Will this get you banned

Well depends on what you mean. If you mean like an Addon that alters only your perception of the game it would be ok, however I am not sure if that is even possible with the current API I know in Vanilla that could be done.

1 Like

Altering the game’s files is usually a bannable offense in MMOs. Wasn’t there a recent ban wave for people who modified their characters’ models?

2 Likes

nudemod.mpq

2 Likes

By any chance do you know where I can see where they warned the player base?

Was there? Didn’t realize they did that, as I said I remember there being addons like that in vanilla but it didn’t alter game files. I know the current API for BFA won’t allow that.

While they reversed the bans at that point, they also made clear that there’s zero tolerance going forward.

3 Likes

Yes, its modifying in game files in a way in which Blizzard frowns upon. About a month ago there was a big ordeal over it recently.

No it does not, its purely client side.

Thurstan is correct here, in fact there was a thread on “new models” in which I discussed this. In several current private servers for older versions of wow there are optional files players get and can put into their wow folder to use the updated models. Its extremely simple. That is why I honestly think Blizzard should just pull the trigger and make it an option in base Classic. They already have advanced shadows and water as is, there should honestly be an option that is off by default but exists for those who want it.

Its purely client side and effects no one but you, or viewers if you are streaming or such.

3 Likes

ouch

Source or just looking for upvotes?

Eloraell posted the link like 3 posts above you…

Yes it is a bannable offense and here is why; While you may have good intentions, others may not. I understand maybe you wanna look like you have legendary items or some other gear/model. But people will end up glitching it and abusing it.

You can change ALL of the models in the game, not just your character.

1 Like

Only if you are a streamer… no one can see your client side edits.

I would say yes, people in retail get banned for modding their visuals from their side. back in TBC i had a mod that could make you look like any race (no need to pay for a race change) then they started banning people and i quickly deleted it.

1 Like

Thurstan is correct here, in fact there was a thread on “new models” in which I discussed this. In several current private servers for older versions of wow there are optional files players get and can put into their wow folder to use the updated models. Its extremely simple. That is why I honestly think Blizzard should just pull the trigger and make it an option in base Classic. They already have advanced shadows and water as is, there should honestly be an option that is off by default but exists for those who want it.

Its purely client side and effects no one but you, or viewers if you are streaming or such.

What if i want to change the WSG flag to a large beam of light that hit the skybox roof. Then i can see the WSG flag from anywhere on the map.

There are many other examples of this that could be abused which is why blizzard doesnt allow it

2 Likes

I think you misunderstand what I said.

I am not defending the act or even promoting the idea of Blizzard allowing said act of model editing. I am, however, pointing out that its extremely simple to use modern models with the old WoW client and that Blizzard should just add a built in option to switch between modern models and older models, especially since its purely client side.

4 Likes

Nah

1 Like

Yes. This was attempted in vanilla by Druids that wanted different forms.

No…

1 Like

Almost certainly. The reason I say so is a ban-wave that occurred a few months ago was very specifically related to addons that did behind-the-scenes actions to bypass Blizzard’s protections. The only way you’d be putting any model in besides the officially downloaded ones is to bypass those.

EDIT: LOL, and now I see the prior posting of the same link - after hunting for it and getting distracted.

1 Like

That is not possible. Altering appearance is only possible through changing the game files, which Blizzard is adamantly against because other people use the same method to cheat and wall hack.

That’s true for textures. Its not true for the models, especially if Blizzard doesn’t want people seeing weird interactions.

Only because the water and shadows are procedurally generated beyond the Classic version, so there’s no data only code to remove, which they don’t see the point doing.

You’re account will either get suspended or banned.