails. But there is all lore showing that they do not, and never have. The natural state of worgen is tailless, that is fact, and so a tailed worgen is unnatural. The first worgen were normal, Alpha Prime was normal, Halford, Genn, Ivar, Gervase, Shagra, Eadrik, Mardigan, Sven, Whal, Ulricha, were all normal worgen. The addition of a tail option would be exactly that, an addition.

1. :lion: Acceptable
    • The Pack Form is considered forbidden magic to the Cenarion Circle, and the Worgen Curse is considered a curse by the Alliance. The worgen player character is a Gilnean and a member of the Alliance, which is a big reason why playable worgen use cat form instead of Pack Form; you are not allowed to. No matter how you twist it, becoming more wolf would be frowned upon, like becoming corrupted.

• The only reason Gilnean worgen are tolerated to begin with - unlike Nightbane or Bloodmoon worgen - is because their affliction was unintentional, and something that has befallen them. Intentionally becoming an undead or void corrupted is frowned upon, but deathknights and void elves are accepted because they are unfortunate victims. In this way, a mutant worgen may be acceptable as well, if it was not their intention.

1. :waning_crescent_moon: Powerful
    • The worgen curse is a powerful thing. It draws directly on a wild god, as well as the one true deity of Azeroth. In fact, it was done directly by Elune, without Goldrinnā€™s permission (kinda like how she blackmailed Malorne), shown in Curse of the Worgen. It is able to spread to others, persists through death and to the afterlife, and there is no cure. These are facts, and a testimate to just how powerful the worgen curse is. No one has altered it. If it was possible, Gilneans would have altered it to be less bestial. Therefore, any kind of direct alteration to the worgen curse on any worgen would have to be more powerful than Elune, by Elune herself, or with her support.

1. :partying_face: Personal
    • Preferably, the reason behind a tail mutation should be personal to be believable, to explain why most worgen are normal and have been normal throughout history, and why the individual is an outlier. But not so personal - like being the chosen one - that others cannot use the reason as well. For example, the Night Warrior scenario occurred to a small number of kaldorei, the Horns of Echeā€™ro to a small number of tauren, and Durzaanā€™s void curse on the small number of elves.
      [/details]

Tail possibilities

1. :x: Half worgen form, half Pack Form
    • The worgen form is half wolf and has no tail, in mind body and spirit. The Pack Form has a tail, and is fully wolf and has a tail, and is fully wolf in mind and body. If one were to balance between them, being 25%-75% man-wolf, like the Might of Grizzlemaw form, one could become a more bestial worgen with a greater hunch, bestial eyes, a feral mind, and a tail. While easily possible, it would be a druid form only usable for short periods of time, would likely be frowned upon by Gilneans and Cenarions, and most people advocating for tails do not want to be more bestial to do it, so a sub-form would not work for most players.

1. :x: Some always had tails
    • As said with the added lorebreaking skincolors, going back and re-writing that ā€œthis was always the caseā€ is not fair to the playerbase, and is a major continuity error. Whatever possibilities there are, it should be an addition, and explained.

1. :question: Emerald Dream Corruption
    • I will mark this one as a maybe. On one hand, we have seen in lore that sleeping and dreamwalking for overextended periods of time can - in the case of Malfurion Stormrage the chosen one - alter your body to grow clawed fingers and feet and feathered arms. On the other hand, it is unknown what exactly caused Malfurionā€™s mutations, since other druids have dreamwalked with no side effects, and Malfurion may just simply be natureā€™s chosen one. On top of that, worgen have slept in the Emerald Dream physically for over nine thousand years with absolutely no side effects besides hunger pains and a bad attitude.

1. :white_check_mark: Curse of Omen
    • Goldrinn is not the only lupine wild god. Lycanthoth, his alter ego, exists somewhere in the shadows, and Omen is a wolf god driven mad and corrupted after the War of the Ancients. Once a god of wisdom that guided hunters and gatherers and blessed with immortality by Elune, he is now no more than a rampaging spirit. Lycanthoth or Omen could easily place a curse of lupine imbalance on a small group of worgen opposing him. The Cenarion Circle may be able to lift most of the omen curse, but not all of it, and a tail remains unless further measures are taken. Questline complete, criteria met, optional tail gained.

1. :white_check_mark: Horns of Echeā€™ro
    • We have seen in lore where a wild god can be pleased with a person, and bless them with an animal feature. Huln Highmountain and his followers were blessed by Cenarius, giving them moose horns. Theoretically, a small group of worgen could do something for Goldrinn, and earn a token of his appreciation in return, being a tail.

1. :white_check_mark: Gift of Ardenwaeld
    • I cannot say much about this concept, while we still know so little, but the magics of the Shadowlands, Ardenwaeld, and Tirna Scithe are certainly weird, and each of the covenants are set to give you special abilities in return for your allegiance.

I support creativity, and I support lore, and lore can be used to justify quite a lot without having to break it.

3. Pigment vs Appendage :mechanical_arm:

World of Warcraft will be adding dark skin options in Shadowlands, not just to humans, but to dwarves, gnomes, and blood elves as well. I would say that the addition of real-life human racial skin colors to ingame races are done for real life reasons.

ā€œDark skinned elves are lorebreakingā€

I agree, dark skinned elves came out of the blue for me. My guild has the Wowhead news bot set up to post into our serverā€™s news channel, and it was jarring to see a dark gnome. I was shocked, taken aback, upset, and scrounging for possible answers. But I came to understand why OOCly, and Iā€™ve made peace with that. For immersion purposes, however, as a roleplayer, I had to find something to make it make sense. And with what Iā€™ve found, it actually kind of does.

1. :earth_americas: Titans are responsible for the creation of the titan-forged, which includes several metallic races. The titans themselves are different colors, and so are their creations. When the Curse of Flesh began to change their soldiers and workers, they became the humans, dwarves, and gnomes we know today.
    • :yellow_circle: Gold (Loken, Auriaya)
    • :orange_circle: Brass (Eonar, Aggramar, Khazā€™goroth, Sargeras)
    • :white_circle: Light Grey (Maiden of Valor)
    • :new_moon: Dark Grey (Amanā€™thul, Fallen Avatar)
    • :large_blue_circle: Blue (Argus)
    • :purple_circle: Charcoal-Purple (Golganneth, Norgannon)

1. :man_farmer: Humans have already had some skin color variation, in the form of pale and dark humans. Humans are descended from the Iron Vrykul, made by the titans.
    • :large_blue_circle: Blue (Sif, Hodir)
    • :yellow_circle: Gold (Hargal the Bladestormer, Hruthnir)
    • :orange_circle: Brass (General Bjarngrim, Dark Rune Sentinel)
    • :brown_circle: Brown (Rajh)
    • :white_circle: Silvery (Odyn, Ironaya, Helya, Jotun, Creteus, Nablya)
    • :white_circle: Stony (Ra-den, Freya, Archaedas, Stonewrought Guardian)
    • :new_moon: Grey (Hymdall, Ammunae, Isiset, Dark Rune Champion)
    • :black_circle: Dark (Setis, Setesh)

1. :mage: Dwarves have a rocky history. Literally, with Earthen - exactly what it sounds like - for ancestors. These Earthen come in a variety of colors, and dwarves have been seen to as well.
    • :large_blue_circle: Blue (Pyrium Lodestone, Clay Mudaxle)
    • :orange_circle: Tan (Rocky Cliffedge, Shale Drilldeep, Earthen Dwarf)
    • :brown_circle: Brown (Earthmender Deepvein, Magorn, Earthen Warder)
    • :white_circle: Pale (Earthen Hallshaper, Earthen Custodian, Sandstone Earthen)
    • :new_moon: Light (Brangrimm, Catapult Driver, Earthen Warrior)
    • :black_circle: Dark (Thelett Shaleheart, Earthen Rocksmasher)

1. :man_mechanic: Gnomes have a metallic past as well, having been created as the robotic mechagnomes, which also come in color variations.
    • :yellow_circle: Tan (Fumblub Gearwind, Tinny, Clockwork Sapper)
    • :orange_circle: Orange (Mr. Fixthis, Jeeves, Mechagnome Curator)
    • :brown_circle: Brown (SCRAP-E, Walter, Reprogrammed Librarian)
    • :black_circle: Dark (Mimiron, Clockā€™em, Parts Recovery Technician)

1. :elf: Sinā€™dorei are likewise seen to be fair skinned ingame, and they have no relation to the titanforged, so metal types is no excuse here. However, that does not mean there canā€™t be dark skinned elves, and there are a few good explainations available I have seen around. Time in the sun over thousands of years, residual kaldorei genetics attributing to darker tones, both are reasonable, but attributing it to human genetics - who have had a dark option from the start - is the best of the three, and would explain the recent appearance.
    • :sunny: Extended Exposure is a popular suggestion. Sinā€™dorei are descended from kaldorei, which are descended from trolls, which are by nature incredibly physically adaptive to their environment, even becoming sandy or frosty. Even if elves have not inherited this trait, extended exposure does darken skin color. I have known friends who were born pale, and are in the sun so often and are so genetically predisposed that they appear dark. Sinā€™dorei live for quite a long time, giving time for extended exposure for certain outdoor lifestyles such as architectural or agricultural fields. Besides the sun, elves have been known to be highly susceptible to adaptation through magic influence as well, be it arcane or otherwise, and exposing themselves to magic is something the Sinā€™dorei in particular do best.
    • :genie: Kaldorei genetics have been suggested, even going as far back as the darker skinned Dark Trolls the kaldorei came from, and could be a possible explanation for players as well. Though Chronicle says the Sinā€™dorei gradually lost their purple hues - which included some dark purple tones - there are several cases in real life were genetics skip a generation in the form of recessive genes, or even remain from the olden days, such as the appendix or the pinkie toe.
    • :man_farmer: Human genetics are another possibility. Firstly, half-elves are possible, that much we have seen. Second, dark humans exist, weā€™ve seen that too. Humans moved to Tirisfal Glades as far back as 15,000 years ago, and Sinā€™dorei moved there as well shortly after the War of the Ancients 10,000 years ago. Living in the same general area, there may have easily been couples being formed, even before the two became officially friendly some 2,800 years ago. In theory, Sinā€™dorei dark skin could be attributed to having some amount of human genetics.

ā€œReasons behind added dark skinā€

I do hope it might be explained officially, but I doubt Blizzard will touch that topic, and risk offending one person or another. The reality is that these dark options for elves were added for real life reasons, not lore reasons. I was upset about it at first, but I have accepted it was done for reasons relating to real life. In addition, skin color is not quite such a drastic addition as adding another limb to their anatomy. I have my own theories as to how dark skinned dwarves or sinā€™dorei could be possible, and I would hope a player would think of his own reasons for his character. Even so, there is an entirely different reason to adding skin colors than to wanting extra tails, and in my mind attempting to compare the two to justify tails is stooping low and grasping at straws. The likelyhood of a race developing another skin color is just as it is in real life, and I would argue the likelyhood of developing a tail by mere genetic mutation would be the same likely hood as in real life as well. Color options need no explanation; anatomy additions do.

ā€œPigments and appendagesā€

1. The Genetic Perspective
    • If a person can have a child with a different color, they can have a child with an extra appendage too right? Well yes, but actually no. There are several cases of caucasian couples bearing dark skinned infants and vice versa, which are genetically tested and confirmed to belong to the parents, not the neighbor. Vestigial tails are possible as well due, but are extremely rare and tragic deformities. I planned to go into it on occult spinal dysraphism, but after looking into it, Iā€™d rather not. The point here being that pigment mutation is common, while extra appendage mutation is a rare extreme, and cannot be compared.

1. The Lycanthrope Perspective
    • Now take a look at tales from a shapeshifting perspective. One could argue that sure, tails are genetically extremely rare, but werewolves go through extreme change. That is true! But we also know that worgen shapeshift not in a plume of smoke, but gradually, and feel it happen. To take worgen form, you begin to swell, and human bones and muscles grow and change shape. To grow a tail, however, you would have to grow additional bones out of nowhere, your rear muscles would have to stretch and extend to cover the new vertebrae, covered in new skin. This would make the worgen transformation much more complicated to explain, and likely more painful, and therefore I can see and appreciate that World of Warcraft descided to go with the Stephen King and Joe Dante style lycanthrope when worgen were added in 2004.

1. The Druid Perspective
    • Druids grow a tail without a problem, so why would worgen be different? It is actually just that simple; worgen are different than a druid form. Where druids clothes shapeshift with them, worgen rip out of theirs. Where druids return to elf form if killed, worgen druids return to worgen form, something Jarod Shadowsong noted as particularly peculiar in Wolfheart. Where druids have to be taught to those connected with nature, worgen spread by bite to everyone and their mother. Even Cenarius himself, the god of druidism, says that the worgen curse is in fact ā€œbeyond druidismā€. I would even say that the worgen features lend even more to the fact that the form is not natural, including the glowing eyes, iconic hunch, humanoid posture, and lack of a tail. Features that Blizzard has kept through three different models in 2004, 2010, and 2019.

Color happens, and needs no expiation; anatomy additions do.

No, worgen do not ā€œneed tailsā€. As said before, worgen are worgen, and worgen do not and never have had tails, nor do they need tails to be worgen. However, if tails must be added, then there is a tasteful and appropriate way to do so, as long as it meets certain criteria. The best way would be to add a Night Warrior like questline where the worgen character is mutated or blessed with a fifth appendage, or even one simple quest text explaining why some worgen suddenly have tails and others donā€™t. One way other another, unlike simple hair-doā€™s and colors, a tail requires an explanation.

It occurs to me that I have, in fact, already addressed both of these questions in prior posts. Just click on the corresponding post below. And hereā€™s some bacon to enjoy as well. :bacon:

Worgen Theory: Are Curses Hereditary? :family_man_boy:

Worgen Theory: How do Blood Curses work? :wine_glass:

Also nudging this thread again! Visitors, have any questions about worgen lore? Ask away! I will provide an answer, cited sources where possible, and free thankyou bacon. :bacon:

is there a calorie count worgen have to aim for? Averge meal sizes ? Does it mater which form they are in?
Secondly. Could a female worgen give birth to a human child without transfering the curse? what if the father was the curse carrier ? Would that make a direct difference ?

Thirdly, How irritating is loud noises for worgen?

2 Likes

On a related note, hereā€™s the paste of last nightā€™s lore event! You can find more on the thread below, as well as an invite link if youā€™d like to attend the next event!

:crescent_moon: Purity of Essence :wolf:

Origins, Part 2:
Alpha Prime and the Druids of the Scythe

:open_book: Story

Introduction

I have had the good fortune to learn not from old parchment, but from word of mouth. From people that were -there-. Well, perhaps I should say not -just- from parchmentā€¦ I have here with me a book. A copy of the Purity of Essence, written by the very first worgen.

He holds up the book, and it looks old indeed, but how old exactly was impossible to tell. Scholars among the audience may be able to tell it was of Gilnean print, and the title did indeed read Purity of Essence.

My tale tonight, ladies and gentlemen, takes us back over nine thousand years. Before worgen, and looong before Gilneas.

Recap

At this event two weeks ago, I introduced Goldrinn the wolf god. I told how the kaldorei empire began from trolls, how they paved nature and how their greedy magics attracted the Burning Legion. I told how Goldrinn, and the other Wild Gods, died to defeat the legion, and how the elves were forced to face the remaining demons hundreds of years later.

This was called the War of the Satyr, after the enemy the elves now faced alone. The crippled elven nation was forced to work together, sentinel, priestess, and druid alike. The druids came in all shapes and sizes, worshipping different wild gods in return for their forms. One such was the Druids of the Pack who worship Goldrinn, and take the form of a wolf.
23:19:43 Nualar-WyrmrestAccord doesnā€™t notice the eyes directed to her. Her own luminescent sight is directed to the speaker - a brow quirked in interest as he told his tale.

23:20:16 Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord , without warning, drops to all fours, and fur soon covers every bit of his skin, overtaking his armor. Just any other druid, his transformation is gradual, and leaves a wolf standing in his place.
23:21:39 Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord , just as quickly as he had, turns away from the crowd, and you can see some kind of internal struggle, as the man inside grapples with the beast. Moments later, he stands once more, picking up that wolf mask and returning it to his face.

This formā€¦ The Pack Formā€¦ was by far the strongest in battle against the satyr. Perhaps too strong. Many, including Malfurion Stormrage, could not control its raw fury. It even got people killed, and he banned it.

His pupil at the time, Ralaar Fangfire, obeyed, reluctantly, as Malfurion even went so far as to borderline demonize Goldrinn. But when -not- using the form got his best friend Arvel killed, Ralaar left Malfurionā€™s side, in search of the many others who had done the same.

Druids of the Pack

Ralaar found the other Druids of the Pack in a sorry state. They had with them the Fang of Goldrinn, left over from the fallen wolf godā€™s body. They had obsessed over it, growing addicted to the pack form. He bested each of them one by one, and, once he had, scolded them for their foolishness.

It was then, seeing them, that he realized Malfurion was correct. Although it was the perfect weapon against the Satyr, The Pack Form is far too powerful for any mortal to wield for any long duration. It was said that the moon goddess - Elune - had long wished Goldrinn to master his rage. Perhaps she wold help them to the same? Taking the Fang of Goldrinn, he reached out to a friend, a priestess of Elune named Belysra Starbreeze. If anyone could and would speak to Elune on their behalf, it was her.

The Scythe of Elune

Belysra Starbreeze brought with her the Staff of Elune, and Ralaar brought with him the Fang of Goldrinn. Together, with the Druids of the Pack, they met atop a hill, and turned to Elune for the answer.

And answer she did.

Vines came forth from the ground, holding the Fang and the Staff in place, as moonlight shone down upon those gathered and the objects. When the moonlight dimmed, Ralaar and his Pack found Belysra holding not a staff and a fang, but a Scythe.

To this day, Ralaar and his people call it the Fang of the Father. But to Belysra and her people, it was known as the Scythe of Elune. Ralaar was eager to see Eluneā€™s answer. Another pack form perhaps? He took Pack Form, and came before the Scythe, allowing it to imbue him with Eluneā€™s magics.

The Grand Awakening

And he -screamed-. He howled in pain, yelling that something was wrong. That Goldrinn was rejecting the Moon Goddess. Yet, as his lupine body changed, the shock subsided, and he found himself standing upon two legs, with the power of the wolf coursing through his veins.

Elf form had been too weak, but Pack Form had been too strong. But thanks to the moon goddess - the goddess of balance - he now stood as the perfect balance between. He praised the form, and his followers were eager to follow after him,
Belysra watching as one by one they too took to their wolf forms, and Elune turned them into wolfmen.

Their prayers had been answered. This was exactly the kind of weapon the kaldorei nation needed, if they were to survive the demon onslaught.

But the elves had treated Ralaar and his pack so badly, spoken so ill of the Wolf God they adored, that many cared little about the other elves. A good number of Malfurionā€™s followers thought the same, and he would notice as many would disappear to join Ralaar in the woods in the following three days. Ralaar who renamed himself Alpha Prime, the first worgen.

Druids of the Scythe

The kaldorei nation gathered that night outside a Satyr stronghold, determined to lay siege, no matter how many casualties it cost them. Malfurion knew that it may take days, even weeks to claim victory, especially with so many of his druids gone missing, but they attacked regardless.

It was then that Alpha Prime and his men arrived. Dozens of ferocious wolfman, with the blessing of Elune and fury of Goldrinn, tore into the satyr horde. On two legs they scaled the battlements, and with claw and fang they ripped the Satyr stronghold to the ground in mere hours. A seige that would have taken perhaps weeks without them.

And what was their thanks? Did Malfurion thank his students for saving so many lives, that night? Did he ask them who had given them such a form?

No. Malfurion was appalled, calling Alpha Prime and his men abominations. Freaks of nature. Even monsters.

Alpha Primeā€¦ had had enough. It was because of THIS man that his best friend - Arvel - died rather than save himself with pack form. It was because of THIS MAN that the elves now regarded Goldrinn - who had died to save them - as a monster to be feared.

Alpha Prime attacked Malfurion. His pack of wolfmen followed after, wolfman and sentinel shedding blood on the very same battlefield of their joined victory.

This was not an accidental friendly-fire, like one might in the Pack Form. This was war. Alpha Prime and his worgen were in their right minds, and fought back. Not unlike the Gilneans that fought back in the Northgate Rebellion.

The War of Three Armies

At this point, the War of the Satyr became a war of three armies. Malfurion lead the elves against demonic satyr and what he saw as the monstrous wolfmen. Alpha Prime lead his packs against the satyr, and what he saw as the traitorous kaldorei. And the Satyr, of course, were basically screwed.
Kaldorei bitten by these ā€œDruids of the Scytheā€ were seen to become wolfmen as well. But whereas it takes days to turn today, it took mere moments back then, when the Gift was new. It was seeing this, and seeing her friends turning on eachother, that Belysra reached out the Malfurion Stormrage.

Fearing what her friend Ralaar had become, even if it was to avenge her slain lover Arvel, she gave Malfurion Stormrage the Scythe of Elune.

With it, he founded the an order, putting him in charge of all matters of druidism. An order that allowed him to make sure nothing like this would happen again. An order he called The Cenarion Circle. And as his first act, he devised a plan, a clever plot.

Malfurion's Betrayal

He had Belysra send word to Alpha Prime that he was ready to make amends. But when Alpha Prime and his worgen arrived at the meeting place, his true intentions became known. Using the Scythe - which was as connected to Goldrinn and Elune as the worgen themselves - he tore a rift in reality, a rift to the Emerald Dream. He banished the worgen to the Emerald Dream, trapping them there, intending for them to sleep for all time, peaceful. A sentence thatā€¦ as it turns outā€¦ was neither peaceful, nor eternal.

But regardless, his former students were no longer in his way. And with them out of the picture, the kaldorei made short work of the Satyr, who had been devastated by the worgen for the last few weeks.

The Nine Thousand Year Dream

Thousands of years pass, and over time, the worgen are forgotten. Alpha Prime and his brothers suffer in the dream, in their slumbering state, which turned out to be eternal torture for beings meant to run and hunt.

Over those thousands of yearsā€¦ the wolfmen are only seen in the fanciful imaginings of the young, or the folktales of the old. As humanity bloomed, the notion of a wolfman was regarded as a myth. A folktale. A creature humanity called a ā€œworgenā€.

It was not until the work of the Archmage Ur, a scholar of the otherworldly, that humanity discovered the truth behind the myth. Or at leastā€¦ a glimpse at it. Ur looked into another world, nightmarish and dark, where the worgen made battle with the Lords of the Emerald Flame. Satyr.

Years laterā€¦ an Archmage by the name of Arugal will discover this manā€™s findings. What he does with this knowledge, and why, I will be covering in the next event in two weeksā€™ time. (You can click here to add this and more to your ingame calendar) [Join: The Wolf Cult Events]

Conclusion

00:10:46 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œAck! Right at the good part.ā€

00:11:24 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: It is -all- the good part. Sadly there is no better stopping point, than at the end of an era, and the beginning of the next.

00:11:26 Baelryn looks at Aayan.

00:11:41 Baelryn claps excitedly for you.

00:11:49 Kaicyre cheers at you.

00:11:50 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord stands up and gives a small bout of applause, ā€œIt was entertaining and mostly accurate. I mean, kind of fetishized the guy who ruined Gilneas but I suppose Iā€™ll have to just wait two weeks before you address that, huh?ā€

00:11:52 Lautner claps excitedly for you.

00:11:59 Silvana claps excitedly for you.

00:12:12 Roseleyne claps excitedly for you.

00:12:18 Berthower-WyrmrestAccord clapped his hands politely, smiling as he leaned back in a stretch.

00:12:20 Aayan-WyrmrestAccord gives some applause.

00:12:27 You bow down graciously.

00:12:45 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: The tale of the worgen is a long one, full of anger, betrayal, and tragedy. I mean to do each chapter justice by giving it the attention it deserves.

00:12:58 Baelryn-WyrmrestAccord also stands, paying no attention to the fact that his rear now blocked the large worgan behind him. ā€œGreat story, bud. Appreciate it.ā€

00:13:07 Aayan-WyrmrestAccord gets up and dusts the grass off himself.

00:13:15 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Now, before we all depart, do you all have any questions?

00:13:29 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord raises a hand.

00:13:37 You nod at Lautner.

:brain: Trivia

The First Worgen were sane

Many believe that the original worgen went mad, and ā€œattacked friend and foe alikeā€. In reality, they were in their right minds. They attacked the elves just like the Defias brotherhood attacked Stormwind, or the Northgate Rebels attacked Gilneas. It was a conscious act of rebellion against the force they believed had wronged them. Read all this and more in Curse of the Worgen.

Tal'doren is not "the wild home"

An elf in the starter zone claims Talā€™doren was once home to the druids of the pack. This was never the case. In fact, no elf had ever seen Talā€™doren, and were confused when Malfurion spoke of its spiritual counterpart, Daralā€™nir. The only reason Mal knew of this was because of Cenarious. When Malfurion tried to use the Pack Form, he did not have as much control as Ralaar, and Cenarius took him to Daralā€™nir to help him. When the Druids of the Pack became worgen, Malfurion used the scythe to banish them to this part of the Emerald Dream. (See quest The Wild Home. See Curse of the Worgen issue 3.)

"Worgen" is a human term, from human mythology

The elves never called Alpha Prime and his men anything, other than abominations. When the human Archmage Ur discovered them in his studies, he claimed that humans had only seen worgen in myths and nightmares, but that they were real. When Alpha Prime is in Gilneas, the humans there refer to him as a worgen, and he accepts the term. Because why not? (See Ur. See Curse of the Worgen issue 1.)

Some worgen woke up on their own

We have evidence that not all worgen stayed asleep the whole nine thousand years. For one, when Ur discovered the worgen ā€œhomeworldā€ (the Emerald Dream they had been banished to) he saw it as a nightmarish place, where the hellish worgen made battle with their eternal enemy, the Lords of the Emerald Flame. Curse of the Worgen then reveals that these are Satyr, who called themselves Lords of the Emerald Flame. Second, there are three ā€œFeral Worgenā€ NPCs in Valā€™sharah, who - when cured of the worgen curse by the Balance Druid Adventurer - say that they awoke in the Dream, traveled, and wound up in Valā€™sharah. Not all the worgen awoke in the Dream, however. When Arugal gets his hands on Urā€™s research, he sees the same are in a dormant state, and rouses and summons them. Including Alpha Prime.

:question: Questions

Where did you get that book?

00:13:49 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Yes sir, you with the swords?

00:13:41 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œWhereā€™d you get the book?ā€

00:14:26 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Ah, the Purity of Essence? It was written by Alpha Prime during his time in Gilneas, and mass produced by his followers. Many copies were distributed and found their way around Gilneas, Duskwood, and beyond.

00:15:34 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: The tome includes the full history of the worgen from Alpha Primeā€™s account, including passages Malfurionā€™s people have removed from their chronicle. Butā€¦ you may yet find one in Gilneas, if you look hard enough. (Also see Curse of the Worgen, by Blizzard and DC Comics!)

00:16:00 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œMm. So itā€™s biased reading material, but still an interesting perspective.ā€

00:17:03 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Aye. But you could say the same about the elf-written material, or the human-written theories. I have read its contents, as well as the others, and confirmed everything it has to say, even with those who were there to see it.

00:17:45 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œCanā€™t argue with that. And if I somehow stumbled across the diary of Arthas Menethil, Iā€™m sure it too would be interesting.ā€

00:18:22 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: I have had the pleasure of speaking with Kaldorei Worgen in both the Bloodfang and Nightbane Packs, who were there during the War of the Satyr, some even during the War of the Ancients. And while there are mixed opinions on Alpha Prime, they all agree on who really created the gift.

What do you know about the Duskwood Worgen?

00:18:34 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Yes sir, you in the hood?

00:18:45 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œYou know anything about the Worgen in Duskwood?ā€

00:19:04 Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord smirks, and gives a nod. ā€œI do.ā€ he answers. ā€œWhat would you like to know?ā€

00:19:37 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œYeah, howā€™d them boys get in Duskwood?ā€
00:20:25 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: "Just asking because not too long ago, I had some rather -fun- experiences with those that stalk the woods.

00:21:02 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: The origin of the Nightbane Pack is a chapter all its own, which I will be covering not next event, but the event after. In shortā€¦ the Scythe of Elune was hidden away by Malfurion Stormrage, as he sought
00:21:02 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: to hide that the worgen even happened. Elune, however, had other plans. She revealed the Scytheā€™s location to a Sentinel, Velinde Starsong, in Felwood.

00:21:39 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œJust asking. Personal beef is all.ā€

00:22:36 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Using it, she summoned forth some of the banished druids, unleashing their fury upon the demons. But she could not control themā€¦ she journeyed to the Eastern Kingdoms in search of Arugal. But on her way, she died in Duskwood, where the Scythe was then discovered by the Defias Brotherhood.

00:23:58 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Long story shortā€¦ which is why I devote a night to telling thisā€¦ they happen upon the scythe, and accidentally unleash MORE of the kaldorei worgen upon the world, to Duskwood. There, the worgen make contact with Alpha Prime in Gilneas, and form the Duskwood branch of The Wolf Cult.

00:24:13 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œRight.ā€
00:24:22 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œWait, arenā€™t you representingā€¦?ā€

00:24:52 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Representing what? Iā€™m just a storyteller.
00:25:10 Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord is innocent. Totally.

00:25:17 [Aayan-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œRight rightā€¦somethingā€™s justā€¦Hmm.ā€

Is the Pack Form still possible?

00:24:58 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œThis guyā€™s just representing history in all itā€™s perspectives. That and a little druidic magicks? Or was that shamanism earlier?ā€

00:26:09 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Aaah, good question. That was druidism, The Pack Form, granted by worshipping Goldrinn. The Pack Form is banned by the Cenarion Circle - Malfurionā€™s attempt to control all druidism - but it IS still possible.

00:26:55 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œSo that was an authentic transformation earlier. I didnā€™t know anyone could- Me?ā€

00:26:20 You raise your eyebrow inquisitively at Lautner.

Is being a worgen really a "Curse?"

00:25:56 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œBleh, just show up in two weeks from now and learn what a bunch of shs the wolf pack were. Cursed an entire nation, plotted with zombies for itā€™s downfall, all that juicy drama. They got what they deserved, buncha d*s.ā€

00:26:33 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Good sir, may I ask -you- a question?

00:26:40 You look at Lautner.

00:27:03 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Aye.

00:27:23 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œYeah. I, too, enjoy reading. I put it right up there next to hunting and running wild and free.ā€

00:27:28 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œAsk away.ā€

00:28:16 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Beyond heightened sensesā€¦ beyond being able to sense aurasā€¦ beyond being able to fight off a score of demons and hunt your own foodā€¦ do you know the greatest perk of the worgen ā€œcurseā€?

00:28:58 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œWhat?ā€

00:29:24 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Immunity.

00:29:46 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Do you know, immunity from what?

00:30:17 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord nods once, ā€œI fought in the fourth, I think I know what youā€™re getting to. Immunity to undeath, yeah?ā€

00:30:51 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œIf we were immune to curses, Drustvar wouldnā€™t have been so hellish. Remember when I almost ate you?ā€

00:31:46 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: The Worgen ā€œCurseā€ is connected to the goddess of balance, and a god of life. One of its greatest perks is that unlike humans, who even become undead if you poke their grave too hard, are immune to the Banshee Queenā€™s control. Where humans must suffer to see their loved ones raised and mind controlled, worgen have the gift of freedom, even in death.

00:32:38 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: You can call the gift a curse if you would likeā€¦ you can claim that the worgen were a curse upon Gilneasā€¦ but the Forsaken were beating at the door. The only reason they got into Gilneas was when the Cataclysm struck, and the coral reef

00:32:38 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: broke, allowing their ships to enter via sea.

00:32:42 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord tilts his head to the side, ā€œWell, Iā€™ve never thought to test the rumors about our immunity. Itā€™s hearsay from my perspective, but I have seen a worgen Death Knight. Soā€¦ā€

00:33:54 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Had Alpha Prime and his Wolf Cult not attacked Gilneas, with the goal of biting as many people as possible, Gilneas would have been pure human by the time the Forsaken arrived. And they would have fallen to Sylvanas, fuel for her

00:33:54 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: undead war machine. Just like those poor Gilneans that remained trapped in Stoneward Prison, only to be used as scrap material for their abominations.

00:34:13 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord wrinkles his nose, "I donā€™t see my gift as a curse. I see the circumstances around receiving this blessing a massive tragedy, and if he hadnā€™t already rotted away to nothing, Iā€™d take it out on the Alpha who began transforming Gilneans out of jealousy Ā»

00:34:13 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord Ā» of Malfurion."

00:34:33 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord 's temper rises drastically.

00:35:18 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Curse the worgen responsible all you wishā€¦ but you -are- alive, thanks to them, whether you like it or not.

00:35:19 [Lautner-WyrmrestAccord]: ā€œGilneas was a proud country. We could have beaten the Forsaken back ten times over if we hadnā€™t had that spat with the rebels and -then- Alphaā€™s invasion.ā€

00:35:23 Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord looks up and around.

00:35:29 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: Next question?

00:36:38 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord 's eyes narrow into slits, his muscles twitching, expanding. His chest swells as he walks away from the drama enciting speaker, just as his form shifts to strain at his fancy duds.

00:40:11 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord wasnā€™t hearing any of it. In the corner of his mind, a repetitive irritating pulse beat faster and faster. His vision tinged red as his massive clawed fists balled up. For a moment he just stood there, half embaressed to have gotten so mad to the Ā»

00:40:11 Lautner-WyrmrestAccord Ā» point of transformation, half relieved to be back in his natural state. Instead of storming away, he just rocked from heel to paw, the long nails of his toes ripping through the grass.

00:40:29 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: (Before we close for tonight, a couple things! All this and more you can fact check on Wowpedia, or read it for yourself in Curse of the Worgen. And if youā€™d like to hear more, join the community here for calendar alerts for the next events!

00:40:29 [Raedolf-WyrmrestAccord]: <3 [Join: The Wolf Cult Events] )

:spiral_calendar: Next Event

The next event will be Wednesday, March 11th at 8pm PST, and will continue the story to reveal why exactly Genn Greymane had Alpha Prime and the original worgen released in Gilneas.

Main Thread

šŸŒ• {A/H} Purity of Essence - Worgen Lore Night [Event 6/7] 8pm

Click here to add this to your ingame calendar!

https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invite/E0GezwZiEg?region=US&faction=Alliance

All good questions! I feel like there may have been an example for the third question there in Wolfheart or a questā€¦ but I canā€™t seem to think of it. Iā€™m going to give myself a sec to chew on these and sniff around, but hereā€™s a thankyou bacon to chew on in the meantime! :bacon:

Worgen Diets: Diet Size? :meat_on_bone:

Good question, and quite a specific one! Iā€™m no nutritionist, and neither is Blizzard, but we can speculate.

Often when there is no solid lore on worgen physiology, a reasonable conclusion can be drawn from examining real life human and wolf physiology, finding balance betweenĀ¹, upscaling by a thirdĀ² to accommodate for worgen size, and seeing if it works in accordance to canon material.

Worgen Diet Chart (Theoretical)

In theory, compare a wolf and a human of comparable weight to see how a hybrid might behave, then increase the results by a third to accomodate for worgen growth.

Race: Wolf Wolf*2 (human sized) Human ([w+h]/2) *1.33= Worgen (Speculation)
Weight in lb: 100 200 200 = 266
Min lb/day to survive: 2.5 5 - = 6.650
Average lb/day: 10.0 20.0 4 = 15.96
Max lb in one sitting: 22.5 45 1.000 = 30.59
Max days w/o food: 12.0 12-24? 21.00 = 21.945
Is it just that simple?

Of course, it is not quite as straightforward as ā€œ([human+wolf]/2)Ɨ(1.33)ā€. Worgen sometimes have the best of both worlds, or one or the other. For instance, worgen have wolf instincts, but are also fully intelligent. They have a humanoid stature, but can eat entirely meat and are considered predatorsā“ and carnivoresĀ³. And then of course their size, agility, aura sensingāµ are unlike man or wolf.

Average meal sizes?

There is also the dietary habits to consider. Where humans are agricultural and eat regularly every day, wolves are predatory. They go several days without eating, and eat their fill when a kill is made. Worgen are depicted hunting (Genn likes his pork fresh), the Bloodfang Pack even eat Forsaken, and Anduin comments in Before the Storm that worgen are useful as an army because they do not need to be fed: they hunt for their rations. All sources suggest worgen have lupine diets, thus also suggesting worgen eat every so often when a hunt is a success, not every day.

Does is matter which form?

That is a good question, and again there is no direct answer. However, we do know that the transformation is very much physical. Unlike a polymorph, the worgen transformation is gradual, involves the growing of fur, stretching of muscles, popping and cracking (not breaking) of bones, and more. We are also shown that while druid forms shapeshift your clothes as well, worgen form does not, and anything you are wearing is forced to stretch or tear (Genn Greymane, Wolfheart) as you grow a third in height and girth.

In the same way that you - and only you - change form, we can assume the same for anything ingested. Swallow a grape in human form, and it will stay the same size when you take worgen form. This means that in theory, if you are completely full in human form and take worgen form, you may feel less full, contributing to the hunger and rage worgen typically feel when they first change (see Halford Ramsey). If this is true, this would also mean that if you gorge yourself to your fullest as a worgen, and try to take human form right after, you might end up spewing a few pounds of raw meat and fur, which may be appropriately dramatic depending on the scene and story.

Cited Sources

Ā¹ Curse of the Worgen pg 69
Ā² Wolfheart pg 208
Ā³ Wolfheart pg 244
ā“ Wolfheart pg 209, 271
āµ Wolfheart pg 267

1 Like

Thanks for the response =D
to be a good owner i have to make sure my lil pup is getting enough nutrition =D

Is the transformation a slow and yet painful process?

Does it conflict in-between animal instinct and sentient being with psychology wise? If so, but of both?

Do druids have an ā€˜easierā€™ time adapting into worgens?

Does a worgen benefit from a very social job more then other races?

Can worgen handle spicy food?

Can you give more information on how the Northrend worgen packs came to be?

Biology: Reproduction :couple_with_heart_woman_man: - Carriers?

According to the Community Developer Sean Copeland, the worgen curse is not transmitted to offspring, ā€œbecause it is just a curse.ā€ Since this was posted as part of a CDev post answering several other questions, it is regarded as Blizzardā€™s official view on the subject as of its posting in 2010. According to this, a human and a worgen would produce a human.

ā€œThe worgen curse is just a curse. Its origins are rooted in the druidic pack form that was later altered by the Scythe of Elune. The end result is worgen we see today, beings that can transmit their affliction to others via a single bite. In theory, if two worgen were to mate and produce an offspring, that offspring would not be a worgen. The child would merely possess the genetic material of his or her parents, like any other child sans the curse.ā€ Ask CDev - Answers Round 4

However, there is evidence to support otherwise, which you are welcome to read below. Notably regarding the faulty logic in the quote above, compared to actual lore.

According to Lore

Flawed Logic

In short, there are a few pieces of logic that the CDev response uses to claim two worgen would produce a human. If this post were to have said ā€œNo, because magicā€ or even ā€œ-This- curse is not hereditaryā€, there would be no debate. Likewise, ā€œNo, because Elune says soā€ would have done just as well. However, the post instead uses faulty logic, which can be easily disproved with examples straight from lore itself.

1. ā€œCurses are not hereditaryā€ - (Yes, they are)
  2. ā€œWorgen is a druidic formā€ - (Not quite!)
  3. ā€œWorgen are genetically just humansā€ - (Try again)

Curses in Lore

According to world of warcraft lore, curses - especially blood curses - are transmitted to the child. See the Curse of Flesh, Curse of Sethe, Curse of the Sporemounds, the Naga (lay Naga eggs), Fel Curses (modern orcs), and even blessings (which could be called curses) like the Horns of Echeā€™ro. The worgen curse, like the curse of flesh or fel corruption, is powerful and infectious. Because it is ā€œjust a curseā€, and curses are hereditary, the curse should be hereditary. According to this, I would surmise a human and a worgen would produce a worgen. And of course, a child worgen exists in the game, described as the oft forgotten offspring of its father, the big bad wolf.

Genetically Worgen

Despite some worgen having the ability to resume their pre-curse form, worgen are indeed worgen inside and out. The worgen curse is not a druid form, confirmed in both Curse of the Worgen and Wolfheart. The worgen form is also their true form, that a worgen will default to when angered, or even go back to when slain, unlike a druid form. Worgen are also spiritually worgen, shown by several worgen ghosts such as the Day of the Dead ghosts, and those in Shadowfang Keep such as Odo the Blindwatcher. If you are bitten and turned, then - like it or not - you are now spiritually, psychologically, and physiologically a worgen. As the CDev says, the child would bear the genetic material of the parents.

Barely had he begun trailing Eadrik than he almost collided with the worgen, who stood stiffly, staring at something a little farther down the trail. It was another worgen . . . minus his head. Even in death, he still retained his lupine form, something that Jarod had not expected. (Wolfheart pg 341)

Counter-arguments for roleplay

Ultimately there is enough to justify either in roleplay, depending on your stance on the subject. You can also read more on the worgen reproduction debate in the posts below. If you are ever faced with such a situation in your narrative, discuss this with your partner to see what makes sense to the characters and the story.

To counter the CDev response, you could also claim there was bleeding in the womb (see Uterine Bleeding) and the infant was thus born a worgen. To counter the Curses-are-hereditary stance, you could say the mother was given a blessing by a Priestess of Elune so the child may be born without the curse. If you are unsure, you could also always let the child be born human, and give it worgen blood later.

Further Reading

Worgen Senses: Hearing :ear: - Noise and Irritability?

Funny enough, this is the question that has me pondering. The worst part is, I feel like there is a clear example of worgen being irritated by loud noise, but I cannot seem to recall where. And this is part of the reason I love hosting this thread; I then keep an eye out for such sources, and I eventually find it and keep it on hand for next time.

However, for now, I did come to the conclusion that it depends on the worgen, the situation, and the noise. It also boils down to a few simple facts. First, loud noises can be irritating, to anyone. Secondly, worgen have greatly heightened senses, especially hearing. And thirdly, worgen are more irritable than a typical human. It can be surmised that, because loud noise is irritable, and worgen would hear it louder and sharper than a human, and that worgen are easily irritable in general, loud noise would indeed irritate a worgen.

Semantic gymnastics aside, there are also some examples of worgen and loud noise in lore. The first that comes to mind would be the Bloodfang Pack in Curse of the Worgen issue 4, as they are attacking the Gilneans, even through the sound of gunfire and cannon blasts. Another may be the Hillsbrad refugees versus the Forsaken cannonfire in the Silverpine Forest questline. While these examples do not tell us if the loud noise was irritating the attacking worgen any more than they already were, it does show us that worgen - even newly turned worgen like the Hillsbrad Refugees - are not afraid of or deterred by loud noise.

Worgen have heightened senses

ā€œYour quarry? You jest!ā€ Genn sniffed at his opponent. ā€œYou think you can take him from me? Listen to me, Varian Wrynn! The curse more than heightened our senses. We see things that no normal human can.
Wolfheart pg 266

The chief worgen then turned his gaze toward the trees. Ears pricking up, he let out a slight snarl. Jarod heard nothing, but a few seconds later the worgen relaxed slightly. ā€œWeā€™re alone now,ā€ the worgen announced with confidence. The night elf did not ask how the other could be certain. He trusted in the worgenā€™s senses. ā€œI appreciate your talking with meā€”ā€
Wolfheart pg 298

Varian caught wind of the worgen long before he saw the first. He knew that they could not smell his scent yet, for the wind blew toward him. The king also knew that they did not hear him, either, despite their acute senses. The curse might have given the Gilneans heightened senses, but they had not had the years to hone them as he had. They were still basically who they had been, while he had a lifetime of experience.
Wolfheart pg 262

Thanks for the questions Demontune! And good ones too. I appreciate getting to write more on the reproduction debate, and Iā€™ll be keeping my ears perked for more sources on worgen and noise. :bacon:

1 Like

PURITY OF ESSENCE:

A WORGEN LOOK AT WORGEN LORE

:wolf: Archmage Arugal and the Bloodmoon Pack :bear:

Alliance! Ever wondered about our mysterious allies, the worgen? Come to the Embassy TONIGHT at 7:30PM PST to learn the truths of this ancient, bestial race. This week, learn how the Northrend worgen came to be, and what fate befell them at the hands of the Alliance. A tale of desperation, secrets, prejudice, and blood.

APRIL 12th, 7:30PM PST, STORMWIND EMBASSY

Not on WrA? Click here to add this event to your ingame calendar and be invited when it starts.

https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invite/E0GezwZiEg?region=US&faction=Alliance

Arghh! I found this out too late! I do have an ongoing rp I would love to get some feedback on. I am on Cenarion Circle and I have my Worgen DK who is a necromancer.

In my backstory I had him captured as a Gilnaen and taken to Undercity. His resistance to the plague and the undeath they were trying to force on him were experiments that failed. Not wanting to admit to the Dark Lady that they failed, they sold the poor Worgen to a warlock who wanted to make a pet out of him. At that point he was still alive.

I am still working on this story and I would love some help or some advice on how to proceed on it without getting too carried away.

If there is anything there that might not fit lorewise, I can chalk it up to Malcotin lying to keep his story interesting.

Is the transformation a slow and yet painful process? :butterfly:

Worgen Transformation

We do see in Wolfheart and Curse of the Worgen that it is definitely a physical and gradual change. Unlike ingame, there is no instant magical effect, or dramatic smoke. It involves growing of bones, cracks and pops, and tearing out of clothing as the worgen grows a third in height. They can feel the change, the body expanding, hair rapidly growing, face extending into a grizzled muzzle, and more.

Speed

How much times does the transformation require to complete? In the source material, it does not take all that long, but it does take long enough for one to notice the change and each of the gradual shifting of muscle and bone. It may also be in some way related to anger level, adrenaline making it faster. We see in Wolfheart where the Gilneans shift at the meeting for theatrical effect, and it is slow and described. In contrast we have Halford Ramsey jumping into battle, or Genn shifting to jump in Lord of his Pack, which seem to take less time. However, this could just as well simply be the difference in detail between a shortstory and a novel.

Pain

I would not go so far as to call the transformation painful, but it is shown to be somewhat uncomfortable. The worgen transformation is no mere magical appearance, it is a gradual, physical change, as your muscles shift and bones grow. Characters do not describe pain, and they do not scream through the change like some werewolf transformations in fiction, but some - like Genn in Curse of the Worgen - are shown to be clenching their teeth as the pops and cracks begin. Others do not appear to show discomfort, but are distracted and roused to the fight.

The real pain or discomfort described or depicted in Worgen lore is not when you are changingā€¦ but when you are trying -not- to change. In Curse of the Worgen, we are shown Ramsey and Greymane. Ramsey is bitten, and fights the curse for three agonizing days before it finally overpowers him, and he has his first change. Greymane on the other hand is already a worgen, and is capable of human form, but it is painful to try and keep himself from changing when he gets worked up.

Wolfheart (p. 209)

Their bodies swelled, growing a third again in girth and height. Although originally loose-fitting, the Gilneansā€™ clothing still proved too tight for this shift, and shirts and jerkins ripped loudly. Hair sprouted over the Gilneansā€™ arms, legs, chests, and faces, spreading so thick that it became fur. Beneath the fur came the sounds of cracking and popping, of bones shifting and tendons stretching into positions of which they should not have been accustomed. Their arms and legs twisted as their forms contorted, the legs turning sleeker, more akin to those of a swift predator. Each figure became hunched, but in that manner of a powerfully built beast. As the audience watched, rapt, the Gilneansā€™ hands stretched and the nails grew into long, savage claws. Yet, that paled in comparison to the astounding metamorphosis of their faces. It was not just that the ears narrowed and stretched but that the mouth and nose pushed forward, melded together, and created a muzzle filled with sharp teeth capable of rending through flesh without trouble. The worgen stood before the Alliance. The lupine figures held their ground, although there was in them the evident urge to run, to hunt. They did not turn from the gazes of the crowd, instead staring confidently back.

Knaak, Richard Aā€¦ World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 209). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Curse of the Worgen

https://i.imgur.com/hwDb5Fu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QYV1YTD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DEAaWwK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RoVxRWf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mgTYWdC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ffiyO5e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9yuAWK3.jpg

Lord of His Pack

Genn watched the skiffs bouncing in the choppy waves. No. He could not stay. He could not. This was his family. He owed them much. Even now, with their world shattered to pieces, even accounting for every foolish choice he had made, Mia and Tess still believed in him and supported him. He took a deep breath and let out a roar. He could feel the change, his body expanding, his hair rapidly growing, his face extending into a grizzled muzzle.

With a loud howl, arching his back and reaching his arms out to the sky, he completed his transformation. He was a worgen, one of the wolf-men whom he had asked Arugal to summon all those years agoā€”one of the wolf-men who, with the Forsaken, had inevitably destroyed his nation. But in this form, he was faster and stronger. The curse that he had become afflicted with had its advantages.

He ran toward the starboard side of the ship, full speed. The wet deck didnā€™t affect his balance: he was singularly focused. The animal instinct inside him coursed through his veins. His mind was hell-bent on the act alone, nothing else, just the doing. And then, as he reached the railing, he jumped!

Thanks for the question! :bacon:

1 Like

The Beast Within :wolf:

This question is easy and complex all in oneā€¦ just as worgen are man and wolf in one. Yes, worgen are always full of human logic and beastial instinct. This is the way it was designed, and how it functions to this day. That does not mean, however, that the two must be in conflict.

Worgen Origins

The origin story goes all the way back over nine thousand years, to wolf druids who used the four-legged Pack Form. It was pure wolf (not wolf-man), and the druids often lost themselves fully to wolf instinct. While it was the most powerful weapon against the satyr horde, it was also too hard to control. Those druids prayed to Elune - the goddess of Balance - for an answer. Elune answered, turning the wolf druids into wolfmen. It was neither manā€¦ nor wolfā€¦ but the perfect balance between. This is an extremely summarized version of the whole origin story, described in the five part comic series Curse of the Worgen.

What is ā€œbalanceā€?

Worgen are the perfect balance between Man and Wolf. Even the Nightbane and Bloodfang are intelligent enough to wear clothes, use magic, build, speak, read, write, form government, have religion, and shapeshift (Duskwood, Dark Riders, Curse of the Worgen). And even the most ā€˜civilizedā€™ of worgen must sate their need to hunt, feel the call of the wild, and the need to run in the wild. As seen in Wolfheart as Genn Greymane and his noblemen run and hunt on all fours to dig their teeth into Teldrassil boar, and by Anduin in Before the Storm appreciating that a worgen army can feed themselves.

Sometimes, the human and wolf parts of the worgen mind are in conflict. This is described as a worgen without balance, and are often incapable of shapeshifting. This is where the Ritual of Balance comes in. It is not a cure, and some people can shapeshift fine without it. What it is, is kind of therapy. The ritual is a series of visions, which inspire you to move on from your past and get over your own rage, and then to harness your rage into fury. Not eliminate it, mind you, but harness it. (Halford Ramsey Curse of the Worgen, and Varian Wrynn Wolfheart)

If the man has accepted the beast, the beast will accept the man. The result is a ā€œbalancedā€ worgen. One where the human logic and wolf instinct run hand-in-hand, like a beastmaster and his wolf. Even in human form, Genn Greymane will psychologically never be fully human, and this is depicted with his bouts of rage ingame, in Wolfheart, and in the upcoming novel Shadows Rising.

Conclusion

So to answer your questionā€¦ worgen are sentient beings with beast instinct. They are both. There can be conflict between the man and wolf, like ying and yang, but a worgen is at their best not when one is suppressed, but when both work as one.

Curse of the Worgen

https://i.imgur.com/XfGxd37.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Q6ycFBT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vG1Hfaw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n2Em0iP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hlxxkfe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cfv22wm.jpg

Lord of his Pack

He ran toward the starboard side of the ship, full speed. The wet deck didnā€™t affect his balance: he was singularly focused. The animal instinct inside him coursed through his veins. His mind was hell-bent on the act alone, nothing else, just the doing. And then, as he reached the railing, he jumped!

Wolfheart

The lupine figures held their ground, although there was in them the evident urge to run, to hunt. They did not turn from the gazes of the crowd, instead staring confidently back.

Knaak, Richard Aā€¦ World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 209). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

:bacon: :bacon:

1 Like