Why hunters still use "growl" in LFG?

Yep. If I have a cat pet, it’s always in stealth. I’ll turn it off and it’s in stealth.
Always.
So I don’t use it.

Then, when I dismiss my pet, he’s right back just a few moments later.

He’s needy.

1 Like

You’ve pugged right? You know this to be a lie, how many times I have seen a pet go off and hit something it shouldn’t makes me wonder if the learning curve is enough for players to actually learn how to play.

Report it as a bug and hope it will be addressed soon. It’s a very annoying thing as hunter/lock.
I’ve only seen it happen in leveling dungeons though, when doing legacy instances and current content, it seems to work??

Something is hitting me? I’m growling it off me. but other than that, it’s likely the bug.

And yes, I’ve managed a few dungeons where the tank left for whatever reason and just had my pet tank and the healer keeping an eye on it.

This made me laugh a lot.

Thank you.

1 Like

Taunt is turned off on my bars.
I tanked for years, I never interfere with the tanks job, to pull and position mobs where he wants.
If I use taunt, it is needed, and intentionally used.

• Mob beating on healer, tank not peeling: Ice trap, someone breaks cc, mob still on healer, single use taunt.
  • Tank dies, Taunt gets turned on until we clear surviving trash.
  • Healer bails on group, we continue pulling, tanks obviously dying, taunt to prevent wipe.
2 Likes

I started a fresh Hunter in BfA to learn Survival from the ground up, and leveled almost exclusively through dungeons to level 60 or so before I got bored, and I can’t remember a single accidental Growl. I’ve always kept it turned off and keybound to the same key I use for taunting when tanking (I have another Hunter who’s 110, just haven’t played him since Legion).

And speaking from the tanking side, yeah, it’s annoying because it’s distracting. You eventually get used to it – and to other tanks taunting off you for no reason when they join your fight in progress on open world content. Most of the time it doesn’t matter, but In a high-stress situation when a bunch of stuff has been face-pulled and the tank is trying to gather things up, those wasted brain cycles and globals could potentially cause a problem.

EDIT: And the post above mine is a perfect illustration of skilled hunter play.

If I see a hunter with growl switched on in a dungeon and they don’t sort it out after they get notified about it in case they are not aware, this hunter gets replaced with another more capable dps.

I don’t care about any excuses.

1 Like

I use to have to manually have to turn it off then Blizz put in some auto off thingy. I still check to make sure it’s off before we start but if there’s a bug that keeps it on then it isn’t activating it cause I think I would notice it on CD.

Also, I will manually click growl if I see tank is busy and someone is pulling aggro. I just make my pet pull that mob back to pile tank has.

I like this addon. It’s a nice reminder to turn Growl off if I had to turn it on.

1 Like

Just let the pet die and ignore what it’s taunting the hunter will get the idea eventually.

I frequently encounter the opposite problem. The tank is about to die or dies and I hit Growl and nothing happens. I have also seen many time before when Growl did work properly where I would pull the mob off the tank so the healer could get them back up only for them to taunt back and die.

man, are they ever bugged. My simply refuses to go passive 90% of the time.

Driving me nuts in open world questing.

ok

???

That sucks and I know it’s annoying to have a pet constantly take aggro from yeh… however it shouldn’t be completely disabled, because if a tank dies / disappears or something, a pet is often used to tank a few adds, to help to group still move forward.

Also, if they were to disable it, extra coding would have to be put in place to determine if a pet’s taunts are needed for a solo hunter / warlock, or even a group utilizing one of them.

Nor does any taunt. All the caps and italics in the world doesn’t make you any less wrong.

Here is what taunt does, for people who might not know other than what Raistlin has dribbled.

• forces the target to attack you for 3 seconds
  • makes your threat equal to the current highest on the threat table
  • increases the threat you generate for a period of time

Hunter pet taunts work exactly the same way as tank taunts do, except they do not work on dungeon or raid bosses.

No taunt reduces the current tank’s threat. It makes the taunter’s threat equal to the current top threat. It doesn’t change their threat level at all.

I think most just have it on in the open world, and don’t think when they’re in a group setting, kinda like how I sometimes forget to switch pets on my warlock and have my tank out. So you could turn growl off perma in group play, but like many of the answers suggest, it’s needed sometimes. That wouldn’t fix the warlock problem either, as I’ve seen people go through whole dungeons without anyone saying anything, while having their big ol purple tank out. Kinda feel like the easiest fix is someone having to suck it up and ask each group to make sure growl and tank pets are off.

It takes damage off of me as a tank and goes into peoples pets so it’s like a mini mitigation cooldown. Loss of dps for the hunter if their pet dies, or if they waste pet gcd casting a defensive to live but you know, whatevs. I’ve never had too many issues with it

It’s automatically turned off when you enter a dungeon or raid. And I main hunter and have never seen this “bug” where it randomly turns itself back on. I can only assume people are fatfingering the manual cast of taunt or the tank is simply not generating decent threat.

It’s totally possible for a hunter pet to grab aggro during skittish week just like it is for any other DPS. But I’ve never seen my pet take aggro from a tank any other time.

like several others have said, a dead pet is easier to rez than a tank. The only 2 problems I’ve ever noticed with hunters is them clicking on targets, causing them to autoattack, pulling stuff, and not paying attention where they’re facing when Barrage goes off (guilty times infinity).

I use growl when the situation demands it. If a tank leaves after a boss for reasons, or if a tank pulls too much, or if a tank doesn’t pick up adds for whatever the reason. Usually I just turn it on, tell Stupid to fetch the mob, and then turn it off when everything is back under control.

I know that’s not what you’re referring to, buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut, I would be remiss if I didn’t at least admit to forgetting to turn it off once in a while.

Honestly, as annoying as it was, I feel like things like Aspect of the Pack and Growl not being automatically turned off actually help produce better hunters. Everything being automatic is making hunters lazy and being that hunters are already naturally clumsy and foolish, we don’t need to spice it up with lazy.

/IMO