Why the negativity over AV grind?

Funnily enough, this could have easily been fixed by tying them into the BG itself. There’s already quests that have you turning in materials to improve your troops, or summon a tough NPC … why didn’t they make the event quests do something similar?

Again, it’s not completely awful - I’m having a whale of a time with the new-old AV, it’s just incredibly confusing from a design point of view.

1 Like

The battleground is great, the design is absolutely horrible since it funnels players into doing busywork that doesn’t help the team. This design also gives players reasons to keep leaving games until they find a fresh one.

Whoever okay’d this design should never be allowed to make design choices again. Anyone with half a brain that knows how AV works knows this would have been a crappy design. lol

3 Likes

Because 3/4 of the team usually parks theirass at base handing in crap while the rest off us are trying to fend off the entire opposing team.

2 Likes

it creates a conflict between the people who genuinely want to play the classic AV and the people who are only there for a mount.

most games i come into have 10-20 people doing nothing but mine supplies and rams. leaving the rest unable to mount a proper offensive, and slowly getting push backed into the base.

there’s little chance to win when up to half your team doesn’t care about the BG itself. leading to long drawn out losses.

once the horde break into the base and kill off the questgivers the ram and supply guys leave.

i was looking forward to playing the old AV as i find it far more enjoyable than the current version which is a glorified PvE rush.

but every game becomes a horrible slog with no chance of winning.

2 Likes

In 3 hours yesterday and about 1 1/2 hours today on a character I was using Korrak’s Revenge to level, not even farming the mount and only doing what gave me EXP, I am at ~50% on my monk alt. That’s not focusing on farming the mount and pretty casual play time, 2 days of casual play for an event lasting 2 months.

Its not a matter of “That Byucknah guy must have all the time in the world and does not understand how time consuming it is!” but that people expect to be rewarded almost instantly and with no effort in an event that lasts until January.

At 2 hours a day, which is not much, you can get that mount in ~5-7 days, casually.

I no-lifed the mount on my main when the event first came out and it only took 2 days to grind out.

Again, the event lasts 2 months, you have plenty of time to get it even if you only put in 1 hour a day. If it matters to you then put in the time and effort.

I do agree though that the focus on infinite turn ins being primarily PvE focused, since looting players is not a 100% chance given how much competition there is and the people with the lowest MS have the biggest advantage, is bad and that they should not infinitely reward tokens but instead reward a bigger batch daily with a single turn in and subsequent turn ins are just to work towards the buffs so the focus is put more on playing the PvP aspect I also think its blown way out of proportion on how big an issue it is.

People will complain about everything. This game was way better when it wasn’t such an RNjesus, timegated nonsense. You wanted that thing? Buckle up you’re farming for 5 hours. Doesn’t matter if it’s a single go over over a month. You knew exactly what you needed to do.

I wholeheartedly disagree. The following quotes are why it’s bad. The event doesn’t encourage anyone to win or work as a team, it encourages players to take the deserter debuff.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/proficient-way-to-av-mount/355457

This thread covers exactly why it was a really bad design and why whoever okay’d it and designed it had no idea how AV works. This could have been a great event if it was done properly.

If they think 5 AVs is ‘grinding AV’, they won’t like it when classic puts out their rank ladder.

Because it isn’t fun. Because the bar you need to fill up is filled with stupid objectives that aren’t relating to the bg. The amount of grind isn’t so bad as the content of it. Incentivising people to play poorly is stupid and should be complained about.

2 Likes

You get 5% for a win.

1> This AAA game studio that so many of us have so many fond memories of, have given us an anniversary event that, in your own words, truly does feel like WORK and even the dimmest observation can see through the fact this could have been done SOOOOO much better.

2> Let’s say in round numbers we have about 9 weeks to complete this event.

Will you then admit that the player’s experience in week 9 will certainly be much different than in week 1? And not in a good way.

Maybe you’re right and some people are complaining just to hear themselves complain (we all know GD is bad about this). But as an Achv hunter I can tell you there are certain things that are basic and simple when they first release, and are damn near impossible to complete at a later date (for a variety of reasons).

When it comes to limited time events like this, people tend to rush at the beginning and the people that come later are screwed. That is what I find upsetting about it. To say nothing of your glib attitude about it.

If there was a track record of things being consistent over the long haul, then you’d have a point, @Byuck. But that is absolutely NOT the case with limited-time events like this.

The bottom line is that it’s POORLY designed, which in and of itself rankles the average player. To then think BLIZZARD designed it… I’m just at a loss for words for the lack of skill this once-great company seems to handle EVERYTHING lately.

2 Likes

You are confusing two different points of contention and trying to paint my statement as something its not.

At no point did I say that I agree that the Quests are so heavily PvE focused, although AV has always been the “PvE” Battle Ground.

I actually even said that the infinite turn ins for badges is bad and instead you should only get a handful of badges for your first turn in each day for things like the Mines and Armor Scraps and all subsequent turn ins should be to get the buffs for the BG so that people are not just infinitely grinding the mines for Tokens.

However, I still stand by my statement of–

I’ve tried a couple of AVs and the only thing that actually feels reliable is the awful mine turn-in repeatable. I managed to tame a grand total of one wolf before the NPC was filled up, and melee tend to snatch up almost all of the armor scraps from fallen players before I can grab any. But loitering around in the mines feels absolutely worthless from a team perspective and makes me feel like I’m about as useless as an AFKer, so I tried to avoid hanging around in there for more than a couple of trips.

I wish more things overall counted toward getting the mount. Maybe HKs, or being near a flag when it’s capped, or something. But it feels kinda bad to me as-is.

2 Likes

It has absolutely nothing to do with laziness. If anything is lazy, it’s this argument.

2 Likes

Yeah, it’s not the easiest looting as a healer either, when I have to stand in the back, and am constantly spamming heals to keep people alive, especially the melee on the frontlines.

I wish playing the actual BG and working toward the goal of winning — the objective of the match — was worth a heck of a lot more. Questing in the middle of the match feels disruptive.

But I pay my sub so I should get everything I want mailed to me so I can go back to complaining about there being nothing to do in game.

So I figured I’d see what’s up and start the grind. After about an hour I’m at 25%… not sure what the big deal is considering we have a whole month and a half to do this?

Or you know, it’s almost like it’s the fact if you get into partially complete AVs over and over, it could take literally the entire 2 months.

Whereas someone who gets into a fresh AV could be done in 2 hours.

It’s almost like it’s the fact if the opposing team have rogues/druids who stealth and kill the quest NPCs, they don’t respawn. So that AV has become a dud and you can’t ever get badges from it. So people leave, you get shoved back into it, and it’s an endless cycle. And even if you spend the time in that AV farming things for the quest, as soon as you leave AV, they all disappear from your bags.

Quest NPC’s do actually respawn. Its a long respawn, but they do respawn.

The issue is poor design. It goes like this:
*AV win gives 10 badges. A lose gives 5 badges.

• you get somewhere between 2-5 badges in some quests that you can repeat while 1 time ones gives 10.
    -there is no reward for winning that you can’t get in a regular AV.
    Result:
    -people sit at the base to do quest and contribute little to nothing to winning.
    -the ones who want to win are frustrated over the lack of participation to defeat the other faction and proceeds to insult and berate others if they do not contribute to winning.
    -everyone is unhappy because of the above.

What needs to be done to fix it:
-remove or drastically reduce badges rewards from quests and significantly buff badges you get from wins to encourage people to stop sitting at the base/semi afking and participate.

The issue is obvious. The devs did not design this properly and its becoming infuriating to deal with it. They really need to fix it.

1 Like