Women don't even like Sylvanas

Blizzard clearly made Sylvanas the way she is now because they felt they needed to show they gave “woman power” in their games, as if they didn’t already. (They did, and those female characters are actually awesome.)

However when things like this are forced, as Sylvanas story arc clearly is, they never go well.

Recently I tried introducing my wife to WoW. We played new characters together and leveled up through Cataclysm as two undead. This got her interested in the lore and so we thought we would have a nice night and make some food, some drinks, curl up together and get her caught up on the lore.

After watching hours of Nobbel and others my wife has come to the conclusion she hates Sylvanas after really liking her when she played Warcraft 3. She confided in me that it’s obviously a pandering move, and that’s why it falls flat.

Blizzard way able to make likable, strong, role-model esque female characters in the past. Jaina, the old Sylvanas, Tyrande (Tyrande!!), half the dragon aspects, and more were all cool, fleshed out characters.

The reason why is because those characters were written as a natural part of the story, with no political boxes to check off, because anyone who’s old enough remembers none of this stuff existed back in 2004.

It’s like we’ve regressed instead of made progress with pandering, poorly written characters like Sylvanas. That’s the main point I wanted to make here. If you don’t read the rest of this post, at least read these last two sentences above.

103 Likes

You do not speak for me, I’m a woman and I love Sylvanas.

It’s a Game; and she’s always been my favourite Lore Character. :seedling:

https://media.giphy.com/media/xThtatRttFzLD9oEtG/giphy.gif

176 Likes

So what made your wife like Sylvanas in WC3? Considering the fact that she’s a evil, condescending, manipulative person in that game?

If you ask me, she’s more in character than ever. What a strange 180.

37 Likes

With how fast you replied you for sure didn’t read the body of the post lol.

17 Likes

I as a woman hate sylvanas. The writers think to have strong females they need crutches to be strong. cough cough jailer powers

Jaina is a true strong woman.

71 Likes

I didn’t, I do get sick of these posts. But I read the title, and thought it was a gross generalisation that I needed to address! :grinning:

Really? None of us? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

22 Likes

And you speak for all women ???

48 Likes

I feel pity for you then.

28 Likes

Hah, you do that. You pity me because of a character I like in a game, Cinderpetal. :grinning:

46 Likes

Yes, yes I do.

So many better choices in this game for one’s favorite, then a certain staff member’s precious waifu.

25 Likes

Yes, exactly the point

4 Likes

I like all the Lore Characters, even Tyrande. We have lost enough, they are unique and are so vital to the enrichment of the WoW story.

Not liking an antagonist isn’t a bad thing, but wishing their removal is. Where is any story without the flavour of all it’s main players?

19 Likes

I disagree. Unfortunately I think the current cdev leadership has an over-fascination with Sylvanas and she’s being thrust into Kerrigan levels of garbage writing. They are so disconnected with the playerbase they don’t see how disgusted with her character the average player is. Has nothing to do with pandering.

24 Likes

How about Jaina or Tyrande?

2 Likes

Sidenote, I wish some of you guys agreeing with me would like my post. :sweat_smile:

5 Likes

I’m NOT agreeing with you. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Well, tomatoes tomatos tbh. The point is they wrote Sylvanas thinking she’d be this super amazing character and also show everyone they have woman power in WoW (as if Jaina doesn’t exist) and they failed epicly. We actually agree, just not on terminology.

5 Likes

I’ll like that post, because you do seem nice! :seedling:

1 Like

You agreed with literally everything I said. Maybe our wording is a little different, but it’s essentially the same…

5 Likes

Bah, I’d better read it then… conclusion to my opinion incoming…

1 Like