Wintergrasp Needs Rebalancing

The current iteration of wintergrasp has 2 massive problems. Number 1 the defense has a much too easy job defeating offense, one reason ties into the fact that their shops inside the keep are not capturable, and thus this always gives them access to a minimum number of vehicles. Defense already has a huge advantage of having the walls, guns, and other things that do massive damage. Gun damage from the keeps should be reduced and vehicle damage taken from players should be reduced or the damage siege vehicles do to walls needs to be increased.

I’m sure you have access to statistics showing a clear advantage to playing defense over offensive victories, and this means your setup is not balanced.

I’m sure other have some other suggestions, but currently this “epic” battle ground ends up in a press of futility from offense while they wait for the counter to run out…

you really only explained 1 problem.

IMO the main problem with WG is that its nearly impossible to comeback from a bad start, i have only ever seen it happen once. you can win as the attacker, even in long games, there are plenty of last minute wins, however the majority of games go like this:

offense wins first teamfight and steamrolls defense winning the game in about 6-8 minutes

defense wins the first teamfight and steamrolls offense, kills all 3 towers, then spends the next 20 minutes circling the map farming offense.

there are plenty of other game types, where D avoids O, or O defends towers, or the initial teamfight is a wash and you have a fairly balanced game, however most fall into those two main categories.

this means that once a team loses the initial teamfight, all morale is broken, and they pretty much know they have lost, resulting in a mass /afk of half the team.

this is all caused by the ranking system, perhaps if the game was based around a limited number of each type of vehicle per captured workshop, or just get rid of rank all together and make it so towers drop 10 minutes off per tower or even let D insta win by killing all 3 towers it might make the game a lot more dynamic where each team needs to split between D and O groups like AV and IoC.

1 Like

Having RPGs spawn inside the WG keep WS, while not having RPGs spawn at BT or SR make it nearly impossible to break through a wall of 12 Demo’s camping a wall opening.
Feel by adding RPG spawns to BT and SR this may help reduce this issue of defense becomes over powered due to spawning tanks inside WG keep

This is the huge problem. The writing is on the wall at the beginning and then you get to either wait out the loss or take deserter, which is terrible design.

I don’t think a component of the game should exist where you have to wait out a long loss or take deserter. And honestly it’s a good example of how bad the current dev team is. Just trying to keep afloat a game that was originally designed by far more capable people.

uh, not really. WG was designed for WotLK while BC was current content, the rank system was in place then as well.

WG wasn’t a BG in Wrath. It was an open world battle for a raid that you could leave and not get deserter.

Turning it into a BG was moronic.

An open world battle that was loved by millions and constantly asked to be made relevant and brought back, yes.

They could have re-added it in a way that doesn’t force people into the dilemma mentioned above 50% of the time. There was zero foresight regarding that. Nor has there been any attempt to mitigate the problem.

Yes I agree that the battleground version needs work. The player:vehicle ratio is off. I also think that if Broken Temple and Sunken Ring began as neutral instead of in the defending team’s control, it would make the first fight more even.

Lol, so attackers have to get through three easily defended walls to win. Defense just has to get three towers that are essentially undefendable? That would be horrible.

if you increase their HP pools as well as get rid of the ranking system altogether then both teams would split between O and D.

towers with actual D do tend to stay up longer, but the reality is that the ranking system currently punishes teams that split. so attacking teams stick together and just leave towers unguarded as it is more important to just let the defending team get out of their way by letting them have the towers.

with ranking gone both teams can safely split and the attacking team can send half its players to D towers.

i would also remove the timer under this model, either the attacker wins by destroying the main gate, or the defender wins by destroying towers.

That direction with some potential tweaks is probably the best model to improve the BG. I like WG, it just requires a little rework to solve the main problem of the initial clash being the game decider. Now if Blizz would read these posts and see the “constructive” criticism’s that are accompanied by people providing potentially viable solutions we might make some progress lol.

-The south towers need more health.
-Adding rpggs to Broken Temple and Sunken Ring would be nice.
-Increase the health on demos and seige engines.
-Reduce the damage to players by demos and sieges by a bit. They basically 2 shot u. Catapults are fine although they could do a bit more siege damage.