Why hunters still use "growl" in LFG?

Seriously, I don’t mind dealing with bad players or mistakes. But why most hunter I’ve seen so far turn back on Growl or make their pet growl on purpose.

One hunter said “oh if my pet aggro is because you are bad and you need to taunt back” Okay, I get that I need to get the aggro, but how about hunters stop being annoying on purpose?

A joke once in a while is fine, I’m not that dense. But this happens a lot lately. Blizzard did not do a good of editing that LFG auto turn of growl. It should just be entirely disabled.

Edit: In any case, In regards to what has been said here by Nzhuv.

If the growl function is bugged, then this really needs a fix.

4 Likes

Pets are bugged. I recently leveled another hunter up to 110, and more than a dozen or so times I had to dismiss and resummon to make him stop growling.

It doesn’t show growl turned on, but you’ll it get used.

20 Likes

I can’t imagine this going well in end game scene. This should be definitely addressed. Else I can imagine a hunter meme again like the one from BC Hunter Army or WotlK Hunter needing on every dam weapons.

2 Likes
  1. Like Nzhuv said, it often bugs out and doesn’t properly turn off Growl until the hunter dismisses and resummons the pet. Most won’t even realize it’s happening because the rotating border around ‘Growl’ won’t be there, so they’ll think it’s the tank if there’s any issue.

2. Honestly it’s hardly a big deal something like 95% of the time if a pet taunts. It takes some damage off of the tank and usually happens in the mob pile anyway since the hunter isn’t going to be targeting some random mob off in the distance. It’s more of a tank ego thing than anything else.

10 Likes

Em… It is annoying, as a Tank you’re checking that all the time “Am I being hit by everything and is everyone safe?”
Having fake red flags distracts you

8 Likes

No, it should not (be disabled in a group).
If the tank dies, sometimes the hunter can turn on growl and have the pet do the tanking long enough to kill the mobs. Then the group can res the tank.

A pet (hunter or warlock) can make a decent “emergency tank” when needed.

29 Likes

Pets auto-growl when they use certain abilities that even happens when auto-growl is turned off. The biggest offender is Stomp (There’s a survival skill I haven’t figured out that causes it as well). It’s a bug that pops up that they still haven’t fixed.

It’s not that we turn it back on. And honestly, it really doesn’t affect you as a tank. The Pet Growl isn’t a true taunt. Your threat isn’t wiped on the target. Once the pet dies, your threat is still the same as it was.

The only difference is, the pet momentarily had higher threat than you. If anything, all it did was save you some damage.

And no, it should not be entirely disabled. I’ve saved groups by having it taunt off the healer because the tank was not paying attention, or because the tank died.

Check your ego.

10 Likes

This has nothing to do with Ego. Far from it.

Some people tank for enjoyment and yes, perhaps you did use your pet to intervene and a tank could have been blind eye to it.

Some other tanks, take pride are their role. Same that DPS like to see good numbers and being methodical with their rotation, or healing planing their cool downs for clutch heals as necessary.

I am watching over entire party, ensuring everything is gathered up together, in my case trying to ensure green flag since that is how I’ve set up my game to know everything is under control. Which on top of that, makes cleaving easier and progressing through content.

If you really want to talk ego, we can refer back to your reputation crying for having the unicorn mount you did months ago.

2 Likes

I have a new lowbie hunter. Growl auto turned off on zoning into the instance. Then, the growl turned back on at a later point in the instance to auto-cast. Stripes is a leopard from just outside Ironforge. If I had to turn it off at the start of the instance, I would have already figured out how to click the growl to turn it off. As it was, I was pretty panicked about being kicked on a dps queue (ewww… I’m only doing it for the tabard rep for the heritage armour… generally I only tank or healer queue).

It has everything to do with ego.

We aren’t turning on Growl. It’s a bug in the game that you’re getting hurt about because we can’t stop it from happening. So you’re demanding Blizzard disable the ability for us to growl at all, when it can actually save groups, and we’ve proven it can save groups time and time again.

Auto-Growl is turned off by default when we join a group. Period.

Certain abilities for some reason, still cause growl to auto cast. It’s been a bug since BFA started. We can’t stop it. Nor can we disable those abilities because they are a huge part of our DPS.

If you don’t like it? Tough. Get over it. All that’s happening is our pet is mitigating a small part of the damage you take.

It’s entirely an ego thing for you if you have a problem with it. No different than if I personally took threat from you from dealing too much damage, which I’ve done before on tanks.

Bosses are immune to pet Growl after a certain level, so unless you’re telling me you’ve NEVER ONCE lost threat to DPS on trash packs, which I will gladly tell you to your face you’re lying, it’s entirely an Ego thing. The AoE damage tanks put out is not enough to hold threat on every mob in a trash pack equally. If a DPS goes ham on something the tank is not targetting, they will pull threat from it, (I cannot tell you the amount of times I have pulled threat from pretty much the entire trash pack on my Fury Warrior because the tank cannot put out as much threat compared to the AoE DPS I’m doing as Fury) as such, it’s no different than a pet growling it.

6 Likes

It’s more you jumping at the defense of your class to be honest. Just trying to throw blame and writing false accusations or me lying just prove enough that you’re not being very constructive about this.

If you want to claim ego issues, at lease use proper forms of explaining instead of just keep on blaming and praising how your pet did an amazing job. I’ll give you the best example, you just stated the follow:

(I cannot tell you the amount of times I have pulled threat from pretty much the entire trash pack on my Fury Warrior because the tank cannot put out as much threat compared to the AoE DPS I’m doing as Fury)

And you call me a liar? It’s not people fault if you accept dealing with people who Don’t take to heart their job. Anyone serious would more then laugh at this statement. Get your facts together, not your anger out on others.

2 Likes

On my hunter the only time I turn growl back on is if the tank takes a dirt nap and battle rez isn’t available.

6 Likes

A good tank should be able to see that a mob is on a pet and not a player. If they want to taunt back, fine, but it’s usually a good thing in higher m+ to reduce the load on the tank and healer (provided the pet doesnt get nuked immediately and gut the hunters’ dps).

It’s no different than a Shaman using Earth Elemental on a nasty pull.

Unicorn Mount?

I don’t give a crap about mounts in general.

If I said anything, it likely had more to do with effort vs reward, not personal ego.

I never pointed the unicorn mount in reply to you?

Fair enough. I mentioned ego a few posts up, my bad.

Best to dismiss and resummon your pet beforehand. Just in case.

You expect courteousy in LFG?

I’ve been leveling a couple alts lately and I’m gonna have to echo the above. There’s definitely a bug going on with it. It’s not all the time, nor is it too frequent, but every now and then Growl swaps to auto cast despite it not being set to it. The only way you’ll really notice is either if you actively watch your pet bar, or notice the debuff on the target.

I’ve taken to dismissing and resummoning my pet every time I enter a dungeon, as well as renabling and disabling Growl manually to try to avoid it. That’s the only way I’ve found to fix it.

It definitely needs to be fixed, hopefully soon.

1 Like

I never kept it on. But I did keep it on my keybinds. Saved myself or the tank a lot of times by pulling whatever we were fighting off him or me just long enough for the healer to get things squared up again. Better for my pet to die than the tank. Rezzing a pet is easier than blowing wind after white castles and a beer.
Short of that they shouldnt be using it at all unless the tank asks them to.

Get the addon called Bad Pet.
Set it to announce in /i .
All hunters will be embarassed.

1 Like