Why were in-game GMs removed?

Haha yup, those are the posts I’ve seen. They offered a good chuckle.

But when you word it “Blizzard Customer Service cosplay,” :nauseated_face:

They laid off 800 support representative in 2016. With pay, any possible benefits, taxes, unemployment insurance, etc… It was probably millions per year. Even if the company is making millions, they are a US company and their primary goal is to make money for investors, not provide jobs.

6 Likes

Bobby Kotick needed another yacht so he laid off another 800 workers.

That’s why there’s no GM’s in the game.

11 Likes

I remember reading something from an ex-GM where there was a lot of pressure to be cool, interactive and fun with the players. Everyone expected their GM to end up being the one summoning raid boss chickens on them, etc, and I think if I remember correctly they said it created a pretty competitive/unpleasant area when everyone wanted to be that GM.

1 Like

I also don’t really think customer service is really as important as it once was given the abundance of ways one can help themselves on pretty much any topic. If you have an issue, odds are theres a thousand other people who have had it recently and got an answer on a forum or reddit, or its in the frequently asked questions page already. Its not like the old days where if your computer stopped working the only things you could do was call a number or ask the computer guy in your family to help fix it.

Most corporations have always thought that customer service is not important. It is always the first thing cut as it is seen as an expense with little benefit.

Though, peer-to-peer support is great. As well as being able to find manuals and videos to fix almost any product.

i can’t really say i blame corporations for that. Customer support often seems to be nothing more than being a verbal punching bag for most people who call in.

2 Likes

How many players per GM? One GM per thousand players? We’re not talking one GM for 1,000,000 players on many realms here. Having a lot of employees around the clock looking to see if they happen to run into anything actionable would really add up.

4 Likes

Certainly. The bean-counters’ inability to quantify Good Will is likely the reason for many of the game’s unpopular developments.

Garmuck’s back…back again…

2 Likes

It used to be that way on EverQuest. When I first started playing EQ, the first thing I ever won a roll on was called a Gigantic Zweihander, a nice sword that sold very well, but someone in the pug I was in ninjad it and back then there was no text that showed who looted what, so I filled out a ticket.

I was so mad, I was poor and selling that would have meant I would finally have some spending money.

I got a PM from [POVARgm)[hisnamehere) who asked if I was busy, I said no and the world faded away to black and big letters on screen said “YOU HAVE BEEN SUMMONED BY THE GODS” and then I was on a floating island and the GM was standing in front of me. He was nice but explained there was nothing he could do because the system wasn’t set up in a way that loot could be tracked like that. I sent in a suggestion that it would be nice for text in the chat window to show who loots what in groups

A year later when that same GM officiated at my wedding, the “who loots what” text feature had been added months ago for groups, I bet lots of others had same suggestion. (People had in-game marriages all the time on EQ, a GM would say a few words and change the brides last name to match the grooms.)

I never forget my first time being ninjad.

7 Likes

My guess is over the years that the subscription numbers went down, the number of GMs went down too. It’d be a dream job to be a GM working from home seeing how I live over a thousand miles away from California.

I live 109 miles away from Blizz HQ, but that’s a long drive back and forth. I doubt they would hire me anyway with no degree.

As a culture we had become far too accepting of people spouting complete nonsense.

Some weird guy popping off fantasy ‘factiods’ they know not to be true. Perhaps, ahem, he is thinking of private knockoff WoW servers?

Why? To start a spirited debate? To an extent that can be forgiven. Except, none of the ‘facts’ he offered up are remotely true so there is no sound basis for discussion. He also is well aware that none of his uh…‘suggestions’ will ever be implemented.

I’ve no problem with constructive criticism, it’s clear that blizzard-act has well deserved it’s fair share. On the other hand, impersonating a dwarf for image cred while spreading disorder and angst to intentionally slander blizzard is petty. Perhaps he could show us on the metaphorical doll where blizzard violated him personally.

…$$$…

I don’t think he is humanbeak. Humanbeak was pretty amusing and witty for the most part. Sometimes he either got drunk/high or was in a mood and his trolling a bit too direct.

1 Like

There was a GM who showed up to help kick off a RP event last week. And while they were being thanked for helping out and such a lot of players were spamming changes they want to the game (mostly cosmetics).

5 Likes

To cut cost on payroll. Always follow the money

I believe there are GMs in game playing. I think some regular forum posters are definitely GMs in disguise.

Most likely, these GMs in game are just playing like any casual players but they’re monitoring and reading the reports.

I have wondered if players with an “x” at the end of their name is a symbol of GM code.

1 Like

These days business are trending to wanting people with less education for low-level and/or entry-level jobs. You only need a college education for more technical or skilled jobs - but for things like customer service they really hate you having a degree. Educated people can fight back when managers start abusing them and cutting their pay.

1 Like