Why wasn't the Arlaeus / corrupt GM story a bigger deal?

A popular wow streamer had a Blizzard employee do their dirty work for him. Why wasn’t Blizz more transparent on how this happened? Why do so few people care as well? I’ve been playing WoW since vanilla and I would never believe a Blizz employee could act that way.

4 Likes

You’re just naive. This kind of corruption happens all the time in the world.

3 Likes

because Blizzard is beyond reproach and this kind of action NEVER happens they are the paragon of virtue among the gaming community

their integrity is unquestionable just look at the way theyve handled negative issues in the past whenever something brought suspicion to their companies reputation

after all look at the professional manner in which theyre “handling” the collusion accusations being thrown around theyve once again hidden behind the famous wall of silence and pretend all is fine

I mean, they kind of handled it pretty well, didn’t they?

16 Likes

There was a 600 post thread about it on the forums and a huge reddit post. It was a big deal. It was quickly remedied though, less than a day I think.

What exactly did you anticipate to hear? An employee made a mistake, it happens in all lines of work. Mistakes happen.

You played since vanilla, do you not remember Tseric? Even disney world employees make mistakes. Remember that at the end of the day, all Blizz employees are human. As awesome as they are, they still make mistakes.

2 Likes

apples to oranges see he was goaded by a troll until he lost his cool the other guy let a streamer influence and undermine his professionalism and abuse his GM powers based solely on the fact it was a streamer

after all GMs are not supposed to get that personally involved with the players their job is to watch and observe for any misbehavior then take action in the background alas this GM did more than that he openly allowed a streamer to dictate who is and isnt allowed to play

two totally different scenarios

The player was unbanned, and the streamer hasn’t been active in like 2 weeks, probably due to shame, and they will likely never recover. Don’t know what more you could want.

The best part is this confirms dispelling world buffs on a PVP server is not griefing, so people can stop making threads about it.

5 Likes

How is this different then what players are doing to get the mount by colluding with the other faction. Arlaeus colluded with the corrupt GM and there are a few guilds on my server and others that are colluding to cheat the community base right now.

yeah this time the mistake was caught in time and things set right however the damage has been done and Blizzards rep has gotten another black eye for it and its going to take more than a simple oopsie doopsie we dun goofed “apology” this time

how about an official Blue statement outlining their plans to ensure this kind of manipulation will not occur again?

It’s a video game. A gm suspended a player for a few months in a video game (the banned player could have just been repealed anyway).

Why do you people need a community address on everything? The player was unbanned, and I’m sure the GM will never do it again, if they still have a job.

You cannot predict how people will behave, what internal rules they might break. All you can do is correct mistakes after they are made and reprimand the offending party. You cannot control human behavior, its up to the humans themselves to control their behavior, and the humans that participate in bad behavior, must be addressed. But until someone breaks the rules, there is nothing to address.

1 Like

Short answer: By and large the majority of players simply don’t care. It boils down to: play dumb games, win dumb prizes.

you notice theres a lack of response from Blizzard on that matter completely and it makes you wonder why oh thats right its easier to sweep it under the rug and say its all player driven and beyond the companies control

just a cop out to keep from acknowledging there is indeed a problem here and they would prefer to stay silent and act like nothing is wrong

They don’t need to have a “plan to ensure” anything. They certainly don’t have to give YOU a plan.

Are you kidding me? No company is ever going to publicly flog their employees.

You sweet, naive little child. If you really thought that, then you should never, ever, go near, well, anyone. Ever.

But I think things were pretty clear. Streamer got an employee to ban someone for him. When people reported that, Blizzard reversed the ban and got rid of the employee. What, do you want them to take the employee out front and lynch him from the Warcraft statue?

3 Likes

Issue was solved quickly and effectively. They handled it well.

You’re going to find corrupt/bad employees anywhere you go, Tseric and Candiem were questionable in Vanilla.

There was also a few CMs and mods on the D3 forums that were perma banning people calling out bugs or mocking the fanboi accounts when their gear and time played never progressed even though they said they played all the time.

I wish this level of action Blizzard did with the streamer situation was how most companies handled these kinds of situations.

1 Like

I’d bet money that they fired the employee.

1 Like

If they did, without a public display, then it seems like not only a harsh, but a useless punishment (though, I’m not sure how much the investigation may have unearthed).

People make mistakes, and that’s OK. Systems are not flawless, either. Being harsh on others isn’t always best practices.

Just because they didn’t haul him out in public and hang him from the Warcraft statue does not mean it is a useless punishment. You can bet that, internally, people know the full scope of the punishment, and why it happened.

Companies rarely talk about punishments handed down internally to the public. The only time someone’s punishment becomes public is if the police start getting involved.

1 Like