Why PVP scaling has to go away in Shadowlands

I’m sure many of you have seen a recent youtube showing 1 shots by well-known player which illustrates how extreme PVP scaling can work in BFA.

This post will discuss legion vs. bfa PVP. The differences and why we need to change in shadowlands.

In legion we had stat templates and ilvl basically got squished. People were on pretty even territory in PVP. That system in many ways was better, but those stat templates weren’t idea for certain specs or for certain classes in rated games. Also, this system didnt encourage PVP’ers to go into PVE content to farm a BIS trinkets from raid.

In legion, most PVP’ers logged on to queue and then logged off. In the end, this didn’t work because it didn’t encourage game growth and multi-content play.

Currently in BFA we went to a PVP scaling system in place of the legion system, where all secondary stats apply but the damage you do and received is based on a modifier that can change by over 200% based on your ilvl. Meaning the damage you take or perform is not based solely on your character, its based on a % modifier that the game applies.

You can check google for, “PVP 1 shots featuring PVP scaling” to understand how this works.

The issue is that as we gain gear in BFA we are both being penalized for having higher ilvl and in other ways rewarded.

The other issue is that sometimes queuing for arena skirmishes the games are either MUCH easier or much harder vs. rated PVP games because of freshly boosted players queuing vs. mythic raiders, and causing a larger PVP scaling issue. I think this can frustrate a lot of people and turn them off to PVP.

At the same time, it’s fun to be a 115 level player and win a match vs. a geared 120 in world PVP. But is it realistic and fair?

PVP at its core was based on gear gained matched with player skills.

As players climb rated PVPand gain more gear they aren’t being truly rewarded for their efforts.

I think we have to do a couple things in shadowlands. 1. Make sure covenant abilities are not available in PVP situations. 2. Go back to a raw item level system, like the game was originally design. Remove all PVP damage scaling and modifiers. Your character is what you make it and then only nerf certain abilities or trinkets in PVP situations to balance the game. With our ilvl squish a pure gear environment should work again.

3 Likes

It worked so well in WoD where you could gear up quickly and pick the gear you wanted. It was essentially a template system where you chose the stats.

Within hours you could be decked out in blues which were only 20 ilvl lower than the BiS epics for PvP.

PvP gear was BiS for PvP. They best way to get gear for PvP, was to do PvP.

WoD nailed it. Revert it please.

24 Likes

That was one spell which was nerfed, or is going to be nerfed.

I guess the question is, who should the system favor, and what should be the end result?

If the end result is allowing players with a 6x greater health pool than newly leveled players to one shot everybody within 50% of themselves, that’s bad for the game. That’s rewarding a small segment of the game population while writing off the players who will be quitting because they simply can’t play.

The huge advantage that the best-geared PvE players have is incompatible with unscaled PvP.

5 Likes

Couldn’t the same be said for versatile stacking imbalance? So such verse that no one dies until healing becomes irrelevant in higher ratings? Or those verse stack players almost 1 shot fresh 120s?

Gear is soo abundant in wow. You can literally get 465 in a couple weeks of conquest farming. I did that on my alt. So having pvp be ilvl based again might be more balanced in shadowlands, once corruption is gone.

To go as a fresh 120 into pvp content and expect to win vs. someone who put in a couple weeks to farm 465 doesnt make much sense. And those at 475 don’t have to much advantage from 465 players anyways.

2 Likes

Did you eat or sleep during those couple of weeks?

7 Likes

I’ve been keeping up with the weekly conquest cap through casual PvP, and I’m in the 450s…

The latest round of conquest gear is only 460 ilevel.

6 Likes

Ya but ur cloak and neck should bump it up abit.

Oh yeah, the cloak that I’m not leveling…

2 Likes

So not only are you down ilvl, you are now down 50% vers amps.

Most people do level it.

But I’ve kept up with the weekly conquest cap, so I should be fine in PvP…

Right?

Right?!

:sob:

5 Likes

So you mean to tell me you are behind the gear curve in more than one way because of pvp only players got screwed?

Ahwell rng weekly box and daily’s are so much fun.

Bring back Pandaland/WoD type vendors. Easy to gear up and everyone is equal ilvl. Easy to gear up alts with those kinds of vendors too. SL is being boasted as a very alt friendly expac…Pandaland/WoD type vendors will make it that much more alt friendly.

4 Likes

I was against the free gear idea, how ever blizzard has proved time and time again that when they mess with things they can go horribly wrong.

Bfa is the only xpac I’ve only capped each week Because I’m not interested in playing bgs.

Also hit unsubscribe the most this xpac also.

More often than not it’s because the rng gearing is just plain bad.

24/7 rated pvp doesn’t sound like an alt to me. It sounds like you got carried. A whole, whole lot.

5 Likes

Sure. 465. Easy peasy

I’m really starting to get the impression that the only people welcome in this game are the heroic/mythic raiders and high-end mythic+ players.

I never thought I would see the day when people needed normal/heroic raid level gear just to do random BGs, and yet people are advocating for it to even get worse.

I’m glad I didn’t preorder Shadowlands.

1 Like

This is a lvl 70 int vers stacked twink “abusing” scaling. I think if bliz implemented this then you have a right to take advantage of this… They did it so those with less gear would have a shot against those with better gear. That being said its an old game, things will be overlooked and things will be broken. Don’t expect this flawless game where everyone hits the exact same.
Also legion did apply templates but allowed twinks to que into bgs. Personally I didn’t notice a difference at all in bgs back then. Either way I could use zerk saltwater and 1 shot half the team before anyone knows what happened.
If shadowlands removes this scaling then who knows how new players would feel. It was done to cater to casuals anyways. Same for templates. Just get gear smh.

but if you think about it, the scaling is penalizing those who do play the game more, and are more dedicated, and doesn’t encourage a large amount of pvp’ers who reach 120 to keep playing and gearing because that gear can hurt them