Will this get you banned

I would say yes, people in retail get banned for modding their visuals from their side. back in TBC i had a mod that could make you look like any race (no need to pay for a race change) then they started banning people and i quickly deleted it.

1 Like

Thurstan is correct here, in fact there was a thread on “new models” in which I discussed this. In several current private servers for older versions of wow there are optional files players get and can put into their wow folder to use the updated models. Its extremely simple. That is why I honestly think Blizzard should just pull the trigger and make it an option in base Classic. They already have advanced shadows and water as is, there should honestly be an option that is off by default but exists for those who want it.

Its purely client side and effects no one but you, or viewers if you are streaming or such.

What if i want to change the WSG flag to a large beam of light that hit the skybox roof. Then i can see the WSG flag from anywhere on the map.

There are many other examples of this that could be abused which is why blizzard doesnt allow it

2 Likes

I think you misunderstand what I said.

I am not defending the act or even promoting the idea of Blizzard allowing said act of model editing. I am, however, pointing out that its extremely simple to use modern models with the old WoW client and that Blizzard should just add a built in option to switch between modern models and older models, especially since its purely client side.

4 Likes

Nah

1 Like

Yes. This was attempted in vanilla by Druids that wanted different forms.

No…

1 Like

Almost certainly. The reason I say so is a ban-wave that occurred a few months ago was very specifically related to addons that did behind-the-scenes actions to bypass Blizzard’s protections. The only way you’d be putting any model in besides the officially downloaded ones is to bypass those.

EDIT: LOL, and now I see the prior posting of the same link - after hunting for it and getting distracted.

1 Like

That is not possible. Altering appearance is only possible through changing the game files, which Blizzard is adamantly against because other people use the same method to cheat and wall hack.

That’s true for textures. Its not true for the models, especially if Blizzard doesn’t want people seeing weird interactions.

Only because the water and shadows are procedurally generated beyond the Classic version, so there’s no data only code to remove, which they don’t see the point doing.

You’re account will either get suspended or banned.

Blizzard is against fun as usual so no go on it.

As I said it was done with addons in vanilla, didn’t think it was possible now. You could do a lot with addons in Vanilla.

Yeah, because wall hacking PVP is ‘just in good fun’ right?

Blame DBM/BigWigs in Wrath for drawing safe zones on the game board.

1 Like

How is altering their game anti-fun? If you chose to alter their game code, they can and have the ability to take recourse against you. It’s in the TOS and EULA that people choose to accept before downloading and installing the game.

1 Like

It’s only client side. None of that stuff is on the server.

No-one else can see your edits. Unless they were looking over your shoulder.

They can see your edit when you disappear through the terrain, or walk up a wall.

I agree.

Such a thing has no bearing on gameplay or balance. It’s just aesthetics. There’s no reason to not allow it.

1 Like

You know this brings question to mind if it truly does violate the TOS. I mean isn’t classic using a legion client modified to be classic which is why the right click report and multiple other things are in it?

I figure Blizzard just modified the client to replace the existing textures similar to how if you use new models on older clients you just pop a file in and boom WoD models.

So if someone found a way to re-enable them without use of software would it technically be against the TOS because you’re just re-enabling a Blizzard feature not editing it?

They should just take out the advanced shadows and water, imo.

Yes. Don’t do it.

Hmm I saw some people on Pservers where I could see a different character model, No idea what method they used then vs what all of u are thinking of.

Sure there is. Because the activity required to do this, is identical to the activity being used to cheat with wall hacks and other things.

While the RP element may not affect people, it requires direct game modification. And others using that same technique means…

… this is why we can’t have nice things.

3 Likes