Will the NEW consoles support WoW?

2 Likes

Pretty sure they already said this is not in the cards any time in the future. As it would require far to much reworking of the code base to even make it possible.

2 Likes

The question is how well.

PC’s are able to run anything you throw at them and the best part about them is you can swap the hardware for all not that much money, if you need more performance or graphics or turn down the settings and tweak about every single thing your heart desires.

Consoles on the other hand, you get no such thing. Because whatever you get on the console, you can either accept it or don’t. There isn’t an option to change the graphics to get better performance or tweak the graphics and other things you can on the PC. And when you do, it’s the exception, not the rule. So yes, Consoles will run WoW. It wouldn’t run as well or better then a PC, which that’s the problem.

Controller support is nice and all, but I still don’t understand what disabilities has to do with the reason why they are putting it in. Especially since mouse and keyboard has specially designed ones built for people with disabilities. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

im sure they’d just create setting that make it run smooth, and besides, next gen consoles seem to be pretty powerful, it could definitely run wow with little to no issue

I wonder if they would do it like they do Overwatch where console players play with console players and PC players play with PC players.

They explicitly said that the reason they’re adding in the APIs for controllers in Shadowlands is to make things easier on the communities that develop tools so people with disabilities can play. I’ll see if I can find the exact quote.

Edit: Found it.

As far as hardware goes, sure, but don’t forget that consoles run different OSes than PCs. It’d still take some work to make WoW function well.

4 Likes

I much rather choose my graphic options on the console. Considering the fact they are slowly becoming PC’s, so why not add in those options?

Ehhhhhh… :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I mean, isn’t this the same thing we heard for the Xbox 1 and so on?

Doesn’t the Xbox 1 (and X1X as well) run Halo: The Master Chief Collection (a 10 year old game mind you) has framerate issues? Also on the Sony side, if the PS4 and PS4 Pro is very powerful, why does it run Bully, a Ps2 game mind you, at a terrible framerate? (And before you tell me the consoles are emulating these games, the PC does it way better with widescreen and framerate hacks and so on.)

Didn’t we also heard of the news of the new Assassin’s Creed being 30fps on the xbox, and that new unreal engine 5 demo running at 30fps on the Ps5? (and then later run at a better FPS on a laptop?)

I’m pretty sure they gave a no

Back when we were wondering about the incoming controller support

Controllers are easier for some people with arthritis. And there have been newer peripherals developed as well:

3 Likes

i think those older games on mcc were known to be buggy, and for some reason 343s still slackin and never fixed the glitches, and bully sounds like it could just be an optimization issue from the emulation, who knows with these old games, even on psnow older games kinda chug even though it didn’t as much on the previous generations

for the new series x, i think they prioritized graphical goodness instead of creating a decent frame rate, they have 4K but still chug, which i don’t get, i think a smooth gameplay feels better than a good looking one. at the very least it will be running at a minimum of 30 FPS, but who knows if that’ll change or not

one thing i do know is, if a potato could run wow at a consistent 40 FPS, im sure if wow was given a new os like karat said, it would be pretty smooth

Ever try to play the game with one hand? How about with Parkinson’s or any other motor function disease? Tends to be really hard to do with a mouse and keyboard while there are specially designed controllers on the markets that allow players to essentially play with one hand or with these diseases. That is why.

Edit: Thanks Soulebreaker for the link to prove my point.

1 Like

I look forward to seeing and trying shadowlands xbox adaptive controller support.
I plan on getting one soon this fall with 3d Rudder to test different ways to play WoW

Can the new consoles run WoW? Probably. Again.

Will the new consoles run WoW? Probably not. Again.

Xbox is basically just a fixed-spec Windows PC in a compact Microsoft-branded box at this point, so porting WoW to Xbox probably wouldn’t pose too much of a challenge. Same is true in terms of hardware for PS5, but Playstations run a custom BSD-based operating system which makes porting a more involved endeavor.

Another point of interest is that based on findings in the Shadowlands alpha, WoW will run on the upcoming Apple Silicon Macs. This would make it possible to port WoW to iPads (which now support keyboards and mice) for a very low engineering cost… with iPad Pro’s performing as well as low-mid-tier x86 laptops (and likely being capable of running WoW playably) I wonder if Blizz would consider porting WoW to iOS.

I don’t know much about Halo, but i can wager their’s fixes for it on the PC and so on, by fans. And i’m also going to hazard to guess that you can create your own servers with it’s own ruleset and so on, since it’s an older game. My guess anyways.

Well that, and that also trails back to the original PS2 game which to be fair, performance wise on there was Dreadful. It was a good game, But i just can’t stand the sub 20fps this game goes into for most of the time. Not to mention the occasional crash here and there, as well a bunch of other bugs/glitches since the game had a ton of shifts here and there in the dev along with a lot of beta leftovers. But i digress.

In terms of performance, the PS4 is a step up from the PS2 in terms of framerates, gone are the days where it’s sub 20 fps for 90% of the game, now it’s a 30 or such. Which isn’t better, but the lesser of two evils. But the Ps4 is a step down from Xbox 360’s Scholarship edition, which can reach to 60 sometimes. (Though the PC still crushes all of them)

In terms of emulation, the PC can emulate the Ps2 version of Bully much better. With framerate and other hacks to make it run smooth.

Which doesn’t make the gameplay better. You can have pretty graphics, but it’s not gonna matter if the console can’t handle it. Again, something that cements my position that consoles need to have graphic options like we do on the PC.

Exactly! :smiley:

Ehh, honestly 60 fps should be the minimum instead of 30fps.

Let’s also not forget that a Potato PC has the potential to upgrade. So even if everybody in the world is running potatoes for the most part for WoW, they still have the potential to turn that potato into a low or mid tiered PC at best for all not that much money sometimes.

Something to keep in mind, though, is that the number of users who take advantage of upgradability in PCs is tiny. It’s mainly just PC building/gaming enthusiasts and a handful of moderately technical stragglers. Everybody else just buys a new PC when their old one starts chugging.

2 Likes

speaking of upgrades, im definitely gonna pick up the ps5, but man it would suck if i get it then they come out with a ps5 pro like they always do, im debating on waiting

but man demons souls remake looks so good

Wasn’t the main selling point of the PS4 Pro 4k and HDR support? I don’t see anything like either in the pipeline for this gen. The standard will probably sit at 4k HDR for at least the next 5-8 years.

i hope, my wallet can’t take buying two ps5s, especially if they wont let you trade one in

or worse, they do and it’s only for like 30 bucks

Don’t be absurd Fluffy. There’s no way you’re getting that much for a trade in.

2 Likes