Why is layering still a thing

they did, and it still is. we are still in phase 1 my dude, they said it would be removed in phase 2. we arnt in phase 2 yet.

luckily there is actual no reward or ANYTHING for pvp yet in the game.

Yeah it kinda ruins pvp servers I shoudnt have to ask for invites and hope some other joe or Nancy invites me to the pvp scene : /

Yeah, which magically is always the alliance. It’s been an alliance buff since its been released…you can save me from the “it COULD switch” BS. They always have 25-30% and free heroic raiding gear. :roll_eyes:

There shouldn’t be a buff anyway. Nobody should be need to be bribed to turn WM on. If you want to PvP, you turn it off. If you’re going to come to the forums and cry “OMFG HELP BLIZZARD 2 MANY HORD 5 ME!” then keep it off. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Why is whining about layering still a thing?

1 Like

Because it impacts many facets of the game and we are in the removal window blizzard mentioned

Or hear about it since WorldDefense isn’t enabled.

Because layering is still a thing.

Why is lapping up everything Blizzard hands you still a thing? That’s exactly how retail happened.

Really? I know the time of day is a factor, but I see less players and less activity now more so than ever before. It’s actually starting to feel like Retail, which is depressing for me.

how is it that people misunderstand layering and still think that its removal will increase queues?..

you have to really not be paying attention

1 Like

I get the ‘spirit of vanilla’ thing. I was there. But if they remove the layers and it’s so crowded that it’s unplayable I don’t see how we would benefit from that. If population doesn’t fall off and they want to remove layers they’re going to have to break up the large servers or something.

Because we pay attention to what blizzard has actually said. That only a specific number of people will be online at a time. Like if your server has consistently 15k players online over 3 layers, but then drop it to one layer with 5k cap, thats 10k people extra in queue to login.

because blizzard admitted that removing layering will increase queues.
let me clarify some wording here.
sharding ensures a zone is not too crowded.
layering allows a single server to exceed its normal capacity.
a realm as we know it was designed to hold around 2500-3000 people.
a server though, can handle a much larger amount of people.
what layering does its creates multiple copies of the same world, such that a single server can help a realm hold more people via those copies.
so if a single layered realm would only have a cap of 3000, a realm with 2 layers would have 6000 people cap. 3 layers would have 9000 cap on it, so on and so forth.
when blizzard gets rid of layering, they are not having mega servers with 9,000 or 15,000 people online. they are going back to that cap of roughly 3,000 i mentioned before. all those extra people? where do you think they are going to go? they will go to queues.

if you want more information - here is blizzard saying they expect severe queues when you remove layering (here is looking at you, faerlina, herod, etc).

if you want information on how layering was designed to work and the removal window, here is an interview with Ion, complete with him explaining how a few weeks after launch they will be collapsing down on layering.

1 Like

it won’t be crowded because those people will be sent to queues. classic is not having mega servers with 10,000k people online like private servers did.

why do you think they warned people about a month and a half ago and have been providing free transfers to high population servers? they have all but been banging people over the head with the fact that your queues are going to get much worse and the people on those servers all sit there going “no this is fine”.

I feel like Blizzard thought layering would be a good way to avoid dead/low pop servers after the ‘Classic Buzz’ was over. I would prefer that Blizzard either come out and tell us layering is here to stay or start removing layers and opening servers/transfers. As you said, until people see the futility of being on some of these realms with out layering, free transfers will not be used to their fullest.

1 Like

Because I had to get up at 2am to do the STV quest for Zanzil Mixture because during normal play times there are 20 people standing around trying to steal the 10 mobs that drop it in each area…

Dropping layering is the dumbest thing possible… can you imagine 10 layers of people all on the same layer? You would have 100 people camping 10 mobs and no one would get anything done…

Layering will continue to be a thing as long as its safe for level ones to traverse the world due to everything being down as soon as it spawns.

Think of Layers as temporary servers. When they’re gone, its as if they merged dead servers.

1 Like

I don’t disagree. They made an effort to try to spread the population out and that wound up not being nearly enough. I’m just curious about how it’s going to end now that many solutions look like they’re going to bring more negatives than just keeping layering in place.

That does not matter, keeping layering in, using sharding, etc, are not options.

You wouldnt get 10 layers of people on 1 layer. Thats not how it works.