🥓 Worgen Lore - Ask me questions!

Interesting. Yes, makes sense that some Worgens being nowadays more into Druidism than the Light. I would like to believe that also some of them still attached to the Light, specially those who were priests before the curse.

1 Like

I’m glad you appreciate it! I really do love this stuff.

Worgen Spirituality

That’s a very big question, and a sensitive topic. No matter the answer, someone would be upset. Even I have changed my perspective on it from time to time, as I learn more about Druidism, worgen cultures, and The Light.

The topic of worgen religion itself is quite a difficult one, because there is no one single culture of worgen to look at. There’s Gilnean culture, then Gilnean worgen. There’s Kaldorei culture, then there’s kaldorei worgen. Beteween the Gilneans, there’s a cultural divide between upper-class Royal and lower-class Rebel. Between the Kaldorei worgen, there’s a divide between those that worshipped Goldrinn and became worgen, and those who were simply bitten in the crossfire. There are packs made of just Kaldorei-Worgen (Terrowulf), of just human Worgen (Greymane, Moonrage, and Bloodmoon), and several consisting of both, no doubt mixing the cultures (Nightbane, Bloodfang, and Talonbranch).

There is such a variety of contributing variables that, in the end, it really depends on what culture the character is a part of, what their personal experiences and beliefs are, and what kind of character you wish to play.

That said… I’ll tell you what I do know.

Worgen Religions (click to expand)

Goldrinn and Elune

The two gods Goldrinn and Elune are frequently mentioned in the worgen lore, for good reason. It is their combined magics that created the worgen curse, and thus it is to they that the worgen owe their strength. Even if Gilnean worgen do not openly worship these pagan deities, they surely seem to revere them. Genn Greymane himself refers to Goldrinn as “our patron spirit”, and respects Varian because he is Goldrinn’s chosen champion.

We see things that no normal human can. Some call you Lo’Gosh, though that they use a Taur-ahe title for you I find ironic. Still, it is but another name for Goldrinn, as we have come to know our patron spirit since our transformation. I saw the aura of that spirit around you the first moment you arrived at the banquet, and even though you gave every indication of crushing our hopes then, I still held out for our chances because I could see his touch upon you as if it were your own skin. . . .”

Knaak, Richard A… World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 267). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Varian surveyed the other worgen, and though they were swift to recover from their shock, their movement yet struck him as slightly slower than his own. “Goldrinn . . . ,” Genn muttered, staring. “Lo’Gosh . . . his aura . . . it surrounds you so completely. . . .” Around them, the ears of the other worgen flattened, but in awe, not fear. “Goldrinn truly touches your heart, your soul . . . ,” Genn murmured. “The wolf honors you, and so—so do we. . . .” Varian said nothing, but he, too, was at last able to sense what Genn had known from the beginning. The ghost of the great wolf had made him its chosen, its champion.

Knaak, Richard A… World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (pp. 331-332). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Some Gilneans, however, have come to embrace and worship Goldrinn fully, such as those that joined Alpha Prime’s “Wolf Cult” in Gilneas. Alpha Prime himself spoke of both Goldrinn and Elune when he spoke of the curse as a purity, in his cult’s holy book “Purity of Essence”. Thanks to this book, the Wolf Cult appears to be the dominant belief in the Bloodfang (Curse of the Worgen) and Nightbane (Dark Riders) packs. The Nightbane and Bloodfang even refer to the Scythe of Elune as the “Fang of the Father”, referring to the male wolf god Goldrinn, rather than Elune.

The Gilneans at least revere Goldrinn and Elune, while the more tribal worgen seem to heavily worship Goldrinn. While it is not stated that ALL worgen MUST worship Goldrinn, it may be difficult not to feel some respect and gratitude towards the great god of the hunt, and the goddess of balance. But again, it comes down to the character. A street rat risen to greatness thanks to the Curse may be thankful, while an aristocrat knocked down to a new low may loath those gods responsible for the curse. Even so… it is indeed curious that Genn Greymane, the King of Gilneas itself, enjoys the worgen form so readily, and respects Goldrinn so much.

The Old Ways

Now to address the Old Ways, which the Harvest Witches of Gilneas follow. I’ve heard it referred to as Gilnean Paganism, and really, that seems quite accurate. We don’t know much about the Old Ways, but we know that it was an old animistic (pagan) belief left over from the days of human tribes. We are told that this had completely died out in other human nations, and was in the process of dieing out (more slowly) in the secluded city of Gilneas. We are also told that it was rare, only practiced on the fringes of agrarian villages, and that Genn hadn’t been exposed to it - in his own country - until the fall of Gilneas.

He had heard that druidism was practiced among some of Gilneas’s agrarian folk, but he hadn’t been exposed to it until recently.
Lord of his Pack, pg 2

The Old Ways are indeed a secondary religion of Gilneas, if not even rarer. Gilneas is based on industrial revolution England, so let’s look there as an example. Paganism once dominated Scotland and Ireland. Now, 59.5% are Christian, while Neo-Paganism is counted somewhere within the 0.4%. Meaning, if you have one thousand people, up to four of them may be some variation of pagan. This may have been slightly higher in the industrial revolution some two hundred years ago, and may be higher in Gilneas - set in a fantasy world with spirits - but the point still stands that the “Old Ways” would be rather rare. This number is said to have grown slightly during the Gilnean famine, and of course may have grown more popular among Gilnean Worgen as they become closer with nature.

Yet even so, the Old Ways are far from being the prominent religion among worgen. Rather, it is more akin to added lore, to justify and introduce Gilnean Worgen druids.

The Light

The Light… is an interesting topic. The Light appears to be the dominant religion not only among humans, but among the other Alliance races as well. The Gnomes pray to the Light in the starter zone, the humans dwarves and draenei all have priests as their current racial leaders, and several civilian NPCs pray to The Light.

The Light appears to be the dominant religion of Gilneas as well. The “Light’s Dawn Cathedral” stands at the very center point of the city. Genn refers to praying and The Light multiple times in Curse of the worgen (“I pray you’re both wrong” and “Light, no… not this. Not now. Not the Forsaken.” in issue 5), as well as Liam, who says “Light, help us all!” directed to the The Light, as the cataclsym strikes.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/512036763871739925/570805527651811330/unknown.png

As for Gilneans once they become worgen, it’s difficult to say. I would say an individual’s belief is heavily influenced by the culture surrounding them, and this certainly applies to worgen. Those like Genn living in Stormwind amid other Alliance races may continue to worship the Holy Light alonside them, maybe even strengthened in this fellowship, “as iron sharpens iron”. Those living in the Nightbane and Bloodfang may revere the Light in their spare time, alongside Goldrinn and Elune, or forget the Light altogether. The same can be said for those that spend their time in the Cenarion Circle.

Also, the one worgen Priest I can recall is in Raven Hill Duskwood, named Sister Elsington. She uses holy Light, and gives you quests regarding the restless ghosts in the area, helping you calm their souls.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Sister_Elsington

All Three (Speculation)

Some food for thought as well… My own character has explored each of these religions in his own way, over the years. In a way, he now practices a balance of all three. Because it is religion, it is influenced by personal experience, personal choice, and cultural influence. With a Harvest Witch past, discovering Goldrinn and Elune in roleplay a few years ago, and a recent near-death encounter with The Light, he’s found a way for all three to work in agreement.

The Light is all that is good in the universe. Goldrinn is a god of Life, far lesser in power than the Light. Elune is a goddess of balance, found only on Azeroth, while the Light covers the whole universe. The Old Ways is simply a reverence of nature, and caring for nature in the mortal world with basic nature magic.

Chronicle 1 says that in the beginning, there was Light. Where the Light was absent, Shadow grew to power. Rising tension between the two resulted in conflict, “rupturing the fabric of creation, and birthing a new realm into existence”. If only Light and Shadow existed, then the other four planes of magic (Life and Death, Order and Disorder) resulted from the “explosion”. Since Life and Order are positive, they must have come from Light, and since Disorder and Death are destructive, they must have come from Shadow in contrast. If Life goes hand-in-hand with Light, then nature itself - as well as the demigods - exist because of the Light.

Therefor; Nature obeys the Wild Gods, which obey the plane of Life, which obey The Light.

In this way, using nature magic, revering Goldrinn, and worshipping the Light functions, as a nature oriented follower of the Light. Just as a soldier may serve in a different regiment, but serve the same country.

This is certainly going to be an interesting topic to include, in the worgen RP guide. “Religion” itself is a field of study, that people can major in, especially anthropology, theology, and psychology. I’m just a worgen-obsessed Environmental Science major. :sweat_smile:

I dare say I went far deeper into this topic tonight than needbe… but such a big question! And worthy of a good answer.

And bacon. :bacon:

5 Likes

Thanks for the reply! That’s a lot of information. BTW, related to the relation with the Light and the realm of life and nature, the lore says that Velen told to Nobundo that shamanism was another way to the Light (or something like this). May be that could helo to understand the Link between the Light and the realm of Life or Nature.

1 Like

Oh yes, of course! Apologies, I really should have noted that while discussing them.

Yes. It is confirmed, via CDev response, that the Lich King’s power suppresses these instincts when the worgen is raised as a Deathknight.

:brain: Worgen Psycology: Emotion and Instinct (or lack there of)

When raised as a Deathknight, a juggernaut of the scourge, much of the individual’s identity is lost. Emotions, memories, even past addictions[1] and instincts[2] are all suppressed, overwhelmed, and replaced by Death Magic.

Which makes a lot of sense. Those worgen instincts aren’t just there for fun. Instinct serves a purpose; survival. The instinct to flee, if you’re in danger. Instinct to protect your young, keeps the next generation alive. Instinct to hunt, keeps you fed. An undead being no longer fears danger because it’s already dead, has no need to protect children if it cannot reproduce, and has no need to hunt if it never grows hungry. No need for shelter, if you never need to sleep. Whether it’s because they’re dead, or because the Lich King found them unnecessary, Worgen Deathknights have as much instinct as any dead wolf carcass.

:muscle: Worgen Biology: Death

Now here, I have something to offer.

It is true that worgen get their fur, fangs, and instincts from the worgen curse, which in turn draws from the Wild God Goldrinn. If the worgen curse is drowned out by the Lich King, then why are worgen deathknights still worgen?

The answer here is simply this. A worgen’s body is, physically, worgen. When you undergo your first change, your true body turns into a worgen. Note that this is not a druid form[4]. When a worgen dies in a druid form, they return to worgen form in death[3]. When a worgen dies in worgen form, they remain in worgen form[5][6]. Either way, upon death, the worgen remains as worgen.

Therefore, a dead worgen is still, physically, worgen. A fact that surprised Jarod Shadowsong[5], as he came to realize the worgen was no mere druid form.

:skull: Worgen Deathknights: They have needs too!

So we’ve covered typical worgen instincts and behavior, and how you can just throw those out the window when it comes to worgen Deathknights. But, while we’re on the subject, there are plenty of Deathknight urges that can supplement those missing instincts.

Namely, the hunt. Worgen have that constant urge to hunt, just as Demonhunters are compelled to wreak havoc. Deathknights, in turn, have the need to cause torment. While wolves do not tend to torment their food often, the prey no doubt feels a great level of fear during the chase, and despair afterwards. This may not be the most effective means to get your torture fix, as skinning a Horde spy alive might, but it gives you a reason to hunt all the same, should you wish.

Sources
  1. Ask CDev Answers - Round 2 https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ask_CDev

Are blood elf death knights still afflicted by their racial addiction to magic?

No, though their new addiction, the one all Ebon Blade death knights possess, is arguably worse: the need to inflict pain. If death knights do not regularly inflict agony upon another creature, they begin to suffer wracking pains that could drive them into a mindless, blood-seeking hysteria—a far worse fate than that of those who suffer from arcane withdrawal.

1. Ask CDev Answers - Round 3 https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ask_CDev

From the quest “Death Knight Death Knight [55] A Special Surprise,” a worgen death knight could learn from Lord Harford that they were servants of Arugal before their death and resurrection. But, how did they keep their humanity and intelligence without drinking the Ritual Water?

When the player death knights are pressed into the service of the Lich King, their minds are flooded with his indomitable will. The mind of a worgen who has not undergone the purification ritual beneath Tal’doren is in a state of constant battle between the wild, animal instincts of the curse and the rational mind of a human. With the addition of the Lich King’s control, however, the instincts of the curse are shattered by his power, leaving the logical, human mind in the service of the Scourge. And with the Lich King’s will removed, as was the case with the Knights of the Ebon Blade at Light’s Hope Chapel, only the human portions of the mind remain, giving the now free, undead worgen control over its destiny.

1. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Inconspicuous_Bear
  2. Curse of the Worgen issue 4, pg 16. Cenarius says “This form is beyond druidism. I do not believe that what has been done can be undone.” https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/512036763871739925/570845199098576916/unknown.png

It was another worgen . . . minus his head. Even in death, he still retained his lupine form, something that Jarod had not expected.

Knaak, Richard A… World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 341). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

1. https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/512036763871739925/570847684404051968/unknown.png

I really should write a worgen class guide sometime in the future, to go over all this again more efficiently. But I’ll admit Deathknight lore isn’t my forte. So when my niche (worgen) overlaps with another niche (deathknights), I’ve been able to contact someone in the know about Deathknights, or even a Deathknight worgen RPer that shows their stuff. I knew this one guy a couple years ago, Deathcharge on ED, who rocked the Deathknight Worgen RP pretty well.

Anywho, here’s more thankyou bacon :stuck_out_tongue:
Not that you’re hungry or anything, deathknight. But still. :bacon:

5 Likes

Certainly is! Thank God for those dropdown spoiler boxes, am I right? That… and… they removed the character limit.

I’mma have to look into that!

It spoke to me of secrets and power, and also of truths. The Light had not forsaken the Broken! The fel energies that the orcs had wielded long ago against the draenei had infused us, causing a break in our ability to be heard by, or perhaps to hear, the Light. The same that had been responsible for the degradation of our bodies.

But our spirits were not broken, and the air offered to me another path, through which I might deliver my people.

What was that?

It taught me the path of shamanism, which in a way is just another facet of the Light. Joining the wind was the water of the oasis, the fire from my camp and the earth upon which I sat. All had something to say.

Over the next few years they taught me what it was to call upon and be one with the elements of the world. And they told me that the worlds of all of the stars in the sky, even this one, are made up of these elements.

That’s certainly interesting, and definitely contributes to the “Druidism serves Light” theory. Shamanism, which in a way is just another facet of the Light. Could make sense… Shamanism uses “Spirit”, the element of lifeforce, which is on the positive side of the cosmology chart, leading to nature.

4 Likes

Related to this topic,
I will be hosting my monthly worgen lore sermon event this Wednesday at 8pm PST, Stormwind Embassy Wyrmrest Accord.

If anyone wants to join from another realm, you can join the ingame Community for an easy invite to the group.

Join the ingame community here to add this event and more to your ingame calendar.

1 Like

Are Worgens terrified of rolled-up newspapers?

2 Likes

Always kinda curious, why are worgens hard too raise into undeath?

not as a death knight i mind you, but as a basic undead?

1 Like

I’m no lore expert here, but I remember hearing it has something to with Worgen being connected to the Emerald Dream and Nature magic which is all about Life, so basically Worgen are very hard to raise into Undeath unless said person who raises them is very powerful, like the Lich King.

1 Like

<The Wolf Cult> presents, “Purity of Essence”
Stormwind Embassy, 5pm WrA / 7pm MG

Meet us at the Stormwind Embassy tonight at 5pm for a lesson on worgen lore. This month, the TRUE story behind the Fall of Gilneas. Come for answers, stay for food, trivia and prizes, questions, and open discussion.

See the official thread for more info, as well as discord and ingame community invites.

1 Like

20 minutes! Find me at the Stormwind Embassy on WrA

1 Like

I’m getting back into the game, so let’s go ahead and revive this thread. I need to visit the forum frequently to earn back Trust lvl 3, and answering worgen questions is just what I need to get pumped about worgen again.

I almost feel like I answered this one, perhaps on another post.

There’s a few ways you could look at this one. Hierarchy, or fear. In terms of hierarchy, worgen - including Genn and his pack - live in a pack culture (see Wolfheart), where the Alpha does have to scold his followers if they get out of line, much like Ralaar Fangfire does in Curse of the Worgen. In contrast, if you’re talking about attempting to attack or scold a random worgen that doesn’t consider you a leader, you’re like to be disapointed by the results. https://i.imgur.com/cAK5m3w.jpg

The second way to look at that question would be fear. Something interesting to note is that while the quest Escape from Silverbrook litterally yells “There’s lamp oil in the back - make use of it. The fiends hate fire!” and has you burn worgen, suggesting worgen hate fire. Yet even wild worgen packs had long since lit their territory with torches, and even a giant bonfire (Brightwood Grove, Duskwood), and lit their dens with torches (Dark Riders).

Good question. A few things contribute to why the worgen is resistant to undeath. First and foremost, this is proven in-game, then backed up by a CDev response, then backed up by lore (unlike some CDev claims).

Ingame

This immunity becomes relevant in the Silverpine Forest questline, when Sylvanas is attempting to slay humans and raise them as undead, but the worgen get to the Hillsbrad Refugees first, who willingly accept the curse rather than be raised as undead slaves.

" Lord Darius Crowley says: Drink my blood and be reborn as worgen, immune to the depravity of the Forsaken."
https://wow.gamepedia.com/No_Escape

Community Developer Response

This is explained further in a CDev Response, saying
Not only are the Val’kyr less powerful than the Lich King when it comes to raising the undead, but the worgen curse also makes raising them into undeath far more difficult than it is for normal humans. The worgen curse has roots in both the Emerald Dream (through the wolf Ancient, Goldrinn) and the holy power of the goddess Elune. In addition, those worgen who imbibe the waters of Tal’doren—through the ritual they undergo to maintain balance between the worgen curse and their humanity—have a further resistance to the corruption of undeath.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ask_CDev#Ask_CDev_Answers_-_Round_2

Why

So we’re told worgen cannot be raised as Forsaken, and we’ve seen that to be true. We’re told the reason is because worgen are connected to Goldrinn and Elune. But why does that matter? Truth is, Life and Death are two directly opposing forces in the World of Warcraft universe. Because the worgen curse is so fundamentally connected to Life through two druidic dieties, minor forces of Death have no say, and it takes far more powerful Death magic (ie. the Lich King) to break that bond.
https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/wowwiki/images/f/fd/TheCosmicForces-WoWChronicleSample.png/revision/latest?cb=20160313175241

And that’s why we don’t have werewolf zombies.

5 Likes

Also

:confounded:

:confounded:

:grinning:

3 Likes

Im looking for help timeline wise with Gilneas. I know that the greymane wall was built pre third war and fall of Lorderan and I know that Gilneas was plague bombed at the start of cata, but what Im trying to figure out is when the worgen starting zone starts, when/ what happened during the blackout halfway through it when ypur character becomes a worgen, how long it is between the blackout and when your character is given the cure to the feralness of the curse, and if gilneas was inhabited at all before the forsaken invasion.

Typed on phone please forgive any mistakes I didnt notice and thank you for your time!

2 Likes

Ooo… very good question. The question of the Gilneas and worgen starter zone timeline is one that just can’t be answered, because of how vauge the writers have been in all sources. In the starter zone, it gives a transition via cinematic from the city’s fall to Liam with facial hair and the Forsaken attacking. In Curse of the Worgen, it does the exact same thing, literally saying “Some time later…” instead of giving exact days like the comic does leading up to the attack. Here is what we do know;

15-18 - The Alliance Splinters. The Alliance wants to tax Gilneas to keep the orcs in internment camps, Genn says no and builds a wall.

20 - Lordaeron falls to the Scourge, and the dead march on the Greymane wall. Genn has Arugal summon the worgen to fight the undead. The worgen rebel and thrive in Silverpine, then dig under the wall and begin the Wolf Cult in Gilneas.

(Shortly after) - Velinde Starsong summons worgen in Felwood as well. She travels towards Gilneas, but dies in Duskwood, leaving the Scythe to be found there by the Defias Brotherhood, who inadvertently summon the Nightbane worgen in Duskwood.

22 - Darius Crowley disobeys Genn, and sends his men to help Jaina Proudmore. Tensions are already high in Gilneas thanks to a famine, division between social classes, and rumors of wolfmen. The Northgate Rebellion occers shortly after.

28 - Gilneas falls.

33 - Battle for Azeroth begins

The Wolf Cult’s worgen launch their attack on Gilneas well after the end of the civil war. Some time passes between the worgen attack and the Forsaken attack, which strikes when the Cataclysm does (the forsaken can sail in to Gilneas because the cataclysm broke the coral reef). “Some time” may mean a month, since the moon phases change in the cinematic and we seen the full moon both before and after the timejump in the comic. And of course the Gilneans join the Alliance in an Alliance leaders meeting in Darnassus shortly after that.

In short, the worgen starting zone starts somewhere between year 22 (after dark portal) and year 28. Where exactly in those six years is left vague, and so is anyone’s guess. But to be safe, I would wager it all occured in the year (or two) before the wall’s fall.

(Ditto on the phone thing, apologizes for any odd auto corrects i might’ve missed. And thankyou for your question! The worgen timelime and the fall of Gilneas is definitely a topic i should adress in my guide. Here’s some bacon. :bacon: :bacon: )

Edit: I just re-examined the blackout gap as seen in the comic. Halford Ramsey is shot during the worgen attack, blacks out, and wakes up on his own when the Forsaken attack. So it couldnt have been long. In the cinematic, however, the change of the moon phases show the passage of time, from a full moon to a crescent means just under two weeks pass. But in any case, it could not have been months or years, since Halford Ramsey was waking up from a battle wound and not a coma.

1 Like

Sorry if this has been asked before, I may have missed it, but…

-Why was fire so effective against Worgen? In Wrath, we throw lanterns of fire on the worgen cultists to great effect, we throw torches at Worgen in the Worgen starting zone to great effect, and I THINK we use fire against them in vanilla. Is there a reason? Is there some sort of fear of fire bred into Worgen? Or is it as simple as “OH LAWD NO MY FUR ON FIRE”?

-For Nightbane Shadoweavers in Duskwood, what kind of magic are they wielding? It looks like they are summoning voidwalkers. Are they summoning demons? Or is it some form of void magic?

-Can feral worgen sort of… “choose” to become not feral? Or do they need to be given the ritual/alchemical potion to become mentally “there” enough to integrate into society? Is there a downside to becoming non-feral through alchemy?

-If two Worgen have a child, is the child also a worgen? Could the curse be genetic as well as transmitted? Can the worgen child become Human, or will they forever be a Worgen?

Sorry for the multiple questions, but I have been thinkinf about these A LOT. Along with Mag’har orcs, Worgen is my favorite race.

1 Like

Now, I can’t answer all of these, but I’ll certainly give it a shot.

Why was fire so effective against Worgen? In Wrath, we throw lanterns of fire on the worgen cultists to great effect, we throw torches at Worgen in the Worgen starting zone to great effect, and I THINK we use fire against them in vanilla. Is there a reason? Is there some sort of fear of fire bred into Worgen? Or is it as simple as “OH LAWD NO MY FUR ON FIRE”?

For this, I think you nailed it on the head; there’s nothing in their lore to suggest a more meaningful weakness than “fur is flammable”.

-If two Worgen have a child, is the child also a worgen? Could the curse be genetic as well as transmitted? Can the worgen child become Human, or will they forever be a Worgen?

For this one, it was covered in an “Ask the Devs” or whatever years ago. In short, the Worgen curse alters the physical form through magic, not DNA. And being that it’s a curse, it has certain… rules that apply to it. The Worgen curse is spread via bite, or by drinking the blood of a Worgen. While it’s personal opinion, I feel the best interpretation of this is that there’s little to no “wiggle room” for interpretation. It’s the act that causes the curse to spread, not any substance involved in it. It’s the act of the Worgen biting the victim, not saliva or anything like that. It’s the act of knowingly, willingly drinking Worgen Blood.

Regardless, because the child has not been involved in these acts, and has inherited the (human) DNA of their curse-bearing Parent(s), the child will be born human.

3 Likes

Thanks for the questions Urgrumag! I’m working on a beginner’s guide to worgen, so every question I answer goes in there. And thanks for answering what you can Harmarth, that allows me to see if I can’t go above and beyond. So here we go!

I do have plenty to add here.

Fire is indeed used as a weapon against worgen in both the Grizzly Hills and in Gilneas. In Escape from Silverbrook[1], Freed Alliance Prisoner says “There’s lamp oil in the back - make use of it. The fiends hate fire!”, and has you throw fire at worgen. In By Blood and Ash[2] in Gilneas, you use cannons, not fire.

It’s true that fire burns. This is seen as well in Curse of the Worgen issue 4, as Halford Ramsey uses a brazier of fire to bring another worgen to a smoldering end.

However, worgen are not afraid of fire. In fact, both Gilnean and Wild worgen use fire as a tool, both in destruction and recreation. Duskwood itself is a great example of this. In Brightwood Grove, we see the Nightbane Pack of feral worgen have built camps, a village, and have added several campfires, torches, and a giant bonfire to light it all.[4] In the comic “Dark Riders”, the very same worgen are lead by a branch of the Wolf Cult as well, and perform rituals in old houses and caves alike. One ritual takes place in Mistmantle Manor, where the worgen used candles.[5] Their headquarters of Roland’s Doom is lit as well,[6] seen even better ingame where Roland’s Doom is well lit inside and out.[7][8]

Furthermore, we even see the worgen of the Gilnean Wolf Cult using fire without fear. Alpha Prime himself has his abode lit with several candles,[9] and Halford Ramsey uses a full campfire while reading.[10]

In the end, fire can be a problem when it’s in your fur. However, while it may be an instinct that comes with the wolf side, there is plenty of worgen lore to say worgen are NOT afraid of fire, and actually use it in their day to day lives.

Cited Sources

[1] https://wow.gamepedia.com/Escape_from_Silverbrook
[2] https://wow.gamepedia.com/By_Blood_and_Ash
[3] https://i.imgur.com/edITEpV.jpg
[4] https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/512036763871739925/627681250173255691/unknown.png
[5] https://2.bp.blogspot.com/XckkM-X8iawanoNg-dqJDhREEfxZHpGfwHjnE0vhjf6vGkmPnxrPG--yKd5GfFnXVVIwFLU09Y1k=s1600
[6] https://2.bp.blogspot.com/GEjS37R2et08TEgeEHubD0nXXPwqqhhXSyPalKenWTA8oXxUBejVUEUiLtm8joSUjTzWpWgOQLgC=s1600
[7] https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/512036763871739925/627682288003448863/unknown.png
[8] https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/512036763871739925/627682339337666601/unknown.png
[9] https://i.imgur.com/qNkIyTw.jpg
[10] https://i.imgur.com/jPzNf5u.png

3 Likes

Posting so my main can post)

1 Like

What magic to Shadowweavers use?
This one has a simple answer, and a more complex explanation. The Nightbane pack’s Shadow Weavers are using Shadow magic.[1] They use the abilities “Shadow Bolt” and “Shadow Word: Pain”, are called Shadow Weavers, and summon Woven Shadows. Calor says these worgen “conjure foul shadows to tear their enemies apart from a distance”.[2] Shadow Magic is a type of magic using the energies of darkness and void.[3]

Why do worgen use Shadowmagic?
It’s easy to see that these wild worgen are using shadowmagic. The question next is, why? We know the original worgen were Kaldorei druids, so why isn’t their society founded more on druidic magic?

In short, the first worgen were druids, but were banished to the shadow afflicted Emerald Dream, where they did battle with Nightmare Satyr. The worgen that were let out by various means began packs in Silverpine, Felwood, and Duskwood, all three of which are seen using shadowmagic. For the full story, see Shadowmagic in Worgen History below.

Shadowmagic in Worgen History

The first worgen were originally Druids of the Pack, who used the (four legged) wolf form, among other druidic magic. When they became worgen (two legs), they no longer seemed to use druidic magic. After Malfurion Stormrage found them and called them abominations, he banished them to the Emerald Dream. Unbeknownst to him, the Emerald Dream was being attacked by Shadow magic, turning pockets of it into Emerald Nightmare ruled by Satyr, known as Lords of the Emerald Flame.

The archmage “Ur” studied shadowmagic, and even wrote a bestiary on his findings called “The Book of Ur”. In it, he described the shadowy nightmarish dimension he’d found, where the worgen lived in constant battle with Lords of the Emerald Flame. It was with his research that Archmage Arugal, under orders from Genn Greymane, used to summon those worgen. Not knowing that the shadowrealm was in fact the corrupt Emerald Dream, the worgen were banished wolf-elves, and the Lords of the Emerald Flame were evil demon-elves. The shadowmage Arugal betrayed Genn Greymane and swore loyalty to Alpha Prime, the first worgen and one of the many he summoned.

The Book of Ur
The worgen’s home is a dark place, a place of nightmare. If that world fosters locations safe from the cursed Worgen, then my research has revealed no such bastions. And if one considers the ferocity and wickedness of the Worgen, it is likely that no such bastions exist. It is surmised that the Worgen are content to remain on their world, for although some Worgen possess powerful magic, they have made no attempts to reach Azeroth of their own accord. And for this, we are fortunate. As mentioned above, some Worgen are skilled in the mystic arts, and their magic is of darkness and corruption. Curses and supernatural poisons are common, so be forewarned–those who face the worgen should arm themselves with wards against shadow.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Book_of_Ur

At the same time, we have Velinde Starsong using the Scythe of Elune to summon worgen in Felwood, then dying with the Scythe in Roland’s Doom, leading to their accidental release in Duskwood at the hands of the Defias Brotherhood. All three packs (Bloodfang, Terrowulf, and Nightbane) originated from worgen summoned from the corrupted Emerald Dream, where they had been in conflict with Nightmare (shadow) Satyr. And thus, all three have their own shadow-users in their ranks.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Shadowfang_Darksoul
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Terrowulf_Shadow_Weaver
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Nightbane_Shadow_Weaver

Cited Sources

1 https://wow.gamepedia.com/Nightbane_Shadow_Weaver
2 https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Rotting_Orchard_(quest)
3 https://wow.gamepedia.com/Shadow_(magic)

3 Likes