Why is WoW deleting symlink folders now

Same, gone again. Bump

Also had this happened to me. This deleted a large majority of my screenshots I had taken since TBC. :frowning: Not sure why as I had a symlinked folder inside the Screenshot folder, and it appears the entire Screenshot folder was deleted and replaced. Lucky I at least have the screenshots that we in the symlinked. Comparing to my WTF folder it should have just deleted the symlink, and not the entire folder the symlink was in.

I’m also having this problem. Backblaze refuses to backup anything in the Program Files directory, so I link my screenshots and WTF folder to another drive where they can be backed up. As a last resort I can change WoWs install location to get around this, but it would be nice to just get it fixed.

Bump, gone again today.

Happening so often I made a script (as suggested in this thread) and then when I see the intro screen kick off, I can immediately close wow and run this as administrator to fix it. I had to make a unique one for each system that I am using. In my case the game is installed on the S: drive and I use symbolic links to my Dropbox so those folders are sync’d.

rmdir /S /Q “S:\games\World of Warcraft_retail_\WTF”
rmdir /S /Q “S:\games\World of Warcraft_retail_\Interface\AddOns”

mklink /D “S:\games\World of Warcraft_retail_\WTF” “E:\Dropbox\RLA\gamecfg\WTF”
mklink /D “S:\games\World of Warcraft_retail_\Interface\AddOns” “E:\Dropbox\RLA\gamecfg\AddOns”

Thank you for the continued reports, everyone! We have not forgotten about this issue and have been continuously checking up on your reports.

Our team believes they have found a resolution for this, but it may be some time before it’s ready to be pushed. We’ll continue to update as we have more information! It’s a frustrating issue that’s been happening for quite sometime. Hopefully, it won’t be too much longer :slight_smile: Your patience is greatly appreciated!

3 Likes

It is an irksome issue, but thanks for keeping us posted, glad to know there’s a fix in the pipeline, at least.

Definitely frustrated as I’ve had my shortcuts deleted 3-4 times today.

I’m happy they’ve found a resolution, hoping it comes sooner rather than later!

Bump, just logged out, watched bnet app update wow, watched symlinks disappear…

So it’s random. Sometimes my symlink’s survive and sometimes not. Please let us know when the resolution goes into effect so we can keep an eye out and report. Thanks again for the responses.

It’s never been random for me, every single update has deleted my symlinks.

1 Like

Again, just opened Battlenet, WoW has an update bar… Symlinks gone.

Any updates on this? Deleted my folder again with all my settings…

1 Like

I think that’s the update, it’s still not fixed. :slight_smile: Insane how long it takes to undo a “change” that wasn’t there for years and they had to have purposely added.

No new updates as of yet. Our team is still working on this and a hotfix for the symlink folders hasn’t been pushed yet. There’s some complications with this that our team is wanting to refine and to make sure it’s ready. It may take some time for the fix for this to be pushed, but thanks for following up! We’re still monitoring this issue and will continue to update as we have more information.

Thanks for the update. Still sucks this issue continues, hoping for an update soon.

Happened again. Thanks for update at least.

Hi Caterpepi,

Can you give the community an ETA on when this is coming? Would be nice to know of a future release date or at least an estimation. Pretty annoying to fix when you’re using junctions with many wow accounts.

The product owner should be able to give you a definitive answer on this question or at least an estimate.

1 Like

A post was split to a new topic: Nether - Google Drive and Symlink Issues

So its been a year later and this is still an issue? I have searched the forums and see no resolution to this…