Wintergrasp: Problems, and potential solutions

DING DING DING, CONGRATULATIONS ON THE 100th WINTERGRASP POST OF THE DAY

Now, in all seriousness, WG is broken. Everyone knows this. The winrate for Offense is ~10%, and I’m not sure of the underlying reason, but Horde has been offense in all but 2 of my games today (Queueing for BGs for 12-ish hours). So naturally, this has dampened my day quite a bit.

Of course, there’s arguments to be made (By Alliance scum, no doubt), about how there’s effective strategies to win, and that people just aren’t doing that - Well, sure, that’s great, but there’s 40 random people in this BG, I’m lucky if I can get 4-5 to listen to “Get more vehicles spawned”, much less what wall to attack, or where to go. Hell, you can’t even get people to wait with vehs and do a zerg rather than go in one by one.

So, rather than relying on the intellectual capability of 40 (39?) random people, and their ability to comprehend basic instructions, I’ve got a list of small proposals that might help alleviate this problem.

The root of the problem lays in the fact that SR and BT spawn in Defender’s possession. Meaning that an SR rush (The optimal strategy) almost always ends in failure, because the Alliance ( I mean defenders ) that rush there do not have to run back to base to spawn vehicles like the offense does. So, within ~1min of engagement, they’re able to start pumping out siege vehicles inside of the ring and wipe the assault. This problem could easily be resolved by having BT and SR starting as neutral/unclaimed areas. It would still give defense an advantage because they’d be first on flag, but it would allow offense a chance to overwhelm, as opposed to how it currently is.

Additionally, there’s the issue of backcapping/stealthcapping by defense during wall pushes. These usually occur on East/West shops, and while an initial reaction of “Well just have defense, dummy”, would make sense in some sense, if someone’s sitting there for 15min they’re probably getting AFK-reported by some idiot running around, and the odds of them getting up to the front and getting into combat are pretty slim.

Why not make East/West uncappable, like the 2 defense shops are?

At present the BG is basically meta’ing around the following: Defense -will- destroy towers, instead of making it a marginally difficult objective, and the winner of the initial SR rush wins the game. That means that the 90% of the time that offense loses the SR rush, it’s a 30min slugfest of just trying to not go afk, because loss is imminent. It isn’t a mentality thing, the moment SR is lost, East shop is lost for several minutes, leaving you to 4 vehicles and no counter to the 20 that offense is pumping out. Followed by the loss of towers, and stealthcapping of shops.

AV is easy - Cap bunkers, burn em down, rush boss.
Ashran is easy - Win teamfight, win ogre, win mage, fight on bridge.
IoC is easy - Cap Docks/Hangar+Workshop, jump inside, bomb and destroy doors, rush boss.

WG has no boss, and is at it’s core, a vehicle fight. I understand that defenders should have some advantage, but when the defense strategy is basically go offense and wipe em out, it doesn’t feel like WG, and it certainly isn’t fun when almost every WG you get into you’re offense.

You’re relying on 40 people to have memorized 2-3 viable strategies, when many of them only queue up a few games a week, and maybe they don’t even get WG every week. It’s a solvable issue, but I’d like to hear feedback.

Questions I have:
Why is Alliance defense in 90+% of games I queue into?
Why do slows not effect demos/engines? This would have a huge impact.
Is anything being done about the abundant presence of chinese-run bots in epic queues again?

Ugh, I’m too tired for this.

Lol who said that an SR rush is the optimal strategy? The Offense teams who always lose?

No dude, you’re supposed to go BT first. (Take it from someone who’s actually won Offense more than once.)

No dude, you don’t need FORTY people to
memorize a viable strategy. You need ONE person (the raid leader) to know a viable strategy, and you need the remaining 39 people to follow that person’s directions like robots lacking free will.

Because SR is the better location to attack from. Cover from RPGGs until much closer to wall, closer distance to wall, etc. Going BT first only works sometimes, and when it does, it’s because defense ****ed up.

Right, you need the raid leader, assigned at random, to know what to do, and 39 people that routinely **** off and do whatever they want anyway, to listen.