Why is there no Dungeon journal for BGs?

The Dungeon Journal is a great tool for people new to a certain dungeon or raid who want to look up mechanics while in game. It’s nice because it covers basic mechanics as well as more in depth explanations of each ability every boss does, so it can be useful for encounters you’ve done 0 times and even ones you’ve done 100 times if you haven’t read through all the info carefully.

It would be great if BGs had the same thing. Some of them are really confusing if you’re new. How would you expect a player who’s never done IoC before to know what’s even going on for example? Especially since we have the 2 minute downtime at the start of BGs it would give time for people to open up the journal if they’re in a new BG and at least learn the basics of what to do. Then it would be a nice source of some more in depth knowledge with information on stuff like how long nodes/towers take to cap or the number of points certain objectives are worth.

3 Likes

Do we really need a journal to tell people “grab the enemy flag and take it back to your own base”?
BG mechanics are very quick and intuitive to figure out. There’s no obscure mechanics that might not be obvious after two or three runs. Even AV and IoC are quick to figure out, especially if you just ask in chat.

You can also look around the interwebz for some very in-depth guides for BGs that go far beyond any journal that Blizzard would incorporate into the game.
Before you say “but we don’t need to google for pve because we have in-game journal!”, the dungeon journal doesn’t tell you how to actually clear a dungeon/raid. It only informs you of the mechanics that you will encounter. You’re on your own for coming up with raid comps, boss strats, etc, for which most people alt-tab to check a guide.

I am not against the idea of a PvP journal type thing in the game. I’m just not sure that it is really necessary considering what I stated above.

1 Like

I disagree with both of you.

While the basic objectives of a BG might be easy to enumerate, the implications of those objectives are usually wildly complex.

So sure, make a Journal for BGs. It will have the facts, but be borderline useless.

2 Likes

Can you give an example?

Well first of all, I think the people that even read the Dungeon Journal are less than 1% of the player base.

But I like your idea so I made a Dungeon Journal entry for Arathi Basin.

Arathi Basin (PvP)
Select from the following class:
[Warrior | Demon Hunter | Druid | Paladin | Mage]

1. Push your DPS or HEAL button
  2. Click the flag to “capture” it
  3. Tell your team they are bad
  4. Repeat as needed
2 Likes

You can’t mention AB without saying something about Road Fighting.:joy:

of course.

the objective of AB is to get 1500 resources before the other team… but there are literally thousands of indications that arise from this simple directive.

For Alliance players, there’s 2 simple rules that for some reason, after 15 years, people still can’t seem to get into their thick skulls.

• Target Enemy Healers to keep them from healing their teammates.
  • Fight on the flags regardless of who has control.

If everyone on Alliance followed these simple rules, we’d see a lot more wins.

1 Like

yes. people literally do nothing but fight mid the entire game.

Yes. In Arathi Basin, you’re supposed to grab at least 3 bases and hold. Seems simple right? Well except when half of your team would rather fight on road then do objectives.

And a journal isn’t going to help those players.

That is just one way to win AB.

Road fighters do it by choice. They know we need bases to win.
People join randoms for a number of different reasons and those may not align with your own reasons. Some people just want to wander around killing people, with little care given to whether the team wins. These people are not going to stop because of a Battleground Journal. And there is nothing you can do about that :+1:

why do I feel like by “these people” you mean herc?

Because you’re a potato who wants to point fingers instead of looking at the points being made.
Oh well.

:potato:

no, you contradict yourself by saying a dungeon journal wouldn’t impact anything, and that’s why they shouldn’t be added. if you actually believed that you wouldn’t care if they created one for battlegrounds.

take your own advice m8.

I’ve already stated, in this thread, that I am not against the idea of a Battleground journal. I also didn’t say that a journal would not impact anything.
So either you lack basic reading comprehension or you’re blatantly twisting words (or ignoring) because you have nothing else to say. I’ll let you decide which option it is :+1:

I addressed your point.
You responded by trying to imply that I’m a road fighter, hence the potato statement.

With all the battleground data, it would be cool to what the developers can think of.

I wouldn’t use their suggestion of a random / rated battleground, but it would be a good feature to see what the opposing can do. But can’t do it in the instance, it would be prior.