đŸ„“ Worgen Lore - Ask me questions!

Is the transformation a slow and yet painful process?

Does it conflict in-between animal instinct and sentient being with psychology wise? If so, but of both?

Do druids have an ‘easier’ time adapting into worgens?

Does a worgen benefit from a very social job more then other races?

Can worgen handle spicy food?

Can you give more information on how the Northrend worgen packs came to be?

Biology: Reproduction :couple_with_heart_woman_man: - Carriers?

According to the Community Developer Sean Copeland, the worgen curse is not transmitted to offspring, “because it is just a curse.” Since this was posted as part of a CDev post answering several other questions, it is regarded as Blizzard’s official view on the subject as of its posting in 2010. According to this, a human and a worgen would produce a human.

“The worgen curse is just a curse. Its origins are rooted in the druidic pack form that was later altered by the Scythe of Elune. The end result is worgen we see today, beings that can transmit their affliction to others via a single bite. In theory, if two worgen were to mate and produce an offspring, that offspring would not be a worgen. The child would merely possess the genetic material of his or her parents, like any other child sans the curse.” Ask CDev - Answers Round 4

However, there is evidence to support otherwise, which you are welcome to read below. Notably regarding the faulty logic in the quote above, compared to actual lore.

According to Lore

Flawed Logic

In short, there are a few pieces of logic that the CDev response uses to claim two worgen would produce a human. If this post were to have said “No, because magic” or even “-This- curse is not hereditary”, there would be no debate. Likewise, “No, because Elune says so” would have done just as well. However, the post instead uses faulty logic, which can be easily disproved with examples straight from lore itself.

1. “Curses are not hereditary” - (Yes, they are)
  2. “Worgen is a druidic form” - (Not quite!)
  3. “Worgen are genetically just humans” - (Try again)

Curses in Lore

According to world of warcraft lore, curses - especially blood curses - are transmitted to the child. See the Curse of Flesh, Curse of Sethe, Curse of the Sporemounds, the Naga (lay Naga eggs), Fel Curses (modern orcs), and even blessings (which could be called curses) like the Horns of Eche’ro. The worgen curse, like the curse of flesh or fel corruption, is powerful and infectious. Because it is “just a curse”, and curses are hereditary, the curse should be hereditary. According to this, I would surmise a human and a worgen would produce a worgen. And of course, a child worgen exists in the game, described as the oft forgotten offspring of its father, the big bad wolf.

Genetically Worgen

Despite some worgen having the ability to resume their pre-curse form, worgen are indeed worgen inside and out. The worgen curse is not a druid form, confirmed in both Curse of the Worgen and Wolfheart. The worgen form is also their true form, that a worgen will default to when angered, or even go back to when slain, unlike a druid form. Worgen are also spiritually worgen, shown by several worgen ghosts such as the Day of the Dead ghosts, and those in Shadowfang Keep such as Odo the Blindwatcher. If you are bitten and turned, then - like it or not - you are now spiritually, psychologically, and physiologically a worgen. As the CDev says, the child would bear the genetic material of the parents.

Barely had he begun trailing Eadrik than he almost collided with the worgen, who stood stiffly, staring at something a little farther down the trail. It was another worgen . . . minus his head. Even in death, he still retained his lupine form, something that Jarod had not expected. (Wolfheart pg 341)

Counter-arguments for roleplay

Ultimately there is enough to justify either in roleplay, depending on your stance on the subject. You can also read more on the worgen reproduction debate in the posts below. If you are ever faced with such a situation in your narrative, discuss this with your partner to see what makes sense to the characters and the story.

To counter the CDev response, you could also claim there was bleeding in the womb (see Uterine Bleeding) and the infant was thus born a worgen. To counter the Curses-are-hereditary stance, you could say the mother was given a blessing by a Priestess of Elune so the child may be born without the curse. If you are unsure, you could also always let the child be born human, and give it worgen blood later.

Further Reading

Worgen Senses: Hearing :ear: - Noise and Irritability?

Funny enough, this is the question that has me pondering. The worst part is, I feel like there is a clear example of worgen being irritated by loud noise, but I cannot seem to recall where. And this is part of the reason I love hosting this thread; I then keep an eye out for such sources, and I eventually find it and keep it on hand for next time.

However, for now, I did come to the conclusion that it depends on the worgen, the situation, and the noise. It also boils down to a few simple facts. First, loud noises can be irritating, to anyone. Secondly, worgen have greatly heightened senses, especially hearing. And thirdly, worgen are more irritable than a typical human. It can be surmised that, because loud noise is irritable, and worgen would hear it louder and sharper than a human, and that worgen are easily irritable in general, loud noise would indeed irritate a worgen.

Semantic gymnastics aside, there are also some examples of worgen and loud noise in lore. The first that comes to mind would be the Bloodfang Pack in Curse of the Worgen issue 4, as they are attacking the Gilneans, even through the sound of gunfire and cannon blasts. Another may be the Hillsbrad refugees versus the Forsaken cannonfire in the Silverpine Forest questline. While these examples do not tell us if the loud noise was irritating the attacking worgen any more than they already were, it does show us that worgen - even newly turned worgen like the Hillsbrad Refugees - are not afraid of or deterred by loud noise.

Worgen have heightened senses

“Your quarry? You jest!” Genn sniffed at his opponent. “You think you can take him from me? Listen to me, Varian Wrynn! The curse more than heightened our senses. We see things that no normal human can.
Wolfheart pg 266

The chief worgen then turned his gaze toward the trees. Ears pricking up, he let out a slight snarl. Jarod heard nothing, but a few seconds later the worgen relaxed slightly. “We’re alone now,” the worgen announced with confidence. The night elf did not ask how the other could be certain. He trusted in the worgen’s senses. “I appreciate your talking with me—”
Wolfheart pg 298

Varian caught wind of the worgen long before he saw the first. He knew that they could not smell his scent yet, for the wind blew toward him. The king also knew that they did not hear him, either, despite their acute senses. The curse might have given the Gilneans heightened senses, but they had not had the years to hone them as he had. They were still basically who they had been, while he had a lifetime of experience.
Wolfheart pg 262

Thanks for the questions Demontune! And good ones too. I appreciate getting to write more on the reproduction debate, and I’ll be keeping my ears perked for more sources on worgen and noise. :bacon:

1 Like

PURITY OF ESSENCE:

A WORGEN LOOK AT WORGEN LORE

:wolf: Archmage Arugal and the Bloodmoon Pack :bear:

Alliance! Ever wondered about our mysterious allies, the worgen? Come to the Embassy TONIGHT at 7:30PM PST to learn the truths of this ancient, bestial race. This week, learn how the Northrend worgen came to be, and what fate befell them at the hands of the Alliance. A tale of desperation, secrets, prejudice, and blood.

APRIL 12th, 7:30PM PST, STORMWIND EMBASSY

Not on WrA? Click here to add this event to your ingame calendar and be invited when it starts.

https://www.worldofwarcraft.com/invite/E0GezwZiEg?region=US&faction=Alliance

Arghh! I found this out too late! I do have an ongoing rp I would love to get some feedback on. I am on Cenarion Circle and I have my Worgen DK who is a necromancer.

In my backstory I had him captured as a Gilnaen and taken to Undercity. His resistance to the plague and the undeath they were trying to force on him were experiments that failed. Not wanting to admit to the Dark Lady that they failed, they sold the poor Worgen to a warlock who wanted to make a pet out of him. At that point he was still alive.

I am still working on this story and I would love some help or some advice on how to proceed on it without getting too carried away.

If there is anything there that might not fit lorewise, I can chalk it up to Malcotin lying to keep his story interesting.

Is the transformation a slow and yet painful process? :butterfly:

Worgen Transformation

We do see in Wolfheart and Curse of the Worgen that it is definitely a physical and gradual change. Unlike ingame, there is no instant magical effect, or dramatic smoke. It involves growing of bones, cracks and pops, and tearing out of clothing as the worgen grows a third in height. They can feel the change, the body expanding, hair rapidly growing, face extending into a grizzled muzzle, and more.

Speed

How much times does the transformation require to complete? In the source material, it does not take all that long, but it does take long enough for one to notice the change and each of the gradual shifting of muscle and bone. It may also be in some way related to anger level, adrenaline making it faster. We see in Wolfheart where the Gilneans shift at the meeting for theatrical effect, and it is slow and described. In contrast we have Halford Ramsey jumping into battle, or Genn shifting to jump in Lord of his Pack, which seem to take less time. However, this could just as well simply be the difference in detail between a shortstory and a novel.

Pain

I would not go so far as to call the transformation painful, but it is shown to be somewhat uncomfortable. The worgen transformation is no mere magical appearance, it is a gradual, physical change, as your muscles shift and bones grow. Characters do not describe pain, and they do not scream through the change like some werewolf transformations in fiction, but some - like Genn in Curse of the Worgen - are shown to be clenching their teeth as the pops and cracks begin. Others do not appear to show discomfort, but are distracted and roused to the fight.

The real pain or discomfort described or depicted in Worgen lore is not when you are changing
 but when you are trying -not- to change. In Curse of the Worgen, we are shown Ramsey and Greymane. Ramsey is bitten, and fights the curse for three agonizing days before it finally overpowers him, and he has his first change. Greymane on the other hand is already a worgen, and is capable of human form, but it is painful to try and keep himself from changing when he gets worked up.

Wolfheart (p. 209)

Their bodies swelled, growing a third again in girth and height. Although originally loose-fitting, the Gilneans’ clothing still proved too tight for this shift, and shirts and jerkins ripped loudly. Hair sprouted over the Gilneans’ arms, legs, chests, and faces, spreading so thick that it became fur. Beneath the fur came the sounds of cracking and popping, of bones shifting and tendons stretching into positions of which they should not have been accustomed. Their arms and legs twisted as their forms contorted, the legs turning sleeker, more akin to those of a swift predator. Each figure became hunched, but in that manner of a powerfully built beast. As the audience watched, rapt, the Gilneans’ hands stretched and the nails grew into long, savage claws. Yet, that paled in comparison to the astounding metamorphosis of their faces. It was not just that the ears narrowed and stretched but that the mouth and nose pushed forward, melded together, and created a muzzle filled with sharp teeth capable of rending through flesh without trouble. The worgen stood before the Alliance. The lupine figures held their ground, although there was in them the evident urge to run, to hunt. They did not turn from the gazes of the crowd, instead staring confidently back.

Knaak, Richard A
 World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 209). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Curse of the Worgen

https://i.imgur.com/hwDb5Fu.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/QYV1YTD.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/DEAaWwK.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RoVxRWf.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/mgTYWdC.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/ffiyO5e.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9yuAWK3.jpg

Lord of His Pack

Genn watched the skiffs bouncing in the choppy waves. No. He could not stay. He could not. This was his family. He owed them much. Even now, with their world shattered to pieces, even accounting for every foolish choice he had made, Mia and Tess still believed in him and supported him. He took a deep breath and let out a roar. He could feel the change, his body expanding, his hair rapidly growing, his face extending into a grizzled muzzle.

With a loud howl, arching his back and reaching his arms out to the sky, he completed his transformation. He was a worgen, one of the wolf-men whom he had asked Arugal to summon all those years ago—one of the wolf-men who, with the Forsaken, had inevitably destroyed his nation. But in this form, he was faster and stronger. The curse that he had become afflicted with had its advantages.

He ran toward the starboard side of the ship, full speed. The wet deck didn’t affect his balance: he was singularly focused. The animal instinct inside him coursed through his veins. His mind was hell-bent on the act alone, nothing else, just the doing. And then, as he reached the railing, he jumped!

Thanks for the question! :bacon:

1 Like

The Beast Within :wolf:

This question is easy and complex all in one
 just as worgen are man and wolf in one. Yes, worgen are always full of human logic and beastial instinct. This is the way it was designed, and how it functions to this day. That does not mean, however, that the two must be in conflict.

Worgen Origins

The origin story goes all the way back over nine thousand years, to wolf druids who used the four-legged Pack Form. It was pure wolf (not wolf-man), and the druids often lost themselves fully to wolf instinct. While it was the most powerful weapon against the satyr horde, it was also too hard to control. Those druids prayed to Elune - the goddess of Balance - for an answer. Elune answered, turning the wolf druids into wolfmen. It was neither man
 nor wolf
 but the perfect balance between. This is an extremely summarized version of the whole origin story, described in the five part comic series Curse of the Worgen.

What is “balance”?

Worgen are the perfect balance between Man and Wolf. Even the Nightbane and Bloodfang are intelligent enough to wear clothes, use magic, build, speak, read, write, form government, have religion, and shapeshift (Duskwood, Dark Riders, Curse of the Worgen). And even the most ‘civilized’ of worgen must sate their need to hunt, feel the call of the wild, and the need to run in the wild. As seen in Wolfheart as Genn Greymane and his noblemen run and hunt on all fours to dig their teeth into Teldrassil boar, and by Anduin in Before the Storm appreciating that a worgen army can feed themselves.

Sometimes, the human and wolf parts of the worgen mind are in conflict. This is described as a worgen without balance, and are often incapable of shapeshifting. This is where the Ritual of Balance comes in. It is not a cure, and some people can shapeshift fine without it. What it is, is kind of therapy. The ritual is a series of visions, which inspire you to move on from your past and get over your own rage, and then to harness your rage into fury. Not eliminate it, mind you, but harness it. (Halford Ramsey Curse of the Worgen, and Varian Wrynn Wolfheart)

If the man has accepted the beast, the beast will accept the man. The result is a “balanced” worgen. One where the human logic and wolf instinct run hand-in-hand, like a beastmaster and his wolf. Even in human form, Genn Greymane will psychologically never be fully human, and this is depicted with his bouts of rage ingame, in Wolfheart, and in the upcoming novel Shadows Rising.

Conclusion

So to answer your question
 worgen are sentient beings with beast instinct. They are both. There can be conflict between the man and wolf, like ying and yang, but a worgen is at their best not when one is suppressed, but when both work as one.

Curse of the Worgen

https://i.imgur.com/XfGxd37.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Q6ycFBT.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vG1Hfaw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n2Em0iP.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/hlxxkfe.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cfv22wm.jpg

Lord of his Pack

He ran toward the starboard side of the ship, full speed. The wet deck didn’t affect his balance: he was singularly focused. The animal instinct inside him coursed through his veins. His mind was hell-bent on the act alone, nothing else, just the doing. And then, as he reached the railing, he jumped!

Wolfheart

The lupine figures held their ground, although there was in them the evident urge to run, to hunt. They did not turn from the gazes of the crowd, instead staring confidently back.

Knaak, Richard A
 World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 209). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

:bacon: :bacon:

1 Like

awwooooooo

10char

There is no conclusive lore to suggest druids have an easier time becoming worgen. The only instances we know of would be Night Elf druids, who seem to have as much trouble as any other human, and Gilnean Harvest Witches, who we do not see much of. However, you could say it is easier for a druid in different ways.

Lifestyle

The big one is lifestyle. Once the first change is complete, a worgen will feel the need to run and hunt, and to be outdoors. As described in the post above, worgen possess wolf instincts. For many Gilneans, who pride themselves of being cleanly human nobles, the very instinct of wanting to be outside may be enough to call it a curse.

But if a druid is already accustomed to being outside, then such instincts would not be bothersome. If a druid already knows about Goldrinn, they would not find it alien to be drawn to him. If a druid is already familiar with shapeshifting, then the act will not feel nearly as bizarre.

Druidic Perks

The worgen curse is connected to the goddes of balance Elune, and the wild god of the forest Goldrinn. There is a direct spiritual connection, giving worgen their appearance, instinct, and rage directly from Goldrinn. Bonded to a wild god, this race finds their druidic potential amplified, now capable of shapeshifting and far more, as seen by the Inconspicuous Bears outside Gilneas.

Therefore, where a Gilnean noble may find the curse to be a hindrance if they still wish to hold balls and banquets, the curse actually presents itself as quite a power boost to druids and helpful in their daily lives. Again, I doubt the being a worgen or controlling it is any different, but the perspective may be.

That may depend on the social circle. Worgen seem to do well in military, getting to vent their rage on forsaken. They also do exceptionally well in packs of their own kind, but can also live by themselves (Celestine of the Harvest) or with a few choice friends (Fiona).

Sounds like a character trait to me! Worgen senses are greatly heightened
 though taste is never mentioned besides enjoying the taste of meat and blood. I know from experience most dogs do not prefer hot sauce, but others will continue eating anyways. Likewise with humans, some - like myself - enjoy the thrill like a good horror movie or a rollarcoaster. Others - like le girlfriend - can’t handle Frank’s Red Hot. It varies for humans, and it varies for canines, therefore I would assume it would vary for worgen.

I can! In fact my in-game lore night, Purity of Essence, just covered this just this week. I have yet to get it uploaded into a document, but here is last year’s event. It will relay the tale of the Bloodmoon Pack in story format, and was written in realtime as I retold it to the audiance of Stormwind. I will be uploading this year’s soon as well.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PQLa7d5Wn6xCRVx3mV-bdcE2sY7YWkx47hu-SMPHlNs/edit?usp=sharing

https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/543359398073073685/699613541837045790/WoWScrnShot_041320_001115.jpg?width=1194&height=671
https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/543359398073073685/699613533020880956/WoWScrnShot_041220_235638.jpg

have you had any clarification about whether Val’kyr can raise worgen as undead?

cata questing seemed to indicate that no, they cannot, and only the Lich King has enough power to raise undead worgen but those cata quests also seemed to indicate that all nonhumans could not be raised by val’kyr and this is clearly no longer the case

I can see this happening, but I may need a few more details.

1. What year exactly do you wish this to take place?
  2. What race do you want the warlock to be?
  3. How torturous were the experiments, and how was his mental state after?
  4. Define “pet”. Slave for unsavory things? Personal bodyguard? Prisoner and zoo attraction? Cuddly lap dog? (Hint: one is wrong)

1. Year

The worgen appeared in Silverpine after the splintering of the Alliance, and after the Scourge of Lordaeron at year 20 (13 years ago). Humans outside the wall were turned, willingly or not, as the Bloodfang Pack grew.

A couple years later at year 22 (11 years ago) the Forsaken join the Horde, and begin eliminating threats in Silverpine, including Arugal and his worgen. Vanilla quests suggest the Forsaken and Kirin Tor alike were both studying Arugal and the worgen closely. There was very little known about worgen at the time, so any studies would be of great importance.

Six years later at year 28 (5 years ago) the Bloodfang and Forsaken attacked Gilneas, then the Bloodfang and Gilneans attacked the Forsaken, then the Gilneans retreat leaving to Bloodfang to keep up the fight. During this time, humans in the area specifically chose to become worgen on purpose, so that they would not be turned into forsaken, and could not be raised and used. (Horde Silverpine Forest questline). You also see Bloodfang worgen in stocks with forsaken alchemists at places like the Bulwark and other forsaken settlements.

2. Warlock

I would automatically assume your warlock character is Forsaken as well, but I don’t know that. This would make the most sense, for several reasons. One, their almost nonexistant morals. Two, their disdain and wish for dominance over worgen in their ongoing race-war.

Three, folklore. The writings of Archmage Ur (Book of Ur) and quotes from Halford Ramsey (Curse of the Worgen) hint that the “worgen” is a name from ancient human folklore for wolf men, from fairy tales told to scare children. When the wolfmen actually appeared 13 years ago, the humans just decided to call them Worgen. Because why not. If the warlock was once human, they would know of these legends, and have interest in having such a mythical beast in their care or collection, like a unicorn or a manticore.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Book_of_Ur
https://i.imgur.com/R5M8HHZ.jpg

Thanks so much for your help Raedolf!

Yes there are other complications here, as my character Malcotin is a death knight. So I am going to ask if it is possible for him to have been raised by someone other than Arthas? I am not sure, but I seem to recall that Kel’Thuzad seemed to be doing most of the raising, at least in the DK start quests, it seems that they had acolytes and necromancers in Acherus who did most of the raising.

My question would be if it is possible for some rogue necromancer, either a Forsaken, (albeit a very powerful one) or perhaps even a demon who made some sort of deal with the warlock to raise Malcotin after her torture finally did him in?

My backstory is still a work in progress, so anything you can help me with is appreciated. If I have to have him raised by the LK, I can do that, but explaining how he came to be raised, would have to be after he escaped from the warlock, perhaps?

Also to answer your questions about the warlock, in my mind she was a Sindorei. A very naughty one! And she wanted the worgen as a slave to her dark desires. (not going into detail because of censorship)

I was thinking of Malcotin as being born in Grizzly Hills, to the banished Arugal and his followers. Might make it easier to place a rogue necromancer there who might have been sent out by the LK to recruit? Still, I wanted clarification that a powerful necromancer would be needed to raise a Worgen to a death knight.

1 Like

Your question there goes well with Miakodah’s, actually, when it comes to worgen and their resistance to undeath. Thanks to the connection to Elune and Goldrinn, worgen are resistant to undeath. Where humans may rise from the grave naturally or be raised by valkyr, there is an entire zone storyline revolving around the fact that worgen are resistant to undeath (Silverpine). The only exception is The Lich King. Being the most powerful force of undeath in this world, only he can raise worgen as undead as deathknights, and the deathknight curse overrides many if not all lupine instincts.

As for modern developments when it comes to Valkyr, we still have yet to see worgen turned into forsaken. Where nonhuman races were not seen to be raised as forsaken, worgen were specifically stated to be immune, and this very fact is used as a plot point. Battle for Azeroth is also not the first time we see forsaken nonhumans as well, with Blood Elves and even an Orc skeleton among their ranks already. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Tsimonh

The worgen resistance to undeath is specifically stated and used as a plot device in both Gilneas and Silverpine. And where you have recently seen Night Elf dark rangers and gnome skeletons
 note that you have not seen undead worgen, skeletal or otherwise, while they added skeletons for most of the Alliance races which now roam in modern Tirisfal. The lore still stands.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=281088/battle-for-azeroth-25902-creature-models#misc-npcs

That’s an idea! The Bloodmoon Pack is quite the story, and many of them were killed at the hands of the Alliance. At such close proximity to the Lich King’s domain, it would be a simple feat for his body to be found by the Scourge and sent to the Lich King for reanimation.

Also see

1 Like

If they are fully trained the way Celestine was. They tend to be of the Restoration persuasion so outside of their Worgen shifting, t hey don’t tend to.

NPC druid shifting is usually limited to the totem forms of their specific orders.

This question was already answered when it was asked this time last year, but thanks! Note that she is asking about Gilnean Harvest Witches, not worgen druids. đŸ„“ Worgen Lore - Ask me questions! - #23 by Dardillien-wyrmrest-accord

Probably because they still thought of themselves as Humans and not in touch with their true worgen souls. The Curse did not change them
 it liberated their true natures. It was the intervention of the Scythe that put both parts in balance.

1 Like

Harvestwitches were capable of far less, until enhanced by the worgen curse. By this, the question and answer refer to Human Harvestwitches. These are pagan Gilnean humans that lived in the agricultural communities. Following the “Old Ways” of ancient druido-shamanic human heritage they were able to help crops you a bit better, and were particularly helpful during the famine.

It certainly changed things, becoming a worgen. Harvest Witches found their connection with nature amplified, and were then capable of the druidism required for druid forms. But yes, you might say they finally had the ability to be who they wished to be, guardians of the wild.

Chronicle 1

Groups of hunter-gatherer humans proliferated throughout the forests and hillocks of the continent. As their society evolved and advanced, humans gathered in an array of different tribes. Each one practiced animistic beliefs— mainly crude forms of druidism and elemental shamanism.

BLIZZARD ENTERTAINMENT. World of Warcraft: Chronicle Volume 1 (Kindle Locations 2275-2277). Dark Horse Comics. Kindle Edition.

CDev Answers #3

In the early days of humanity and its civilization, many tribes of humans had primitive belief systems that incorporated simple nature magic. However, the rise of organized religion such as the Holy Light and the potent arcane magics introduced by the high elves quickly supplanted such traditions. Gilneas, due to its relative isolation, has retained a degree of their ancient culture in the contemporary era. The religious leaders of what was in Gilneas referred to as the “old ways” eventually became “harvest-witches”; those who used their nature powers to augment Gilneas’ agricultural output during and following its period of industrialization. Due to the presence of harvest-witches in their culture, when Gilneans learned about night elf druids (albeit through second, third and even fourth-hand sources) they became fascinated by them and their exotic connotations, to the point where many started referring to harvest witches as “druids”, though this was quite far from the truth, as few Gilneans had any idea what a druid actually was! Harvest-witches have a limited control over nature, especially plant life, and the powers of harvest witches bear a coincidental resemblance to the low-level abilities of actual druids. Harvest witches who contracted the worgen curse (which was druidic in origin) found that their powers were somewhat amplified, and after making first contact with the night elves cursed harvest witches were offered induction into the Cenarion Circle for both study and training.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Ask_CDev#Ask_CDev_Answers_-_Round_3

Thanks for the opportunity to revisit the topic! Here’s some bacon. :bacon:

1 Like

Awoo

10char

I’m glad you mentioned that, I’ve been wanting to address this misconception for quite a while now.

Misconception: “Intervention of the Scythe” :crescent_moon:

What is the misconception?

The use of the Scythe of Elune is a common held misconception when it comes to worgen lore. In the Gilneas starting experience, the kaldorei claim that you must steal the scythe, so that they can use it to cure you. This never happens, and there is no cure. This is specifically stated in Curse of the Worgen.

What is the truth?

The Blood Feud
In fact, it is a lie. Belysra Starbreeze and the kaldorei in Gilneas did not want the Scythe to make a cure
 they wanted it to put Alpha Prime - the leader behind the worgen attack - back in his exile in the Emerald Dream. Meanwhile the Wolf Cult - the worgen attacking Gilneas - wished to use the Scythe to free their brothers still trapped in the dream. This was the true purpose of you stealing the Scythe of Elune. The Scythe was never used to “bring balance to the worgen mind”, or “unbind that which was not meant to be bound”.

The Ritual of Balance
Many believe that the Scythe of Elune then resulted in the “cure”, being the waters of Tal’doren. This is false, as the scenes of the starter zone are explained in further detail in Curse of the Worgen, and the ritual itself is explained in greater detail in Wolfheart. In fact, the Ritual of Balance is a series of three visions, meant to help you move on from your past. It has nothing to do with the Scythe of Elune. It is performed in the starter zone, and the Scythe is nowhere to be seen. It is performed in the Curse of the Worgen comic when the Scythe is not even in their possession. It is performed again in Wolfheart, and again the Scythe is not present.

The Ritual of Balance is not a cure, it is only helpful (Belysra, CotW 5). It is also not needed for all worgen, such as Genn, the Bloodfang, the Bloodmoon, and others that are capable of shapeshifting before the ritual (CotW 1, CotW 2). In fact, it is also shown to have a chance at being harmful. Genn Greymane reveals that the Ritual of Balance has a chance of turning worgen to the mindless state, and he himself has had to put men down who have failed the ritual (Wolfheart, Ch22).

The Cure

While the Scythe was not used to help Gilnean worgen in Cataclysm, it was used to help Kaldorei-worgen in Legion last year. When wielding the Scythe of Elune, the Balance Druid Adventurer can find four different “Feral Worgen” NPCs in Val’sharah. Using the Scythe, they can remove the worgen curse, turning them back into an elf. The elves will thank the druid, and say they no longer feel the rage, confirming that the curse has been removed from them entirely. After all, the Scythe is the origin and source of the worgen curse, and can also mean its end, in the “right” hands. This is the development the Cenarion Circle wished to find, and had finally done so.

Unfortunately - or perhaps fortunately - this did not last long. Soon after, the Legion invasion escalated, resulting in the dark titan himself plunging his fel sword into Azeroth. The artifacts collected were all used to sap and neutralize the fel energy from the sword, ultimately corrupting each of the relics and rendering them loaded with vast amounts of fel energy. This is the last we have seen of the Scythe of Elune. It is presumably still in the care of the Cenarion Circle, but has not been used, and is likely rendered useless.

Sources

Curse of the Worgen

There is no cure - https://i.imgur.com/YpVB5go.jpg
Scythe to summon - https://i.imgur.com/ZGUSkFI.jpg
Scythe to banish - https://i.imgur.com/cfv22wm.jpg
Ceremony before the Scythe - https://i.imgur.com/QYV1YTD.jpg

Wolfheart pg 319

The worgen laughed sadly. “Trust me from experience. That might be simpler. We lost several before we were shown the correct ritual by the night elf Belysra Starbreeze. They were consumed by the curse, became beasts without hearts, without souls.” Genn looked off into his memories. “We had to put them down. The ritual is still fraught with danger. Now and then, there are those who do not survive it.” Varian was not dissuaded. “Better I die trying than to keep on like I am, Genn. I’ve lost my wife and now my son. Anduin may be gone forever and it’s because of me. . . .”

Knaak, Richard A
 World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 319). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Wolfheart pg 320

His brow furrowed in deep thought. “We can guide you into the ritual, but how you come through it depends much upon you. To conquer yourself— your own worst foe— requires tranquility, balance, and, last and by no means easy, ultimate mastery of your fury. Three struggles, not one.” “Three or a hundred, I’ll face what needs to be faced. Show me, Genn.” The worgen nodded. “May your ability be as great as your determination.” Genn did not lead him among the other Gilneans, but rather skirted to the south and then east. However, as they walked, several other worgen left their tasks and began following. “Why are they following?” “The ritual needs to be overseen by more than just one.”

Knaak, Richard A
 World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (p. 320). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

Wolfheart pg 321-322

“This is where we’ve made do since our arrival,” Genn explained. The clearing itself appeared unremarkable save for three simple wells sunk on the opposite side from where they had entered. The fact that those wells were here signified to Varian that they had some importance to what was to take place. That was verified a moment later by the sudden emergence from the woods behind the wells of three druids. At first, Varian expected Malfurion to step out as well, but only the trio— two males and a female— moved toward the wells and the worgen. He did not recognize any of them other than as night elves. They wore solemn expressions and eyed the worgen as if looking for something. “Who is it to be?” the middle one— his blue hair bound in two long braids trailing nearly to his waist and a smaller one thrusting upward from the back of his head— asked of Genn. The Gilnean ruler indicated his counterpart. “This one, Lyros Swiftwind. I give you Varian Wrynn.” The druids looked startled. Lyros muttered, “But he is no worgen.” “Yet, still he suffers as we did before attaining balance,” Genn explained. “The fury within him is no less than that of any of us, possibly even more.” “Please step forward,” the female requested. Varian obeyed. The three druids each placed a hand on the king’s shoulders, then closed their eyes. They studied the lord of Stormwind so for a moment before opening their eyes and withdrawing their hands. Lyros looked at his companions, who nodded to the monarchs. “We see it now,” he said to Varian. “Welcome, Varian Wrynn. We are honored with your presence and, as keepers of these wells, will do what we can for you . . . though I think it best that Genn Greymane be your guide for this.” “I’d prefer that,” Varian replied. “I’ll be glad to,” Genn added. The other male druid— his short, narrow beard and closer-cut hair both green— extended his palm. In it Varian saw a single long, silvery leaf that tapered at the point. “Take this. Eat it. It is a moonleaf, a symbol of both nature and the Mother Moon. It will help prepare your mind for the ritual.” Varian took it without question. He expected the leaf to be bitter, but instead it had a soft, soothing texture and proved easy to swallow once chewed. “Now you must drink from each of the wells.” With Genn beside him, Varian followed the druids to the first of the three wells. Here, the second of the two males took over once more.

Knaak, Richard A
 World of Warcraft: Wolfheart (pp. 321-322). Gallery Books. Kindle Edition.

World of Warcraft: Cataclysm

“Today our ceremony will restore balance to your people.” The Ceremony will, not the Scythe
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Preparations

“Let the Scythe unbind that which was not meant to be bound!” says Talran the Wild, during a single part in the middle of the ritual. Yet the Scythe is nowhere to be seen.
https://wow.gamepedia.com/Neither_Human_Nor_Beast
https://gamepedia.cursecdn.com/wowpedia/9/99/Well_of_Tranquility_active.jpg?version=06280d778ea2ada1b8e6cd60fbfa7ef5

World of Warcraft: Legion

Scythe is used to remove the curse entirely. https://wow.gamepedia.com/Feral_Worgen_(Val%27sharah)

The Scythe is used to store fel energy
https://wow.gamepedia.com/The_Power_in_Our_Hands

Thankyou for the opportunity to explain this in detail Drahli! I’ll be able to add this to the list of questions, and can be referenced when the question comes up again. Do let me know if you have any other questions about worgen, and here’s your thankyou bacon in the meantime. :smiley: :bacon: :bacon: :bacon:

2 Likes

Hi, I’m sure this has been asked before but I’m relatively new, and I really want that bacon :drooling_face: so here goes:

Why can’t worgens be paladin?

1 Like