šŸ„“ Worgen Lore - Ask me questions!

Youā€™re right, Curse of the Worgen does an excellent job of documenting Halford Ramseyā€™s progress, and it shows that he suffers for three days before a state of delirium and panic overtakes him, then triggered by the memory of his sisterā€™s suicide.

The next best lore example of someone bitten would be Mardigan in Dark Riders. He is bitten during battle, and appears as a worgen not but a couple pages later, while his father and Revil are cleaning up the fightā€™s remains. So that could not have been more than a few hours tops.

The big variables here are willpower and environment. Notice Halford is a renowned detective, while Mardigan is a farm boy with rage problems as a human. Halford was bitten then kept indoors for storytime by candle light, whereas Mardigan was bitten and thrown into a chaotic skirmish afterwards.

Theoretically, how, when, and who you bite determines how long it should take. We know it can be within hours, or within three days. In roleplay, I like to say ā€œAnywhere between three hours to three daysā€, but this is an estimate and for dramatic effect.

2 Likes

So do we have an estimate on how long the Worgen assault on Gilneas was? I feel like it could be anything from a few hours to a whole day.

Your guess is as good as mine there. Since that infamous (three week??) time-jump happens during the worgen assault.

The only time jump I can say for sure happens is during the cinematic at the Cathedral, when the player transforms and then is captured. Based on that series of cinematics, I made sure to watch carefully and looked at the moon, about 6 weeks passes between the player turning into a Worgen and being captured and having their mind returned by the potion.

Unfortunately this doesnā€™t really help the issue of how long the Worgen assault on the city was. I donā€™t remember any hints about it in the comics either, Halford Ramsey shows up during the assault so we donā€™t know how long it had been going on for.

Is there a difference between drinking worgen blood and getting bitten? The refugees of Fenris Isle turned almost immediately after drinking Dariusā€™ blood.

2 Likes

Six? Looking at the cinematic, it looks like two weeks, since it goes from the full moon to the waning crescent. Are you putting another month in there?

Sadly this is the only example we have seen of a blood transmission. And that appears to be the only difference, the speed at which the metamorphosis occurs.

In total, there are four ways to become a worgen,

1. The Source
    A druid takes wolf form and channels power from the Scythe of Elune, granting a quick but gradual and painful transformation (Alpha Prime, Curse of the Worgen).

1. The Bite
    A human or kaldorei is bitten by a worgen. When the curse was new, the biteā€™s effects were as quick and painful as using the Scythe. In modern times, it takes mere hours (Dark Riders) or up to three days of headaches (CotW) and growing fur from the wound (Starter Zone) before you finally change.

1. Polymorph
    A polymorph is placed on you by a mage or an enchanted item, turning you into a worgen. Or, the likeness of one anyways. It was in this way that Arugal placed the curse on the forsaken Apothecary Berard. He does the same to humans in the Grizzly Hills, who - unlike real worgen - become human again after they die.
    [/details]

1. The Blood
    Drinking worgen blood, which appears to have immediate effects. After that, the Hillsbrad Refugees appear and act as worgen. Their dead remain in worgen form, they are immune to undeath, and feel the worgen rage. Some people theorize that the ā€œcureā€ given to the Gilneans transfers as well, because the Hillsbrad Refugees appear sane. However, not only is the ā€œcureā€ bogus (feral worgen are not mindless, and Gilneans still hunt) but Darius Crowley never did the ritual.

The only difference I know is the one you said, that they turn quickly, as if they had turned using the Scythe or the original bite. If I were to theorize as to why, I would guess a pint of blood in a cup has a higher concentration than the trace amount of saliva on fangs. Some also theorize that it is the symbolic act of drinking the blood that turns you, not the blood itself, therefore you cannot accidentally become a worgen by drinking something with worgen blood in it. However, given we have not seen an example of that, and blood curses can affect the unknowing and unwilling, this is likely in vein.

Get it?

2 Likes

The cinematic shows a full moon, then it transitions to Godfrey approaching the cage you are in and itā€™s almost a new moon, but then it shows flashbacks to when you were caught and shows the moon was full when the player was caught.

Based on what Godfrey says, and just logically thinking, it doesnā€™t make sense that the player was caught the same night they first transformed. There is no way, the rest of the Gilneans were fleeing to safety, there is no way they turned around and began immediately hunting the Worgen that same night.

This leads me to believe that the player changes, and is in that mindless state for a month roaming the woods before they get caught in the trap. Then two weeks later the potion is given to them.

I will note, I donā€™t think itā€™s ever been confirmed that he never took the ritual. In fact, I would need to go back and look, since itā€™s been a long time since I read it, but I remember it being implied that he at least attempted it once, but wasnā€™t able to get the results, being unable to let go of his issues. After being accepted by his daughter, he does mention that heā€™s considering another attempt at the ritual, if I remember right.

Crowley and Shapeshifting

A fair point, he does say he might try the ritual again. But there is the fact that he was unable to take human form because he couldnā€™t complete it, and we know that we have not seen him in human form since. Where Genn and even his own second in command Tobias Mistmantle take to human form on several occasions, Darius - even when in Stormwind Keep - is only ever in worgen form. He could not shapeshift, he could not complete the ritual, and we have not seen otherwise. One could argue that he simply embraces the worgen curse more than Genn does, but at the same time he refuses to bite Lorna Crowley, even after Sylvanas threatened to turn her into a Forsaken, causing him to retreat from Gilneas.

Theory: Crowleyā€™s ā€œCuredā€ Blood

Ritual of Balance: Not a Cure

Also regarding the theory of ā€œthe cure transfers in blood tooā€. It is also confirmed the Ritual isnā€™t a cure, but also that it is not required. We are shown it isnā€™t a cure, both by the quote ā€œThere is no cure, not yetā€ by Belysra, and by Genn Greymane and his noblemen still hunting wild boar on all fours in Wolfheart. It is said again in Before the Storm that Anduin appreciates the worgen army, since they hunt to eat, and do not need provisions.

Ritual of Balance: Optional

Then we are shown it is not required, especially by the Northrend Wolfcult and the Gilnean Wolf Cult able to shapeshift at will well before the Ritual of Balance arrived. In fact, both worgen cults relied/rely on shapeshifting to find new recruits. Genn Greymane himself is bitten, and maintains human form all through the whole fall of Gilneas, trying and failing the ritual as well but using human form regardless.

Ritual of Balance: Personal

What the Ritual of Balance does do, as seen for Halford and again for Varian Wrynn, is take remind you of your youth, encourage you to forgive the grudges you keep, and shows you have to harness your fury. It is a three part ritual that takes time, is meditative and therapeutic, and is personal. For both Varian and Halford, they still felt the same rage and instincts they did before, but were now in the right mindset on how to use them.

In the end, we have no reason to believe the Ritual of Balanceā€™s effects transfers through the blood. It is neither seen nor stated. The Hillsbrad Refugees turned instantly with no time for such meditation to work on their mind, and act no different than bitten worgen after turning.

2 Likes

As a Worgen? Am i still able to enjoy bakers chocolate without being ill?

1 Like

I have a more subjective question that Iā€™m curious to hear your thoughts on, itā€™s definitely a popular debate subject on the forums right now ā€“ what do you think should have been or still could be done to make the worgen ā€œcurseā€ feel more like an actual curse?

2 Likes

Honestly, I would personally like to see something where Worgen are forced to transform on full moons because of their rage and the urge to transform is too much due to their connection to Goldrinn, who as we know supposedly grows more savage and bloodthirsty during full moons because he feels Elune is looking down on him and judging him.

Outside of that, since I know it will never happen, I would just like to see Blizzard make an effort to show the current drawbacks to the Worgen curse in-game. Let us see more instances of Worgen losing it and their rage take over so they lash out, or how they have the primal need to hunt. That would be a good start.

Life got me busy for the last month and a half, and I didnā€™t have the time to respond in as much detail as I wouldā€™ve liked. But I have just recently been informed that Blizzard has deleted all their old forum postsā€¦ meaning all other answers to such questions I have posted in the past are wiped off the map.

Which kinda sucks.

So, Iā€™ll be getting back to this thread, and my other worgen lore projects I had previously set aside. This may be a blessing in disguise in one way, since people wonā€™t be seeing the ancient posts still claiming worgen are shadow-creatures and other misconceptions, but also means I have to be quick about it and answer what I can.

Worgen Digestion and Bakerā€™s Chocolate

I had a whole post typed up on this one, preparing to respond back in December when you posted. I ended up doing math, comparing charts, researching enzymes, and came to the sophisticated conclusion that I have no idea. Curse of the Worgen paints worgen as the ā€œbalancedā€ form between man and wolf, and Wolfheart supports this calling even Greymane and his pack ā€œcarnivoresā€. There are several NPCs ingame that thirst for meat, and Anduin in Before the Storm appreciates that a worgen army can feed themselves just by hunting. The sources definitely support that worgen can live and thrive on meat, but it is unclear if a high dose of theobromine would be harmful or not.

The general consensus regarding chocolate and werewolves in other literature is that it takes a large amount of chocolate to event effect a large dog, and werewolves are far larger and often far heartier, thus it would take an absurd amount to effect a werewolf. And while Worgen do not have the classic healing factor, they are resistant to undeath thanks to their ties to not one but two benevolent deities. So when it comes to lore, I have no definite answer there, at this time. But when it comes to roleplayā€¦ we know when it comes to people, everyoneā€™s metabolism is a bit different, and some people are able to digest certain foods better than others. Your characterā€™s ability or inability to easily digest a food such as chocolate could be an interesting character trait to explore, similar to Raedolfā€™s allergy to cats. Every meal has to be cat-free now.

2 Likes

The Worgen ā€œCurseā€

This one had me thinking all month. Most of my time is spent studying the worgen and the curse as it is, not in how it could have been, so I had to consider other material. Both in World of Warcraft and from Hollywood. Lycanthropy has always been somewhat different in every rendition, from Teen Wolf where it makes Micheal J Fox a highschool rockstar, to American Werewolf in London where it completely ruins his lifeā€¦ in the last five minutes of the film. And then of course harking back to the folklore, in which it was depicted as more of an ability used by witches or serial killers.

As for World of Warcraftā€™s worgen curse, and how it could be more ā€œcurseā€ like if done differently, these come to mind.

The Curse in Lore

In World of Warcraft, Blizzard has chosen somewhat of a mix, and it has been a curse upon some and a blessing upon others, often depending on how the character got it, if they wanted it, and how well they manage it or accept it. Characters like Sven Yorgen, Tobias Mistmantle, Alpha Prime, Genn Greymane, Ivar, Gervase, Anatoly, Eadrik, and more all have taken the curse differently, and I love the adaptability Blizzard has shown.

Nowā€¦ if I were to look for ways to make the curse more of a ā€œcurseā€, a few ideas come to mind. Worgen are already beset by predatory urges, thatā€™s canon, so thatā€™s not an answer. There is no cure, and worgen are driven to their true forms when they are driven to anger or concentrate with a force of will (see above^), so thatā€™s already canon as well.

Concept: Shorter Lifespan

A couple easy answers would be Lifespan and the Mindless State. We still do not know what worgen lifespan is, whether they age as humans or as elves, or are immortal or not. Some theorize they may be immortal, since Wolfheart shows Genn does not feel the aches of age at all in his true form, and leaps across the battlefield with as much youth and strength as the youngest of his men. After all, the trolls (the shortest lifespan) evolved to Kaldorei (one of the longest) thanks to Elune, and it is Eluneā€™s power at the source of the worgen curse. However, there are others that theorize the opposite, that to become a worgen is to be doomed to the relative lifespan of a wolf, which lives up to eight years in the wild. If this were true, it would certainly be enough to be considered a curse, if not even a death sentence to races like Humans and Kaldorei that would have lived much longer.

Concept: Inevitable Mindlessness

Again with the ā€œless time to liveā€ concept, there is the Mindless State. As it stands with worgen, the mindless state is a panicked bestial state of fight-or-flight similar to a rabid animal, that some may lose themselves to if they are not careful. With worgen, it is more or less treatable and does not effect everyone. With forsakenā€¦ howeverā€¦ the mindless state is inevitable. With the undead, the mindless state refers to the brain rot that eventually occurs, growing worse over time until the forsaken is either put down or is left to shamble aimlessly. Applying such a ā€œtime is limitedā€ concept to worgen, much like the forsaken or Meridaā€™s mom-turned-bear in Brave, the worgen curse would definitely be considered a curse.

Roleplay, Curse Management, and Racism

Now as for roleplay, the worgen curse can still be a curse and a point of inner turmoil if you wish. There is the regret of what you may have done while going through the initial shock and panic of your first change, as well as the perpetual call of the wild that may be a curse to an aristocrat or vegetarian. It is also shown to be more difficult to manage by those with great inner turmoil, like Sven Yorgen or Halford Ramsey, so a character fighting with PTSD on top of the curse would have quite a time. Not to mentionā€¦ there is also the great racism towards worgen, all throughout lore and even today. In Wrath of the Lich King, a whole village of people were killed by the Alliance once they were revealed to be worgen, Lord Godfrey decided to commit suicide rather than follow a worgen as his king, Revil Kost the priest loves rats more than people and considers worgen the vilest of creatures, and the Carevin family in Darkshire spews suspiciously Scarlet Crusader sounding propaganda while paying adventurers to hunt worgen. Playing a worgen for several years, I have had the opportunity to experience how these little tidbits of human racism on worgen have effected the playerbase, and it is fascinating to witness the change in behavior one a character - or a player for that matter - realizes you are a worgen in human form. For a Gilnean noble type character who cares about his image, this strike against them may be all they need to consider it a curse.

In conclusionā€¦ I would say the worgen curse is great how it is, and I would not personally change it. The way it is set up, the curse is what you make it. To quote one of my favorite family filmsā€¦ it is not the power of the curse, it is the power you give the curse. It appears to be different for every character, a curse to some and an answered prayer to others.

1 Like

So, in regards to the whole reproduction situation, where we know they are born without the curseā€¦ Is there cultural ritual for children of worgen/Gilneas who wish to join the pack?

Pack culture seems extremely high, so it almost feels like it could be a coming of age rite despite not all Gilneans taking on the curse, like our lovely princess.

Thoughts?

First thought, I do not believe worgen bear human children. Sadly all my detailed posts explaining why are lost from the old forumsā€¦ but long story short, ā€œcursesā€ are heritable. See Curse of Flesh, Sethe, Horns of Echoā€™ro, etc. Regardless, children worgen can happen one way or another (see Lilā€™ Bad Wolf). So letā€™s talk about how.

Nowā€¦ going under the idea that worgen do bear human children, there are still those who would want their children to have what they have. There is no lore of rites of passage, besides perhaps the Bloodfang and Nightbane and their Righteous Kill. This rite (shown in Curse of the Worgen) requires you to kill a human enemy of the pack, after which you earn the bite, and become a worgen. That could easily apply as a rite of passage to such a youth aspiring to become a worgen.

However I do know that people such as the Bloodfang Pack live in a hostile territory populated by Forsaken, and would want to bite their child as ees early as possible. Every year their child is a human, is a year at risk of being captured and turned into a Forsaken, whereas the worgen curse would grant them immunity from undeath (Silverpine questline). Nightbane similarly have populated Duskwood for thirteen years, and I have no doubt that couples would have formed in that time. Like the Bloodfang, the Nightbane are part of the Wolf Cult (shown in Dark Riders) and consider the worgen curse to be a blessing. Likewise in a territory populated by undead, and seeing the curse as a blessing, would likely give the infant the curse as early as possible. Which, considering how small the Lilā€™ Bad Wolf is, is rather early on.

1 Like

To be fair, thereā€™s been exactly one blue post on this issue, and it suggested they do, in fact, have human children. While a curse might be heritable, that does not automatically imply they all are. We currently know of two ways to be afflicted by the curse: being bitten by one, or willingly drinking the blood of one.

A lot of people are quick to look at fluid exchange as the transmission vector, but I disagree. While true of some depictions of Werewolves, these are not Werewolves. They are Worgen, and they have their own way of doing things. In this case, it is act, not substance that transmits the curse. The act of the Worgen biting the individual is what passes the curse, not infected saliva getting into the wound. It is the act of knowingly drinking a Worgenā€™s blood that passes the curse to the drinker, not the blood itself.

The baby is involved in neither of these acts while in the womb, and thus is not born cursed.

However, I understand that this is an unpopular take on how the Worgen work, despite coming from a Blue Post. And while he admitted to not being one of the big lore-team members in the post, itā€™s worth noting that heā€™s never been contradicted in any official material that Iā€™m aware of. Regardless, I will not belabor this point any further, and will leave the topic open for people to continue posing their questions about various points of Worgen Lore for the sake of their RP.

And as an aside, I really hesitate to use battlepets as a factor in meaningful lore discussions, lest we be expected to find a serious lore-based explanation for Baby Winston, or the Zergling from the classic collectorā€™s edition.

On worgen tails :dog2:

Pasted from General Discussion

I acknowledge that [some players] want tailed worgen, and [some] are willing to break lore to justify it. I am not. Worgen are worgen, and worgen do not and never have had tails, nor do they need tails to be worgen. However, if tails must be added to satisfy the vocal minority, then there is a tasteful and appropriate way to do so, as long as it meets certain criteria.

1. Lore :scroll:

Lore should matter. And it does matter. For one, Blizzard Entertainment has ā€œLore Historiansā€ employed as a full time position to keep track of it all, they have paid several professional authors to write novels to better depict events and scenarios that cannot be done justice with a questline.

Money spent on lore

DC comics and Dark Horse comics, and more were hired to write books on past events in the timeline. Not simply for entertainment, but to explain lore. It is through Curse of the Worgen that we discover what really happened in Gilneas, in Dark Riders that we learn what feral worgen are truly like, and in Wolfheart that we are shown how Gilnean worgen have adapted to the worgen lifestyle. All this was founded in these works, and used as the foundation for even more, such as the Legion Scythe of Elune questline. In fact, World of Warcraft cares about lore so much, that they spent two years working with Dark Horse comics to create the three part Chronicle series as lore bibles and official timeline of events.

Between employees, companies, and time, Blizzard has devoted quite a lot of money into lore, and therefore considers it greatly important. The few things that they may do against it are few and far between, and are done for different reasons.

2. Standards :memo:

Lore should be followed, and can be used to support creative ideas. It is true, Moonguard has quite a lot of creative and lorebreaking ideas, and when I had to choose between the lorebending moonguard and the loreabiding wyrmrest accord, I chose the latter. Worgen do not have tails, that is lore, and therefore on the rare occasion that someone walks up with a tail, or wings, or another mutation, they are expected to have a good reason. Some can call it elitism, I call it standards. Even so, when someone attempts to join the guild with a crazy idea, I do not shut them down. Rather, lore itself can be used to offer explanation, if you know where to look.

Canonicity and creativity

Instead of rejecting a crazy idea, I delve into the appropriate lore, and find something to explain how the idea could be supported in a canon way, so they do not have to make vast changes to their backstory. And if not, then something to the same goal. No, Steve, worgen arenā€™t allergic to silver, but you could have been cursed by a mage with a sense of humor. No, Bob, humans arenā€™t immune to the worgen curse, but those memories of having been bitten with no effect could have been implanted. No Jefferey, worgen donā€™t have super healing, but perhaps you could have been blessed by a loa.

In the case of tails

In the case of tails, this ā€œuse lore to explain itā€ stance still stands, and there are some good possibilities. There is absolutely no need to disregard the game, disrespect its creators, and discredit lore, and an explanation can be found. But it does have to meet certain criteria.

1. :wolf: Unnatural
    • There is no lore saying worgen cannot have tails. But there is all lore showing that they do not, and never have. The natural state of worgen is tailless, that is fact, and so a tailed worgen is unnatural. The first worgen were normal, Alpha Prime was normal, Halford, Genn, Ivar, Gervase, Shagra, Eadrik, Mardigan, Sven, Whal, Ulricha, were all normal worgen. The addition of a tail option would be exactly that, an addition.

1. :lion: Acceptable
    • The Pack Form is considered forbidden magic to the Cenarion Circle, and the Worgen Curse is considered a curse by the Alliance. The worgen player character is a Gilnean and a member of the Alliance, which is a big reason why playable worgen use cat form instead of Pack Form; you are not allowed to. No matter how you twist it, becoming more wolf would be frowned upon, like becoming corrupted.

• The only reason Gilnean worgen are tolerated to begin with - unlike Nightbane or Bloodmoon worgen - is because their affliction was unintentional, and something that has befallen them. Intentionally becoming an undead or void corrupted is frowned upon, but deathknights and void elves are accepted because they are unfortunate victims. In this way, a mutant worgen may be acceptable as well, if it was not their intention.

1. :waning_crescent_moon: Powerful
    • The worgen curse is a powerful thing. It draws directly on a wild god, as well as the one true deity of Azeroth. In fact, it was done directly by Elune, without Goldrinnā€™s permission (kinda like how she blackmailed Malorne), shown in Curse of the Worgen. It is able to spread to others, persists through death and to the afterlife, and there is no cure. These are facts, and a testimate to just how powerful the worgen curse is. No one has altered it. If it was possible, Gilneans would have altered it to be less bestial. Therefore, any kind of direct alteration to the worgen curse on any worgen would have to be more powerful than Elune, by Elune herself, or with her support.

1. :partying_face: Personal
    • Preferably, the reason behind a tail mutation should be personal to be believable, to explain why most worgen are normal and have been normal throughout history, and why the individual is an outlier. But not so personal - like being the chosen one - that others cannot use the reason as well. For example, the Night Warrior scenario occurred to a small number of kaldorei, the Horns of Echeā€™ro to a small number of tauren, and Durzaanā€™s void curse on the small number of elves.
      [/details]

Tail possibilities

1. :x: Half worgen form, half Pack Form
    • The worgen form is half wolf and has no tail, in mind body and spirit. The Pack Form has a tail, and is fully wolf and has a tail, and is fully wolf in mind and body. If one were to balance between them, being 25%-75% man-wolf, like the Might of Grizzlemaw form, one could become a more bestial worgen with a greater hunch, bestial eyes, a feral mind, and a tail. While easily possible, it would be a druid form only usable for short periods of time, would likely be frowned upon by Gilneans and Cenarions, and most people advocating for tails do not want to be more bestial to do it, so a sub-form would not work for most players.

1. :x: Some always had tails
    • As said with the added lorebreaking skincolors, going back and re-writing that ā€œthis was always the caseā€ is not fair to the playerbase, and is a major continuity error. Whatever possibilities there are, it should be an addition, and explained.

1. :question: Emerald Dream Corruption
    • I will mark this one as a maybe. On one hand, we have seen in lore that sleeping and dreamwalking for overextended periods of time can - in the case of Malfurion Stormrage the chosen one - alter your body to grow clawed fingers and feet and feathered arms. On the other hand, it is unknown what exactly caused Malfurionā€™s mutations, since other druids have dreamwalked with no side effects, and Malfurion may just simply be natureā€™s chosen one. On top of that, worgen have slept in the Emerald Dream physically for over nine thousand years with absolutely no side effects besides hunger pains and a bad attitude.

1. :white_check_mark: Curse of Omen
    • Goldrinn is not the only lupine wild god. Lycanthoth, his alter ego, exists somewhere in the shadows, and Omen is a wolf god driven mad and corrupted after the War of the Ancients. Once a god of wisdom that guided hunters and gatherers and blessed with immortality by Elune, he is now no more than a rampaging spirit. Lycanthoth or Omen could easily place a curse of lupine imbalance on a small group of worgen opposing him. The Cenarion Circle may be able to lift most of the omen curse, but not all of it, and a tail remains unless further measures are taken. Questline complete, criteria met, optional tail gained.

1. :white_check_mark: Horns of Echeā€™ro
    • We have seen in lore where a wild god can be pleased with a person, and bless them with an animal feature. Huln Highmountain and his followers were blessed by Cenarius, giving them moose horns. Theoretically, a small group of worgen could do something for Goldrinn, and earn a token of his appreciation in return, being a tail.

1. :white_check_mark: Gift of Ardenwaeld
    • I cannot say much about this concept, while we still know so little, but the magics of the Shadowlands, Ardenwaeld, and Tirna Scithe are certainly weird, and each of the covenants are set to give you special abilities in return for your allegiance.

I support creativity, and I support lore, and lore can be used to justify quite a lot without having to break it.

3. Pigment vs Appendage :mechanical_arm:

World of Warcraft will be adding dark skin options in Shadowlands, not just to humans, but to dwarves, gnomes, and blood elves as well. I would say that the addition of real-life human racial skin colors to ingame races are done for real life reasons.

ā€œDark skinned elves are lorebreakingā€

I agree, dark skinned elves came out of the blue for me. My guild has the Wowhead news bot set up to post into our serverā€™s news channel, and it was jarring to see a dark gnome. I was shocked, taken aback, upset, and scrounging for possible answers. But I came to understand why OOCly, and Iā€™ve made peace with that. For immersion purposes, however, as a roleplayer, I had to find something to make it make sense. And with what Iā€™ve found, it actually kind of does.

1. :earth_americas: Titans are responsible for the creation of the titan-forged, which includes several metallic races. The titans themselves are different colors, and so are their creations. When the Curse of Flesh began to change their soldiers and workers, they became the humans, dwarves, and gnomes we know today.
    • :yellow_circle: Gold (Loken, Auriaya)
    • :orange_circle: Brass (Eonar, Aggramar, Khazā€™goroth, Sargeras)
    • :white_circle: Light Grey (Maiden of Valor)
    • :new_moon: Dark Grey (Amanā€™thul, Fallen Avatar)
    • :large_blue_circle: Blue (Argus)
    • :purple_circle: Charcoal-Purple (Golganneth, Norgannon)

1. :man_farmer: Humans have already had some skin color variation, in the form of pale and dark humans. Humans are descended from the Iron Vrykul, made by the titans.
    • :large_blue_circle: Blue (Sif, Hodir)
    • :yellow_circle: Gold (Hargal the Bladestormer, Hruthnir)
    • :orange_circle: Brass (General Bjarngrim, Dark Rune Sentinel)
    • :brown_circle: Brown (Rajh)
    • :white_circle: Silvery (Odyn, Ironaya, Helya, Jotun, Creteus, Nablya)
    • :white_circle: Stony (Ra-den, Freya, Archaedas, Stonewrought Guardian)
    • :new_moon: Grey (Hymdall, Ammunae, Isiset, Dark Rune Champion)
    • :black_circle: Dark (Setis, Setesh)

1. :mage: Dwarves have a rocky history. Literally, with Earthen - exactly what it sounds like - for ancestors. These Earthen come in a variety of colors, and dwarves have been seen to as well.
    • :large_blue_circle: Blue (Pyrium Lodestone, Clay Mudaxle)
    • :orange_circle: Tan (Rocky Cliffedge, Shale Drilldeep, Earthen Dwarf)
    • :brown_circle: Brown (Earthmender Deepvein, Magorn, Earthen Warder)
    • :white_circle: Pale (Earthen Hallshaper, Earthen Custodian, Sandstone Earthen)
    • :new_moon: Light (Brangrimm, Catapult Driver, Earthen Warrior)
    • :black_circle: Dark (Thelett Shaleheart, Earthen Rocksmasher)

1. :man_mechanic: Gnomes have a metallic past as well, having been created as the robotic mechagnomes, which also come in color variations.
    • :yellow_circle: Tan (Fumblub Gearwind, Tinny, Clockwork Sapper)
    • :orange_circle: Orange (Mr. Fixthis, Jeeves, Mechagnome Curator)
    • :brown_circle: Brown (SCRAP-E, Walter, Reprogrammed Librarian)
    • :black_circle: Dark (Mimiron, Clockā€™em, Parts Recovery Technician)

1. :elf: Sinā€™dorei are likewise seen to be fair skinned ingame, and they have no relation to the titanforged, so metal types is no excuse here. However, that does not mean there canā€™t be dark skinned elves, and there are a few good explainations available I have seen around. Time in the sun over thousands of years, residual kaldorei genetics attributing to darker tones, both are reasonable, but attributing it to human genetics - who have had a dark option from the start - is the best of the three, and would explain the recent appearance.
    • :sunny: Extended Exposure is a popular suggestion. Sinā€™dorei are descended from kaldorei, which are descended from trolls, which are by nature incredibly physically adaptive to their environment, even becoming sandy or frosty. Even if elves have not inherited this trait, extended exposure does darken skin color. I have known friends who were born pale, and are in the sun so often and are so genetically predisposed that they appear dark. Sinā€™dorei live for quite a long time, giving time for extended exposure for certain outdoor lifestyles such as architectural or agricultural fields. Besides the sun, elves have been known to be highly susceptible to adaptation through magic influence as well, be it arcane or otherwise, and exposing themselves to magic is something the Sinā€™dorei in particular do best.
    • :genie: Kaldorei genetics have been suggested, even going as far back as the darker skinned Dark Trolls the kaldorei came from, and could be a possible explanation for players as well. Though Chronicle says the Sinā€™dorei gradually lost their purple hues - which included some dark purple tones - there are several cases in real life were genetics skip a generation in the form of recessive genes, or even remain from the olden days, such as the appendix or the pinkie toe.
    • :man_farmer: Human genetics are another possibility. Firstly, half-elves are possible, that much we have seen. Second, dark humans exist, weā€™ve seen that too. Humans moved to Tirisfal Glades as far back as 15,000 years ago, and Sinā€™dorei moved there as well shortly after the War of the Ancients 10,000 years ago. Living in the same general area, there may have easily been couples being formed, even before the two became officially friendly some 2,800 years ago. In theory, Sinā€™dorei dark skin could be attributed to having some amount of human genetics.

ā€œReasons behind added dark skinā€

I do hope it might be explained officially, but I doubt Blizzard will touch that topic, and risk offending one person or another. The reality is that these dark options for elves were added for real life reasons, not lore reasons. I was upset about it at first, but I have accepted it was done for reasons relating to real life. In addition, skin color is not quite such a drastic addition as adding another limb to their anatomy. I have my own theories as to how dark skinned dwarves or sinā€™dorei could be possible, and I would hope a player would think of his own reasons for his character. Even so, there is an entirely different reason to adding skin colors than to wanting extra tails, and in my mind attempting to compare the two to justify tails is stooping low and grasping at straws. The likelyhood of a race developing another skin color is just as it is in real life, and I would argue the likelyhood of developing a tail by mere genetic mutation would be the same likely hood as in real life as well. Color options need no explanation; anatomy additions do.

ā€œPigments and appendagesā€

1. The Genetic Perspective
    • If a person can have a child with a different color, they can have a child with an extra appendage too right? Well yes, but actually no. There are several cases of caucasian couples bearing dark skinned infants and vice versa, which are genetically tested and confirmed to belong to the parents, not the neighbor. Vestigial tails are possible as well due, but are extremely rare and tragic deformities. I planned to go into it on occult spinal dysraphism, but after looking into it, Iā€™d rather not. The point here being that pigment mutation is common, while extra appendage mutation is a rare extreme, and cannot be compared.

1. The Lycanthrope Perspective
    • Now take a look at tales from a shapeshifting perspective. One could argue that sure, tails are genetically extremely rare, but werewolves go through extreme change. That is true! But we also know that worgen shapeshift not in a plume of smoke, but gradually, and feel it happen. To take worgen form, you begin to swell, and human bones and muscles grow and change shape. To grow a tail, however, you would have to grow additional bones out of nowhere, your rear muscles would have to stretch and extend to cover the new vertebrae, covered in new skin. This would make the worgen transformation much more complicated to explain, and likely more painful, and therefore I can see and appreciate that World of Warcraft descided to go with the Stephen King and Joe Dante style lycanthrope when worgen were added in 2004.

1. The Druid Perspective
    • Druids grow a tail without a problem, so why would worgen be different? It is actually just that simple; worgen are different than a druid form. Where druids clothes shapeshift with them, worgen rip out of theirs. Where druids return to elf form if killed, worgen druids return to worgen form, something Jarod Shadowsong noted as particularly peculiar in Wolfheart. Where druids have to be taught to those connected with nature, worgen spread by bite to everyone and their mother. Even Cenarius himself, the god of druidism, says that the worgen curse is in fact ā€œbeyond druidismā€. I would even say that the worgen features lend even more to the fact that the form is not natural, including the glowing eyes, iconic hunch, humanoid posture, and lack of a tail. Features that Blizzard has kept through three different models in 2004, 2010, and 2019.

Color happens, and needs no expiation; anatomy additions do.

No, worgen do not ā€œneed tailsā€. As said before, worgen are worgen, and worgen do not and never have had tails, nor do they need tails to be worgen. However, if tails must be added, then there is a tasteful and appropriate way to do so, as long as it meets certain criteria. The best way would be to add a Night Warrior like questline where the worgen character is mutated or blessed with a fifth appendage, or even one simple quest text explaining why some worgen suddenly have tails and others donā€™t. One way other another, unlike simple hair-doā€™s and colors, a tail requires an explanation.

It occurs to me that I have, in fact, already addressed both of these questions in prior posts. Just click on the corresponding post below. And hereā€™s some bacon to enjoy as well. :bacon:

Worgen Theory: Are Curses Hereditary? :family_man_boy:

Worgen Theory: How do Blood Curses work? :wine_glass:

Also nudging this thread again! Visitors, have any questions about worgen lore? Ask away! I will provide an answer, cited sources where possible, and free thankyou bacon. :bacon: