Why should I try out unholy PvP?

I really like the aesthetic of frost and the lack of pets. I have started to play frost in PvP again since 8.2 saw some much needed improvements.

Is unholy that much better still? I feel like frost is nice and tanky right now, but the single target is lacking compared to what is was when I played in legion.

I haven’t really played unholy much before.

1 Like

Unholy is incredibly strong, this can’t be understated.

Necrotic strike is probably one of the most powerful offensive pressure creating tools in the game, more so because alot of your damage comes from your pets and diseases (sources you don’t have to interact with much to keep the pressure going).

You’re also innately tanky (just like frost) due to the deathstrike buffs we received a while ago.

We’re also very difficult to effectively disrupt since our damage is split over so many sources. When you’re playing as frost, as soon as you’re cc’d, almost all of your damage stops. you also have to spend more resources to actively do damage than you do as unholy.

In addition, you have an extra kick via your pet.

3 Likes

I also struggle with this.
I love the frost theme but… necrotic strike…sigh…

I guess I will give it a shot.

If you like pets then go for it. If you dont like having pets then dont even bother.

unholy is best !!

Some good macros with abilities to help control your pets is key. I find unholy fun because I actually have more than two buttons to press, especially in Warmode.

Yeah, I am in the same boat. I just started playing DK and frost was very easy to learn, and pretty fun. But I could feel a huge different when switching to unholy, especially in the few arenas I have ran so far.

When I miss 2h frost I just equip a frosty transmog. Dual wielding sucks.

2 Likes

This is the massive downside to Frost right now, the lack of 2H for transmog.

So, I tried unholy, and it feels like I am not actually doing dmg, but then am getting top 3dmg in the BG. I don’t really know what I am doing yet sadly. It feels like I am constantly waiting for runes to recharge too. I must be really bad at it still, because I feel like I can kill things better with frost.

I will experiment some more, but frost still feels better to play.

This is all just random BG’s

you can play whatever spec/talentbuild/azerite traits/essence you want in randoms

Sorry, I just meant I don’t play arena. So my experience is from BG’s.

I haven’t found a rhythm for unholy yet, need to spend a bit more time with it.

Unholy is so good, it’s not gear dependent because necro strike is a base 8%. Abomination will wreck everything if they don’t kite it

1 Like

Ok, I was taking mostly passives until I got the hang of the core abilities, I will add abomination in to the mix.

So this is roughly my ‘rotation’?

Outbreak
Festering to 4+
Apocalypse + Dark transformation
necrotic strikes
Festering / nectrotic

Plus death coil proc when it is up

Is that it?

If your pvping, 99% of the time you will be using deathstrike instead of death coil

Only pvp.

So don’t bother with death coil procs?

I wouldn’t bother with it, most of the time you’re not going to be 100% hp, the difference in dmg isn’t worth risking the hp gain

Sorry misread what you said, if you have a free deathcoil proc use it

1 Like

Ok, I will take it off my bar 8) just to get into the habit.

EDIT: it’s back on the bar!

I have basically removed the necrotic dmg alternative too. Forget the name…

1 Like

its 6 or 7% iirc, 8% lasted all of 24 hours. only the absorb and reanimation are %based. the rest of the spec is very gear dependent. in particular you need haste, vers, and str, all of that comes from ilvl.

holy crap stop taking so much damage.

1 Like