Wish me luck!

So I have decided I want to play ww monk in SL…
I am tired of mage, yes it’s very fun class but just tired of it. I need something new and have been researching on what class spec is the least played/worst dps and ww monk is at the very bottom, so I want to take on the challenge and be the very best ww monk in SL anyone has ever seen.

I know there’s only a few ww monks out their, but Is there any tips or advice that you guys can share with me?

1 Like

Don’t equip any weapons. It’s not like we use them anyway other than to clip our cloak and helms. Maybe the lack of stats will hurt at the beginning, but don’t worry, our stats don’t scale well anyway.

That way you could demonstrate a monk who eschews traditional weapons to go at it with their fists and feet only.

Yea, don’t play it. It’s the worst because it’s not only poorly designed, but it’s full of bugs as well. It’s pretty painful to play honestly. I only play it cause I got demoted from a tank roll due to my schedule changing. Decided to go WW rather than catchup my BM hunter. Massive mistake, but we have a backup tank now I guess.

1 Like

I main mistweaver, but I play windwalker for questing and the occasional dungeon.

I won’t speak to performance (especially since my windwalker play is complete garbage), but the design of the spec is a lot of fun. I feel like it could stand with a few fewer keys to bind, but the chi-energy-mastery and rising sun kick + fists of fury into whirling dragon punch systems make the class fun and engaging to play.

1 Like

what do you want to do? Raid, dungeon crawl, pvp?

Raid and dungeons

For raids you want to pay attention to fights and their steps a lot to maximize your burst windows in raid, if you don’t you won’t be able to keep up.
In that same thought process know routes in dungeons and plan your cd usage accordingly.

Also have to plan your rotation a head of time, mostly meaning don’t over blackout kick and then find yourself not able to rsk or fof because they can’t stay off cd too long.

You want to be able to get good at avoiding all avoidable dmg if you can, because we have some of the weakest self sustained in pve.

Those are probably the biggest tips I can give, Peakofserenity can give you a lot of in depth articles as well. There is also the monk discord too

That is so crazy bro, I said the exact same thing yesterday!! Hah! Tired of BM Hunter and decided on WW for the exact same reasons. I am gonna master it!

What server you on?

1 Like

Lol , I’m on a crappy server but plan on moving to another one, probably stormrage

Oh you were actually being serious. My apologies, I thought you were being ironic.

Ok, Maladeth is correct, don’t let blackout kick overuse starve you for chi when you need to hit your RSK or FoF. Also paying attention to what’s happening with the mobs can help you decide when to hold off on certain abilities instead of blinding pressing abilities.

Get your touch of death in early. It accounts for a large chunk of your dps and you want as many of those as possible.

As mentioned before our healing sucks which is where excellent use of Karma (or Good Karma if you choose it) really helps out. It takes practice to figure out the most effective times to use it, but a good starting place is anytime your target is going to release a heavy hit.

WW is not a face roll class, but if you are willing to learn it, can be quite fun and engaging.

If you’re just looking to do raiding and dungeons, I think you won’t have it that bad. Just nail the rotation, and the rest will more or less click as you get more experienced with WW.

Historically, WW has been subject to some rather questionable changes and lack of changes, so you might have to bear with that in SL. After all, WW is still the only class i can think more or less designed around strong AoE to have it’s AoE literally nerfed in half. Along with our big CDs being nerfed as a tradeoff to get higher sustained in the first tier of the expansion, yet we’re bottom dps for Nyalotha.

As for specifics, you’ll want to nail getting ToD windows in terms of effectiveness and efficiency. So fit all the abilities and on uses you can into that 8 second window. Bonus points if you can get full mileage of Karma into that 8 seconds because that makes ToD go pew pew. I’ve seen some ToDs upwards of 700k and close to 800k if i time things properly.

And try not to starve yourself of energy too hard by burning them on BoKs for the CDR. Plan ahead with your energy/chi and FoF/RSK CDs.

1 Like