WoD Style Gearing

this gearing system is worse.

so basically all of us in pvp gear are going to log in on patch day and be in worse gear than the day before.

7 Likes

There was a Blue post in the PTR forum yesterday where they mawsplained it to us.

Why are people happy with this? WoD style gear was great because there was no rating attached to gear, and it was fairly easy to get a full set of conquest gear to be on-par with top PvPers.

The problem with PvP gearing right now, is that it takes FOREVER to gear up a fresh alt when there’s 12-13 ranks of tier upgrades to get. There’s also an immense power gap between each bracket (being decked out in 220 for being 1800 gives you a massive advantage over someone decked out in 213 when they’re 1785). Neither of these issues are solved by this.

All that this SL take on WoD style gearing does is make it more difficult for PvPers to get into PvE and PvEers to get into PvP.

The problem with gearing right now is the immense range of item levels that exist between gear levels, and the associated power with that. A person with at 1800+ with full Rival gear will always stomp on someone in 1600 Challenger gear. The full item level PvP set being unlocked at a single rating bracket (1400, 1600, 1800, 2100) amplifies this problem, because there is a very large power gap between each bracket.

I could care less if the 1% mythic raiders felt the need to grind out PvP ranks during the first couple weeks of mythic progression. That’s hardly a significant portion of the playerbase. Besides, we have the Valor point system back, where they can grind out their weapon upgrades that way.

Basically this. Absolutely none of the problems with PvP gearing are solved by this change.

14 Likes

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/pvp-item-levels-in-chains-of-domination/937788

Nobody escapes the bad gearing system.

this is a big sourpoint. on patch day every pvper is going to log in and be 6 ilvl weaker. sure we will be stronger in pvp, but that doesn’t matter. we already dunk on pvers because of the versatility. the problem is the ilvl gaps in pvp between pvpers, which this change does nothing to solve.

what is really happening is the devs are trying to pull a fast one on us, they have made a change that helps only one group: pvers who feel compelled to pvp, and does nothing for any of the pvpers. then they sell it to the pvpers as the “WoD style gearing” that we requested.

this is not what we requested. and when in wow’s history have they nerfed a class of player? pvpers are getting nerfed as a whole group of players overall.

8 Likes

I wish I can smash the like button on this a million times. The problem with the current system isn’t mythic raiders smashing people with their OP trinkets and high ilvl gear. The trinket issue isn’t too much of a problem anymore, thanks to the set bonus.

The issue is the immense power gap between each bracket of honor gear-unranked-1400-1600-1800-2100.

3 Likes

The irony is pvpers go an entire expansion (BFA) where PvE gear is king in PvP and there are no fixes. Give pvers one single season where PvP gear is king in PvE and we get insta nerfed. It doesn’t help PvP gearing in any way. Just makes us less competitive in PvE.

God we need our own dev team of actual pvpers.

Amen… Spent more time mog hunting than pvping or pveing in BFA/SL lol… Definitely one of their best creations.

4 Likes

“Bait hard, switch hard” - ActiBlizz, 2021

Well, it’s good that they’re enforcing the division between PvE and PvP gearing. Part of why we saw such a long honor grind to fully gear was because if it were too easy, PvE’ers would feel obligated to participate in content they had no interest in.

With the direction things are headed, systems can be tuned with just us in mind… which is why I’m left scratching my head as to why rating gates are still in place and why nothing was done to manage the power gap between rated and unrated gear. The difference appears to be just as massive as it has been in 9.0 which just degrades the quality of PvP.

1 Like

Did they address anything about how to obtain these or no? I mean, like the rating gate etc

Not explicitly, but the post contained a reference to “Duelist gear” in an example, which implies there will be Challenger gear, Rival gear, etc…

Yall got your wod scaling. Should be happy. :woman_shrugging:

Yeah a true pvp stat would be nice and almost make pvp gear be mandatory for pvp.

1 Like

intradasting…

come on blizzard don’t mess this up I’d really like to play again at some point instead of lurking on forums

3 Likes

I’m pumped for this change. Currently, I have to pick between pvp gear at 213 and pve gear at 226. So when this change goes live I will be able to use all pvp gear :smiley:

You asked for it. PvP gear was king of the game for 1 patch, you unrated ones asked for scaling, here is the PvP gear PvE nerf.

Only problem about it will be Torghast, they must treat Torghast as Warmode and upscale our items.

1 Like

unrated gear is 13-19 ilvls behind to 2.1-2.4… (and the weapon is kinda a big deal for everyone so it’s worse) how is this different than we currently have? ilvl 197 honor and ilvl 200 base conquest vs 215/226+?

blizzard dev’s just can’t get a clue.

3 Likes

If they (Blizz) want to be funny little ****s about what they are doing. We as a community will ask for MoP PvP Gearing next; they have 1 of 2 options at that point. 1.) **** us over outright and plain to see for all; or, 2.) Develop what we are asking for. Equal item level across the board in PvP combat for PvPer’s to participate in whatever PvP content they wish to - A.) Rated PvP, B.) Random Battlegrounds/Skirmishes/Casual PvP all expansion long, C.) World PvP.

They twisted our “style” word, knowing this gearing system still makes them currency from WoW Tokens via boosts.

3 Likes

You’re expecting too much. PvP is a side game in WoW, always has been always will be. It will never be treated as a seperate entity nor should it. For hardcore pvp gamers, there are more appropriate games out there.