Why the rush to eliminate layering?

Yeah it can be really rough to farm in the world. Every nook and cranny seems jam-packed all the time. I was trying to fish the water essences for my Hide of the Wild and the last time I was out there, there were at least 6 other people doing the circuit. Didn’t find a single pool.

Mankrik is still a great server and I’ve been enjoying being part of the community. Sometimes I just get the impression that there are a bit more people in the world than the world was designed to hold.

umm that cenus addon needs a few more months of consistent data points for sure I use ironforge.pro backed up by AH transactions (need 2 accounts) hk totals, and ratios

It doesn’t need a few more months to tell me the concurrent online player count, which is what I was talking about.

it depends on people using it. A lot of people stopped using it to upload.

Blizz also smacked the API around to prevent the LFG addon and the collateral damage was that addon.

Are you completely ignoring what I’m saying? I’m using it as a means to accurately determine how many players are logged on a server, concurrently.

I used it on Herod (the most popular server) at 5:00 P.M. yesterday. There were 2,300 Horde players online, and as Herod is a Horde dominant server, you can assume that the Alliance count would be far lower.

This puts a wrench in the claim that people are making, that there’s 10k+ players online servers now that layers are gone.

1 Like

Im not trying to be difficult at all. I love you are trying to get data.

The addons numbers aren’t accurate. The addon still relies on consistent uploading through the app. Less people are doing so.

How do you reconcile: Horde Census for Westfall

With your result?

Did the populations plummet that bad since September? Herod has routinely been 3x more populated than Westfall…so what gives?

Even doing the /who parses appear to be gated. Blizz is protecting this info and always has.

I’ll run hand parses on Atiesh (pretty decent size for PvE) later, and compare to census.

I agree vanilla caps were confirmed by Kern to be around 3500-4000 and they were dynamic back then.

Just because a cap is 3500, doesn’t mean 3,500 are online concurrently anymore than if caps are 10,000 that the number of people playing concurrently are 10k.

Saying 2k is less than 3.5k vanilla cap, (and therefore no server cap bump) doesn’t mean anything. To be fair, even if there was a bump in capacity, relative densities are what is important.

1 Like

You’re not understanding.

The addon tracks the number of currently online players. If you run it consecutively over a long period of time, you can get a fairly accurate sense of the total active playerbase on a server.

I’m using the addon and purging the data. Do you understand? I’m gathering the number of concurrent online players on Herod and then purging the data so it’s a fresh count every time.

It’s 99% accurate, accounting for the players that log in or out while the data is being gathered over a 26 minute period. I don’t know how I can make this any clearer.

And I’m telling you it’s still broken. Within that 26minute period. I want tot est it myself but the complaints Ive seen in my economy forums are all complaining about it and I’ve seen some weird data from that app since they blew it up. Even /whos dont make sense. One guy did a who parse and couldnt see his ALT…

If you are on a crusade to deny higher server densities, all the power to you.

No it isn’t.

You can do the exact same thing the addon does by typing out the exact ManualWho commands that it’s using and tally it up with your own math.

E.g. r- “Human” c- “Warrior” n-y 60-60

This is the kind of straw grasping that gets really old on this forum. “The addon is broken!”

“What evidence do you have that the addon is broken?”
“…”

Yeah.

17 votes and 3 comments so far on Reddit

I would posit that, based on my server’s data (Pagle-US) the server cap is between 7-7.5k, as since phase 2 hit, the total population hasn’t exceeded 7k and we are one of the most populated servers (though with almost a 1:4 Horde-Alliance ratio)

So let me get this straight. You think a 26m snapshot is definitive of your server population in relation to a vanilla cap? And therefore caps were never raised?

Blue Post (specifically referring to Herod cap of 10k):

us. forums. blizzard. com/en/wow/t/overcrowded-realm-update/255835

Current census addon aggregate data (I believe this is still broken and will only be reliable in a couple more months of data) [8.4k active, 10.2inactive and has ratio of 64-36]:

wowpop. appspot. com/realms/ herod

Aggregate Horde census addon data on 9-12-19 [63k plus before it was broken by Blizzard]:
[https:// us.forums. blizzard. com/en/wow/t/na-pvp-realm-population-overview-9-12-2019/297900] (old herod data 9-12-19)

Ironforge dot pro has Herod the most active Raid server (7400 players in two weeks total) with a 62-38 ratio:

–cant link but go ironforge dot pro, click demographics, america…last 2 weeks

Note that the number of reporting Raiders on Herod in the last two weeks, exceeds the Census Addon totals of #60’s that logged on in the last three weeks by a thousand.

Note how if the app is working,that Herod has seen a drop of population by 45,000 since 9-12-19 by its own admission.

But somehow your isolated sample size is definitive that there are less than X amount playing Herod…and you trust your data from that app, over the aggregate? You also trust the census addon in being consistent only by ratio, but the aggregate numbers don’t relate between the number of players raiding (and not including those that don’t report) and the total aggregate reported on the app you are relying on as “not broken”

Who is grasping at straws?? You really want to stand by that addon? Something isn’t right when we start talking aggregates and therefore your snapshots are not reliable, nor match data from other sources.

My lord man, I can’t explain this to you in a simpler manner.

• People are claiming that there’s servers RIGHT NOW with 10k concurrent pop.
  • I ran a census of the most populated server at 5:00 P.M., there were 3500~ players online.

Can you even read?

LOGIN QUEUE, NOT CONCURRENT ONLINE USERS. Not to mention, you’re linking multiple month old blue posts. The cap is not the same now that layers have been removed. Months ago, there were 10k+ concurrent users, not now.

1 Like

Here is the thing: we probably agree as to the overall principle that servers are in flux and that others, not me, think caps are 10k now.

But please recall that the issue I have is that app. Can you explain their current numbers in relation to ironforge dot pro?

You can’t.

Either way: relative densities are higher in classic than vanilla. If you think your 26m parse on a specific sliver if time says otherwise…go for it.

In the end: people are leaving. Why do you think that is?

I don’t care, I don’t care about any of that. I was specifically addressing the claims that the servers are reaching absurd concurrent users based on no evidence whatsoever.

There’s nothing wrong with the addon, there’s nothing wrong with Blizzard’s /who functionality. The fact that you tried to make it out like there was proves that you’re the one with the agenda, not me.

I will scan Herod again tomorrow, but at Prime time. I will scan it at 6:30 P.M. and I’ll do it on both factions. There is absolutely no chance that any server is reaching 10k concurrent players and I will prove that, again.

Cool. Lets see what they say. Whatever they are, Ill try to dig up old estimates of aggregates in 2005. We are comparing relative densities after all.

Uhhh, sure, you do you. I still don’t think you understand that

I don’t care.

Some people made some claims, I checked those claims out and they have thus far been proven wrong. You accused me of having an agenda, looking through your posts and the way you’ve been responding, it’s quite clear that you do.

I don’t care if the pop is 3k, 5k or 10k, I don’t have an agenda here other than the facts.

Saul Good man.

1 Like

Blizzard blues are going to claim that they’ve “closely” watched players during layering. Point is they can’t watch everyone and some of those players layer hopped continuously on endgame nodes to soak up materials to sell later on. For instance, arcane crystals were probably dropping 1 out of 10 or 20 nodes at first and now you’re lucky to get 1 out of 50 nodes.

See the dilemma? It screws up the economy of that server. I know of a few players that have loads of crystals stockpiled.

Layering is at the best a band-aid fix, to the server population size.

1 Like

Given the amount of drama these have created on my server i am sure the layer exploiting guilds would love for them to return.

Well, yea. Theres 15 years of info of the most lucrative areas in terms of endgame whether it be dungeon/raids, farming or leveling. So thats where you see most of the players. Back in vanilla ppl were still discovering and were at a lot slower pace. Hell, im pretty sure theres a much higher % of the playerbase bis farming and raiding than there was for the entirety if vanilla. As hard as ppl want to emulate the vanilla experience, you cant make 2019 into 2004

1 Like