Why WOD style gearing would be terrible for the PVP community

That would be the best solution so it is still rewarding to arena players. But casuals can farm a conquest set in their casual pvp modes and not be roflstomped by people who participate in rated and raiding.

As soon as the ladders started to go sideways way worse than normal and rbgs started to become “popular” content (easiest path to 220+ atm) i knew blizzard would somehow either nerf the rbg cheese or do something like this tbh.

I personally liked it more due to the fact when gear is homogenized or “letting gear be gear” people will on average persue the path of least resistance and after acquiring fear go back to what they want (like pvpers pretty much forced to mythic plus in bfa and then go back to arena). There is a reason why there was like no rbg listings at times in bfa but now there are several in sl and it’s not because everybody suddenly thinks rbgs are fun.

This was my main reason for loving the WoD gearing system. Leaving the system as it is and simply slapping “pvp ilevel and pve ilevel” rules on it misses one of the main factors that made WoD gearing so good.

I already carry three sets of gear for my Paladin. Making that six sets for PVP doesn’t sound fun. In WoD, I got my PVP gear in a couple days, and I was “good enough” for any content I did.

1 Like

But see… the problem is the PvE gearing system is awful. So Blizzard should try to improve the PvE gearing system instead of dismantling the really enjoyable PvP gearing system.

If they went back to WoD style gearing I might start playing retail again.

PvP=/=PvE and I am a strong advocate for Resilience as a PvP stat.
If you want to be godlike in PvP, then you must do PvP.
If you want to be godlike in PvE, then you must do PvE.

In BFA, to do PvP you had to do PvE.
In SL, to do PvE you have to do PvP. (more or less)

Bring back a PvP-only stat and it will solve all issues.

That’s good. It would allow pvp to pvp on alts again! If the rated stuff gave more pve level and capped at the same pvp ilvl as casuals would get that would be best for casual bgs. As is already, starting the season gives you the best advantage without the ilvl and then it gets snowbally for newer players that join the season late.

I say good. Let players partake in the game how they want to instead of feeling forced or compelled to go to the other side because it has a better gearing system. You can also put in WoD scaling but keep the upgrading system for players who are primarily PvPers but want to possibly dabble in PvE.

They also just need to fix PvE gearing and make it less of a slogfest. What they’re trying to do is a broken down, busted version of Classics PvE gearing system. Only problem is the items you’re getting don’t have the same weight as they do in Classic.

Just for perpective:

Early on in Wrath, a player decked out in all dungeon heroic gear was at 200 ilevel. A player who was doing all the raid content for that first patch was at 226 ilevel, with a mix of 232 ilevel items from KT and Eye of Eternity. Roughly a 25-30 ilevel difference. This gap continued through the patches, and (I want to say) into Cata, where basic-geared player was ~30 ilevels behind a cutting edge player.

Just pointing out that a similar ilevel gap in the past was largely seen as acceptable. After the various squishes, I don’t know if the numbers are still comparable.

Most of the people who are against wod gearing and vocal about it know very little about it.

It’s a small minority who are finding the PvP gearing system to be “really enjoyable”, and a lot of them because they want to stomp undergeared players in bgs for reasons. That’s really not good for the game, and that’s why participation is way down.

Participation is actually way up.

This is just bizarre. You seem to have no concept of what happens in PvP instances. If non-PvP geared players are in there, they are earning honor to buy gear because it’s what they wanted. Or are you blathering about PvP realms, where people who did only PvE never went out into the world because they chose not to?

Asking for wod gearing is not “selfish” at all. PvP participation is flooring right now, and you’re pretending somehow this trend will reverse itself in order to get you and your PvE buddies guaranteed easy wins, just like your special accommodations that are destroying PvP right now.

Git gud if you want to turn on warmode. Pretending to support “casual PvEers” when it’s all about you and your constant ganking and PvP-free wins is lame and transparent.

You’re not taking a stand for the little guy. You are crushing him.

There should not be two kinds of gear. Gear should be gear. This is the first expansion in a while where that was almost actually the case. If a mostly-pvp player wants to do a raid occasionally they should be able to join. Likewise if a mostly-raider would like to try some PvP for a change they should be able to just do it .

I agree with you.

But the problem is that the proposed system will still be inferior to pvp. Specifically because you have to have your item DROP in M+, and THEN you can use your points to upgrade it.

A keyed dungeon gives you 2 pieces of loot, an unkeyed gives you 1. So all-told you’ve got something like a sub 5% chance of seeing the specific item you want out of any particular dungeon clear. And that’s further compounded by keys being randomized (which they need to be to preserve the system).

Which is just… inferior… compared to pvp, where you can pick and choose what you want to buy. Why would I pound my skull endlessly against M+ SoA when I can just pvp and buy the Verse Haste legs there?

If I remember correctly WoD pve gear destroyed pvp gear in wpvp very easily. Gladiators were dying due to the power scaling issues

It would solve the problem of getting rid of pve players from the pvp environment but once again pvp players have become third rated :rofl:

I’m not saying that the system Blizzard wants to implement is going to fix anything. If anything I’d suggest implementing a system for PvE that is similar to what PvP has.

You PvE dungeons and raids to get some kind of currency similar to honor. You kill raid bosses to get some kind of currency similar to conquest. You can spend honor to buy and upgrade a lower item level set and then you can spend conquest to buy like a higher item level PvE set which can also include things like trinkets, rings, neck, and weapons.

Then you can upgrade your armor set bought with the PvE Conquest with the PvE Honor points as you progress further through whatever PvE content seems fit.

You would also have to remove any random drops from raids to balance out the loot so you would only get loot via weekly box and spending points at the vendor.

You can even make it so you need to spend actual conquest points to buy this stuff and gain conquest points from killing raid bosses so that players have to choose between buying a PvP set or a PvE set so people won’t feel obligated to experience both sides of the game if you really want to divorce the PvP and PvE sides.

Good, that’s how it should be. Don’t ruin what worked.

It was. And that’s fine.

Not that I’ve heard.

The game has lots of different activities for lots of different people who like different things. No one should feel like they have to do something they dislike just to work towards something else entirely different.

1 Like

Warlords had probably the closest thing to a perfect PvP gearing system that this game has ever had. Instead of tweaking things here and there to improve on what was there, the clowns scrapped it.

Wrong
Heroic raiders required new people to at minimum have conquest gear to start raiding. It was far from useless and easy to get.

Wrong.
Rated PvP was the only thing to survive the many many issues of wod. First time of no flying, the giant prune and content droughts like no tomorrow yet the final and deadest arena season of wod had more participation than legion.

Wrong.
It’s against the nature of a few lame people that aren’t about competition. For me it was excellent. With that being said mop and wod had excellent participation when skill>gear. Would you look at that. Also the participation was excellent compared to legion. The fact that you’re comparing it legion shows your lack of knowledge. Participation was great in wod and it was nothing at all like legion templates.

Tldr is you listed a lot of absolutely excellent positives without any true negatives.

Holinkas tweets still exist. He expressed how random BG’s 2s/3s were as popular as their PvE counterparts.

You don’t know jack. Wod was the last time I had an actual PvP guild. You know when there were actual pvpers lol… Mop and wod were the only two expansions I played as a pvper from start to finish. I’m on two seperate PvP discords that somehow survived the joke that was BFA but are dead now.

The only people that like the current system are BFA babies who know nothing better (because yes this is better than BFA) or boosters.