Will T2 / Thunderfury drop in MC before BWL?

Just as the items that replaced them on the loot tables in 1.4 and 1.5 are recognized as MC gear by everyone.

2 Likes

Those questlines were intentionally gated that way. Thunderfury was not intentionally gated in that you could only do so much of the quest before the chain stopped and then you had to wait for Blizzard to release more content.

When it was added to the game, there was no “Oh, you got the bindings, now you have to wait for us to add the next quest in the next patch. Got the elementium now? Good, wait for AQ40. Got our new arbitrary quest done? Great, as soon as you clear Naxx, you can have your legendary weapon.”

My guess is that the original T2 (placeholders) that was in MC won’t be in the game and the T2 we eventually got will be in BWL (besides helm and legs) as it was in Vanilla 1.12
edited to specify 1.12

Those questlines were intentionally gated that way. Thunderfury was not intentionally gated in that you could only do so much of the quest before the chain stopped and then you had to wait for Blizzard to release more content.

Yes I understand that.

Ultimately the idea of Patches releasing catchup gear is to reduce the amount of time we have to spend in MC.

Bindings are not catchup gear, but delaying their drop till BWL is the opposite of reducing the amount of time we have to spend in MC. Having Bindings drop before BWL would be no more than a small QoL change allowing us to start attempting at the 1 rare BIS item that drops in MC , while we are actually raiding in MC, rather than being arbitrarily forced to wait 6 months to start praying for drops would be nice.

Knowing Thunderfury is coming, clearing the raid it drops in hopelessly for months, and then having to return after waiting till BWL patch for Bindings to drop is the real “stuck on a quest with no possible way to advance” IMO. No one knew about Thunderfury before this point in Vanilla so it didn’t matter, but this isn’t 2004.

But if as you say, only 2 people are going to have both bindings by the time BWL drops, then it doesn’t really make a difference for the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of classic players, as most are still going to be forced to raid MC anyway.

It may not be considered as catch-up gear, but the 2nd category is

if you want to stuck up on that

1 Like

But if as you say, only 2 people are going to have both bindings by the time BWL drops, then it doesn’t really make a difference for the vast, vast, vast, vast majority of classic players, as most are still going to be forced to raid MC anyway.

You will honestly likely still be doing MC through all of BWL progression even if you had both bindings when BWL dropped, thats just the nature of gearing 40 players.

But I would rather have a ~6 month headstart with the chance at even 1 binding than a hard 0. Because that’s 6 months of attempts that means if you’re lucky you won’t have to still be running MC for that second binding in late AQ40 and Naxx progression when the last thing anyone wants to be doing is running MC.

And the plain fact of the matter is even in 6 months, the majority of guilds will have 0 bindings. It doesn’t make sense to add something to the game that gives a quest that you can’t complete because the content is not available yet. That’s not how things were done in Vanilla, that’s not how it should be done in Classic. If that means that you have to wait 6+ months for a chance at your bindings, well so does everyone else.

And the plain fact of the matter is even in 6 months, the majority of guilds will have 0 bindings.

Yup, which is why my opinion is a change like this would ultimately not be a big deal, but just knowing a binding could drop would sure be nice.

It doesn’t make sense to add something to the game that gives a quest that you can’t complete because the content is not available yet.

Playing Devils advocate here because I understand what you’re saying, but the Bindings don’t actually give you the quest to begin with. So that point is semi moot. When a binding drops it is just an orange item with no other use. You had to take that item to the quest giver to start the quest. And in the age before WoWhead, I’m sure there were more than a few people wandering around with a ‘dead end’ Orange item in their bags not knowing where to go with it. But that was half the mystery and allure of vanilla.

Correction on that: having one binding makes you able to loot a Vessel of Rebirth on Ragnaros a quest item which tells you which NPC to look for.

3 Likes

You are correct! Completely forgot about that. I think the point stands though, that just having the Binding itself didn’t immediately make it clear what you had to do.

People like this don’t get bindings.

7% drop rate, 24 weeks, You have to be LUCKY to get both in that time frame.

1 Like

I was extremely lucky to get both bindings in one run.
And then another binding on my alt in the run right after.
Not that it’s relevant, but maybe I want to make someone jealous.

You see, the problem here, is your opinion.
TF is BiS, why should you be given an additional 6-month head-start on an item THAT WILL NOT BE REPLACED EVEN IN NAXX?
This 1) helps trivialize content that was not designed to be difficult,
2) makes older content dated

The whole point of adding it in a later phase makes MC an important raid again. This can have positive effects on the community, or just your guild, as anyone who already outgears MC can take their ALT.

You’re looking at WoW raids as a casual date.
You’re meant to go back to these months later and appreciate them, and take all the dang loot.

You see, the problem here, is your opinion.

It is my opinion. I never said it was correct. I said:

Would love to hear other peoples thoughts/opinions on this.

I love that people dont want to add the bindings earlier because if someone got both bindings they could just log and wait till BWL.

When this shows that 90+% of MC gear is not worth getting so if you dont have the bindings then entire raid teams would take breaks from running MC till BWL drops cause in that same senario there is no insensitive for anyone to run MC rather than at least clearing up to geddon each week for the chance your tanks stop having to worry about a poorly designed mechanic.

1 Like

[Citation Needed]

I know that the T2 helm and legs dropped in the Tier 1 raids, but I haven’t heard or seen anything about other T2 dropping in MC. Where were they changed?

This would be accurate to the path they’ve presented.

Too bad your account will get silenced due to right click report when you post this in trade chat when classic releases.

One of the few benefits of RCR…

1 Like

Yeah, because let’s not allow any light hearted fun in Classic whatsoever. That would offend the new world order.

2 Likes

I cant include a link here, but google ‘Tier 2 dropping in MC’ and look at the wowpedia link.

The tier 2 eight-piece epic armor set drops primarily from bosses in Blackwing Lair. Early in the game, the set items dropped in Molten Core alongside Tier 1, but were removed in Patch 1.4. Tier 2 was readded in Patch 1.6 with the addition of Blackwing Lair. The tier 2 sets all had placeholder models, which were updated in Patch 1.9.