Why was Resilience removed?

Basically pve people were sad they couldn’t just get the best gear and 1 shot people in BG’s or just troll arenas and get glad. Pve still has the upper hand. Cause weapons trinkets and some rings were the best even in PvP. Got glad in BC cause I stacked haste on my hpal which made my holy lights insta cast. Lots of cheese and fun builds back then.

7 Likes

Seems kinda whack imo, i’d love resilience back or to make pvp gear>pve gear in pvp, even if it means 2 sets…how is it any bloody different than what we have now? you need 2 sets of gear corruption wise on some or half the classes anyway, if i want to pve i need all haste if i want to pvp i need all versatility…i genuinely don’t get it.

8 Likes

I found this post explaining things:

Currently, in Mists, level 90 characters have a relatively high amount of base health, and a relatively low amount of base damage or healing on their abilities. As a result, your health from Stamina doesn’t increase as quickly as your damage or healing from Attack or Spell Power. To use some made up numbers for perspective, your gear might account for 80-90% of your damage, but only 40-50% of your health. That’s why, as the quality of your gear increases by hundreds of item levels over the course of an expansion, we see such a high swing in damage output compared to health pools.

For Warlords, we’re simplifying that by making health and spell effectiveness scale a lot more linearly. Base health is being lowered dramatically (and the effectiveness of Stamina increased) to the point that as damage or healing goes up, health pools go up alongside them. That lets us ensure that PvP gameplay at low gear vs high gear feels relatively similar.

On top of that, we’re increasing health pools in general – they’ll be much larger in comparison to the damage players are able to deal to each other than they are today. Resilience and Battle Fatigue were added because without them, an attack or heal would account for massive chunks of a player’s health bar. With higher health, that same spell doesn’t have as big of an impact.

2 Likes

Yep, and when the gear for one activity is good only for that activity, it puts a real damper on things. I earn gear to be better at the game as a whole, not just to beat up bosses or to PvP.

That said I’m not against specialized gear if it’s accessible. So for example if only 3-4 armor pieces can have resilience (let’s say the current slots eligible for Azerite) it would be much more reasonable to maintain a half-competent PvP set.

It makes pvp completely unapproachable for casual play. If they only way to compete in pvp is to be a punching bag for weeks on end until you get gear, a lot of people just won’t pvp.

2 Likes

It’s the same thing now though, except you can’t fix the issue by PvPing, you have to PvE. That’s much worse, not better.

By the way, the bottom of the ladder was filled out much more when PvP stats existed. Because casuals actually did arena because the gear rewards were good.

19 Likes

Personally I think they should remove gear from organized pvp (not open world pvp, just arenas, battlegrounds, e.t.c) entirely. Each class/spec should have pre balanced stats that should never change. That’s the only way for blizzard to ensure pvp stays balanced and fun for all players regardless of what changes outside of pvp settings.

1 Like

But it’s a one way street if your “PvP gear” isn’t good enough for any activity, including PvP.

5 Likes

Remember this is Blizzard we’re talking about… And pre balanced stats were a thing in Legion that wasn’t welcomed with open arms either.

If they’d just go back to what worked from TBC - WoD it would fix PvP and the whole gearing situation people have currently. (We are getting vendors back in Shadowlands though so we’ll see how that plays out.)

1 Like

That’s because some of them were balanced and some were whacked. There would have been far fewer complaints if they had made an honest attempt to balance them.

2 Likes

But they didn’t hence why I said remember this is Blizzard we’re talking about.

1 Like

They do seem to have a tendency to walk away from a project half-completed and call it good.

2 Likes

They actually did do frequent tuning (sometimes weekly) on templates and almost every spec was r1 viable at the end of Legion. But customizable templates would have still been better. I mean, vendor gear was pretty much templates anyway considering in MoP and WoD everyone had the same gear (with minor stat differences from offpieces) after a while.

They really need to just add WoD style scaling and call it a day. Make the gear mediocre in PvE, I don’t think PvPers will care as long as it is better than any PvE gear in PvP They’d also need to actively nerf PvE trinkets and procs again, but they did that easily in WoD so I don’t see why they couldn’t do it again.

5 Likes

I’d imagine the answer is somewhere between development teams’ hubris, vanity, and whatever else motivates them to re-invent the wheel and fix what isn’t broken every 2 years

7 Likes

Earning gear from one activity that is better than the other activity is pretty bad too.

I know Blizzard wants to see everybody participate in all portions of the game, but the players aren’t wired that way, and there is no reason to force them to play that way - especially when they put roadblocks on one form of play with the new buzzword “Meaningful Choices.”

There was nothing wrong with the resilience system.

7 Likes

Except PvP gear goes all the way to 475 just like mythic+.

Blizzard just has the rating requirements too high.

Imagine how PvPers feel in BFA.

Yikes.

8 Likes

PvE’ers were mad they couldn’t just keep destroying in PvP with thier PvE gear.

10 Likes

That’s spot on!

I don’t understand what the issue is with having two sets of gear

I think it’s the only real way to balance PvP, and it’s not really a big deal

9 Likes