Why is TBC free?

Classic had an initial surge of popularity before settling into failure though. The entire thing seems to exist so eventually wrath classic can exist and then the wrath babies get their fix of nostalgia. Everything to that point exists just as a stepping stone. (I didn’t even like wrath much though tbh)

Or, because people want to play through the content up to that point???

And by what standard do you qualify something as a “failure”?

Simple minded folk around these parts.

1 Like

No people aren’t playing it because the devs didn’t have enough money to make classic good which is why TBC should be at least $60 dollars to play, along with a monthly sub.

Classic was free with a monthly sub which is why it died. No money, no cash shop

You can search my post history for links to what actually happened as far as classic participation. It started out okay then dive bombed then never got better. It’s not an opinion either. And the arguments against data have always been “but it lags in org when I get muh world buffs!!!” So.

Please refrain from calling others simple minded. Just because you don’t understand how games succeed with more money doesn’t give you the right to act immature.

I understand why you can’t understand simple things such as my post, but keep this civil. I never insulted you for being ignorant and incapable of grasping basic concepts.

Sadly classic is dead because devs had no money to make it last since it was free and had no cash shop.

I agree with you

People are still playing it. I was playing earlier tonight. Also, there will be more people playing it in future. Just because many players are focused on TBC now doesn’t mean no one is interested in Classic.

Do you think Blizzard continues to release content for retail because it’s a failure?

2 Likes

part of the reason why they don’t charge for it when they did charge for WC3 and are gonna charge for D2 is because a lot of the people playing this game wouldn’t pay for it because they played on illegal private servers for 10+ years. the entire classic thing is catering to people who admit on the forums all the time that they’re thieves. notice any time a large group of people disagree with something on this forum what happens.

Diablo 2 and WC3 remakes are also one-time purchases (and WC3 was a huge fiasco as is), rather than a purchase and a subscription. They can’t have both for old games.

Well I could think of some reasons…

Certain realms you don’t have a sub fee
A majority of players have already purchases TBC and they couldn’t resell it to those players with potential legal issues and 100% PR issue with changes a ton which they aren’t.
They are still selling it to you in the form of a disguised store mount (The collectors edition that gives the warp stalker mount).

Least likely of all… maybe they actually care.

do you think anyone would’ve paid an $80 box cost for this game even if it didn’t have a sub? no. the entire life of classic people have been asking for the subs to be separated from retails and for the classic only sub to be much cheaper, or free. apparently everything in the game has been paid for 20 years ago and blizz does nothing but laugh maniacally while counting all our money. lol

You weren’t playing it tonight, I know you want Classic to sound like it succeeded but there’s no need to lie about your game activity.

Classic has no people playing right now because it’s dead. Sadly it had no money since it was free.

That is also why they are making TBC. Good MMOs that are successful don’t have to make expansions because there’s no reason to add anything extra to something that is already good.

Why would it cost $80? It’s not a new game. There’s no way they would charge $80 if it was just buy to play. They also don’t consider selling copies to be a metric for success, they prefer milking players with long-term investments via subscriptions. It’s also a way to persuade current players to dabble in them, as it’s the same subscription for all WoW versions.

Most people don’t really care about the subscription being tied to retail. Some would rather an either/or, but it’s whatever.

Diablo 2 and Warcraft 3 also died because they didn’t make enough money for these games. But this thread is about WoW’s future, not diablo and Warcraft. Maybe if they add them to mobile it will succeed.

if they had remastered it it would be the same price as a new game, though. which the newest wow expansion i paid $80 for. so.

How do you know this? I was leveling my Paladin for about an hour to eat through rested. Then I farmed DM:E for a while too for gold - and then I sent it to my bank alt, updated auctions, and am now on the forums.

Just because you don’t think anyone is playing it doesn’t mean it is.

My $15/month cost says otherwise.

I really don’t get you. At this point I have to assume you’re a dedicated troll. It’s not a good look, and it’s rather weird to make yourself out to look rather stupid. What do you gain? Satisfaction that you embarrassed yourself?

…yeah, a troll. Who would play the same content for 10 years straight with no updates?

2 Likes

They do care, and there isn’t proof of them adding store mounts to TBC.

That is a good idea though. I think they need a cash shop. Maybe sell raid gear on store? And mounts with greater speed then what’s in game? This would help save TBC because they would be able to make money finally…

New content =/= remaster. Also, few players wanted a remaster at all.

Again, there is literally no way Blizzard would charge players a fee to unlock the content and a sub when it’s clear that the ease of access and the ability to dabble for existing players gives way more attention.

Literally just got out of a BWL… Did another BWL yesterday, and the day before that I did a AQ40 and BWL… in fact this has been my week.

Tues: Naxx
Wed: BWL
Thurs: AQ40
Fri: AQ40, BWL
Sat: BWL
Sun: BWL

I’ll likely run another raid at some time today…

Classic is far from dead.

Ah, your a troll… probably should have read your entire post…

You’re being rude and it is obvious you don’t play classic. I doubt you ever leveled a character on classic like I have. You have 0 proof.

You’re a troll.