Will we see MM resurrected in Castle Nat?

So there have been a few rankings and while they still haven’t done the final “tuning” MM is looking to be the strongest Hunter spec.

In BFA MM has been painfully underrepresented in almost every raid tier but its looking pretty strong with the early Nath Numbers, this along with the rather confusing nerf BM might make MM the go too.

Who is planning on making the jump to MM in SL?

I’ve been MM since Vanilla, does that count? (No Legion doesn’t count against me, I changed classes, but my hunter was always MM)

1 Like

I’ve been MM since SV died. Nowadays though I like the long casts and lower APM. I plan on sticking with MM for Shadowlands. But I don’t play at an elite level.

4 Likes

I’ve been MM since vanilla, including Legion, except for a brief period when poor balance in TBC meant BM or bench for my raiding guild.

Shadowlands numbers are premature though, rankings are inacuratte and haven’t seen real tuning yet, and sims aren’t being widely distributed right now for a reason.

1 Like

Might be jumping to warlock but not sure…tbh I still dont like the feel of mm but its possible I’ll try it out

Waiting to see if it gets a sudden nerf like it got in BFA

Ive been MM since before wow started. Everyone else is just fotm.

• everyone in here.
8 Likes

I’ve played BM since the start and loved it, although I hate managing pets in dungeons and raids. I’ve always had the impression that MM is not a mobile spec, so I’ve largely avoided it. I was pretty much set on giving up my hunter for SL when a friend convinced me to try MM… and I’m sold. It’s so much better than I expected, and it has the flexibility of using a pet or not, plus all the same utility I know and love. Super happy, since I could not decide on a main if I wasn’t going to play the hunter.

2 Likes

I mean, yeah, I’ve mained the same character as the same spec for 15 years. Why do you need to give people a hard time?

1 Like

I wouldn’t start looking at spec balance until around the expansion launch date. We’ve still got over a month of balancing to go before release, and then they’ll have at least a few weeks before raids open up to do even more.

Hipsters gonna hipster. What’s really important is that we all know they are super cool and above it all.

I mean there are two posts which match an unexaggerated form of what they imagined. So they attempted to satirize an imagined trend.

ill be maining Survival as long as the damage is there. If its not, MM for PvE Surv for PvP

so are you going to play MM or BM cause SV has damage about as good as a tank. SV will never be taken seriously as long as things like UH DKs exist and do everything SV does but better.

1 Like

i mean right now Surv Dmg on Beta is legit middle of the pack. not really as bad as you make it sound.

1. bombs not aoe capped. chakrams not aoe capped, death chakram great for aoe and single target.

3 wildfire cluster leggo is pumpin damage on beta.

hitting up to 21k dps so far on packs of like 8-10. This is as Survival. It will be fine in M+. just have to see how tuning goes.

i know you dont like Survival but it has never held me back from doing what i want in pvp or pve so ya…

I honestly don’t know where the narrative got started, but Death Chakram isn’t “great for AoE”. It literally does the exact same damage in AoE as in single target. It’s just a creative meteor effect. Since it deals no extra damage in AoE compared to ST, and AoE abilities do do more (total) damage with additional targets (up to, for most, a cap), Death Chakram is actually weaker, relative to the rest of the kit, in AoE.

Resonating Arrow is the only one of the covenants that scales substantially in AoE right now. Barbed Shot provides 0 AoE for SV and BM, and only improved AoE for MM if Dead Eye is taken. Wild Spirit is simply bugged as hell when it comes to AoE, and also hilariously undertuned.

Also, tuning is still in progress, and this was before the latest round of changes (and hence the results are anything but definitive), but SV and BM were effectively tied for DPS during the Nath testing a few weeks ago (https://www.wowmeta.com/shadowlands/dps-rankings), with both being near-on middle of the chart amongst DPS specs, and about 10% behind MM.

Well everything i pick has pvp in mind. So atleast for me its between Necro and Ven. I was going more that i can press this button (death chakram) in an aoe scenario and its going to hit multiple things.

Or flayed shot which only hits 1 target, and have a chance to not proc a kill shot at all or the mob dies to quick and its a waste. Plus it costs focus just to shoot. Aswell as can be removed by players.

But ya, middle of the pack is where i saw it last on wow meta aswell. Again i do like +15s nothing really higher for weekly box and i have a grp of friends where we heroic raid. So as long as im competitive for mid range M+ and heroic raid i will main Survival

1 Like

BM will be the spec every hunter will play after the heroic gear of tier 2. BM out scales MM now so if MM is only a bit ahead at launch it wont last 2 tiers before it is scaled out.

Doubtful, MM has Master Marksman scaling massively with crit, all the covenant abilities scale well with MM Mastery, and there are no more Azerite or Corruptions to give BM the bonkers crit scaling they have in 8.3.

And I’ll be MM regardless, even if BM wins by a clear margin. I don’t like the fantasy or the gameplay, and at 32 I have no interest in playing something I don’t like to appease tryhard strangers on the internet.

4 Likes

I’m curious where you get this notion that BM scales better. BM has non-linear scaling on crit due to how Wild Call functions, but MM now has even more broken crit scaling via Master Marksman (as Adreaver points out), and MM always scales much better with ranged weapon itemlevel than BM (though tbh, I’m still not entirely sure why this is, since everything is based on effective AP now, but my hunter has has consistently had nearly double the stat weight for weapon DPS for MM compared to BM during BfA).

BM won in BfA mostly because the borrow power systems (and a bit of tuning) favored it, but the borrowed power systems in SL seem to favor MM, if anything (certainly Flayed Shot is way stronger for MM than BM or SV, since it Kill Shot scales with MM’s mastery and we have Dead Eye). And at least for the moment, tuning also heavily favors MM.

because pets now scale. BM also gets a better return from EVERY secondary compared to MM… granted right now that is exagerated due to corruption so it makes it a much farther gap but it is still there.

For example with 0 corruption right now BM gets roughly 8 DPS for any given secondary with more for crit and haste and less for vers and mastery. MM needs corruption to hit those levels.

The more of a secondary that BM gets the stronger it becomes even outside of DoD. DoD just made crit rather strong… however haste still stays strong because of one with the pack when pared with the crit. BM builds off secondaries… they feed each other better than MM does.