Why the New Versatility change means nothing

Sorry to burst your guys bubble but these changes that boost Damage and healing when wearing 2 pvp trinkets won’t fix the problem at all, you’ll see what I mean when Shadow lands is released.

The reason being is because of the fact that it only boosts the damage and healing when wearing the two set trinket and not the defence, BTW defence would be the more important part.

I know what you’re gonna say “but it is gonna scale our damage and healing up to be competitive”, this may be the case but I know for a fact that it won’t scale it up to top end Mythic + gear or raid gear damage/healing, the reason behind that it won’t is because it’s on a PVP vendor and if it was equal to mythic and raid gear, what is the point in pve’ing? It really depends on how far it scales but I know it won’t scale enough to be competitive with a PVE geared player, which in turn will still mean that PVE gear is going to be better for pvp than PVP gear.

This is why we need the trinket set to not only increase the damage and healing but also increase the defence against player combat, similar to resilience. so to balance out the fact that a pve player will do more damage but will also be a glass cannon, and ensure that the pvp player doesn’t just melt.

I don’t want to be cynical but I have put some thought into it and realised that without the defence/resilience side of the set bonus this change really just means nothing, it’s too early to be sure and it all depends on how much, but I seriously believe it’s gonna be another flop.

Look I may be wrong this is only my opinion, I wanna stay positive but with so much negative changes to pvp it’s hard to be positive that they will get it right. I really think they do need to return to the tried, tested and proven pvp power/resilience system back in Cata, mop & wod. This system was the best without doubt and it solved literally all the problems between pve and pvp gear, I don’t get why it’s so hard for blizz just to bring it back and literally fix everything.

16 Likes

Your not wrong, they need to add a PVP stat and thats the only way they will fix the issue. Nothing else they do will fix it, so they need to either budge on the situation and just give in to the PVP community or just straight up tell us to F-off rather then trying to hotfix minor problems to make it seem like they care and are listening.

If they dont add a PVP stat you will see Shadowlands take a huge dump on subscription numbers and in due time the share owners will be forced to sell the game before they cant get any decent profit from the game anymore.

But hey, Holinka clearly cares about the route the PVP system was going when he left or he never would have returned after all the hate he got while doing it the first time. I’m glad that he returned to work on Shadowlands, can’t wait to see it finished. Fingers crossed we get what we been asking for!!

9 Likes

because it only works in PvP instances and war mode?

your set bonus will be useless in PvE content

7 Likes

Without the defense portion of the stat this will just make pvp very spikey. Hopefully quick games are fun games.

2 Likes

they dont even need a pvp stat, just change the bonus to something thats actually impactful like +5-10% dmg done in arena or something

And then…

5 Likes

adding +% dmg wont do anything vs PVE players if the Ilvl and stats on the PVE gear is still better then PVP gear and easy to get, one of the main arguments everyone is having is that PVE geared players shouldn’t be able to dunk on PVP geared players in PVP, They will never tone down the dmg output on PVE gear due to having to kill bosses and such so we need some type of resistance from the raw DPS dmg PVE provides

If you think about what makes corruptions and the current claw/bike/Drest situation so powerful, It’s the gears ability to put so much of the damage into a small window.

How does this relate?

Let’s say you decided to stack +Vers amps, instead of Haste / Gushing. Your extra Vers accounts for 20% damage bonus, and on average your class sees gushing do 20% of your damage, equal trade right?

Wrong. Sustain damage is much easier to respond to, pop a defensive, heal through, and effectively live during a stun. Now look at someone like a rogue, who wants to use their stun as soon as they have damage rolling: Get both bleeds up, get 5 combo points, hope for a gushing proc then stun. Pop dres/bike -> win. The gushing proc in that moment is higher damage in a shorter duration then Vers static damage.

Same is true for haste casters. If a Destro did 20% more damage all game, he might win by attrition, but it’s much more likely he wins by bursting. Because of so much haste a warlock is now able to get off 2-3 big chaos bolts during a stun / coil combo, where before they would typically just get 1 before (with full 3.5 second casts) before their target is out of CC again.

TLDR: without a defensive component the + damage boost to Vers gear will only be relevant if the meta favors dampening. If the game is to fast-paced, or PvE trinkets / gear / procs provide to much burst, the passive sustain isn’t good enough to prioritize using and will ultimately fall short of the goal it is trying to achieve.

4 Likes

a big reason drest and claw are so prevalent is because you can supplement them with defensive trinkets like bmaster or voodoo. both trinkets are pretty much mandatory to play for most classes, so even if there were a drest type trinket in sl you’re at least making the trade off of a) doing 10% less overall dmg and b) not being able to play a defensive trinket like bmaster. i think trade offs like those are healthy for the game. losing out on a permanent 10% damage increase is pretty significant especially now that you have one less trinket slot with pvp trinket returning

regardless none of this would matter if pve trinkets were simply nerfed significantly or outright disabled in pvp which would be the best action to take

What??

Why are you linking two out of context sentences?

Lol how’d you come up with that conclusion?

Firstly, the ilvl’s aren’t even set in stone yet…we don’t know exactly what the conquest gear will scale to except that from 0-1400 ranking you’ll get 190 ilvl pieces.

Fair chance it scales up for the top players to be just under Mythic raid ilvl…which makes sense so that the PvE gear will still be best for PvE, but the versatility and ideal stats will still make the PvP gear better for PvP despite being a few ilvls lower.

Mythic+ gear has been nerfed quite severely…get less loot per dungeon and lower ilvl than Heroic raids now.

1 Like

Agreed PvE trinket should just be disabled in PvP, I don’t know why we needed a 2 piece bonus when this solution is much easier.

1 Like

No we don’t want long dampening games. I rather deal with corruptions again instead.

Because they want everyone to be able to do everything without having to farm up something else, I think they massively overestimated that pvpers wouldn’t want to do the dungeons or raids this xpac.

But I am ok with the bonus as long as it was impactful.

new stat itemization is pretty good though. I went from 10% vers to 25% from vers on all items, and scaled up to 213 in skirmish gives me 30%.

2 Likes

That’s not bad patch 1 of an xpac.

You should log onto beta war game me and tell me that badge with the 20% more vers doesn’t do both :wink:

1 Like

Gotta have beta to log beta, sad face

I have beta, Sitckirikii is right.

I have more Offensive vers on beta at 213 ilvl 30% btw which won’t even be max ilvl s1 than I did fully gemmed in s3 of bfa.

This season Offensive vers fully gemmed with 0 corruption capped out I think around 32-35% Because of the amount of secondary stats we straight up were missing with chest helm shoulders having 0 secondaries.

Even after the stat DRs the bonus from the trinkets imo will be noticeable.

Testing on beta it feels really good. Granted some pve gear still might become problematic and need hotfixes but rn the set bonus and effects of PvP trinkets feels impactful as hell :slight_smile:

2 Likes

That’s good to know. Do you feel like stat on use will still be good? Or maybe lean to Vers on use because of the 20% bonus?